Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Strange smell is nose, accomanied by sores?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I get this smell in my nose that comes and goes. No one else can smell it. The smell kind of reminds me of fertilizer or exhaust/gas fumes or something close to it. I've tried to equate it to different things, but the only thing I can relate it to seems to be stress. This does not explain the small, sores that crop up on the very inside tip of my nose. They are tender to the touch. I can go days without smelling the smell in my nose, but when it comes back it annoys me like crazy.
I have the same type of problem I get a sweet smell in my nose (kind of smells like eucalyptus) its not a bad smell but I get it a few times a week its weird I thought I was the only one in the world that had a smell in my nose that no one else could smell..  People think I am crazy!  I do also get sores in my nose but they do not come with the smell.   Good luck in finding the answer your seeking
I've had somewhat the same problem now for almost 5 years. Mine smells like dirty feet or dirty sock. It comes and goes seems like it will be gone for a couple weeks maybe a full month. Then come back in full smelly force. I also get sores inside the tip of my nose.  This has mainly been in the right nostril. I've thought about the neti pot. I may just have some sort of chronic fungal infection. Anyone answers? Home Cure? anything?
I know what you're talking about. Something like that is called a phantom smell. I lost my taste and smell completely about 12 years ago after I had a very bad head cold. The ENT doctor I saw tested me for a brain tumor, but found nothing. He couldn't figure out what my problem was, so he just shrugged his shoulders and said very cavalierly that I'd just have to live with that. I went ballistic in his office because I didn't appreciate his glib attitude knowing I'd lost two of my five senses.

Then he remembered reading an article by a researcher who he thought might be able to help me. The long and short of it is that the doctor who'd written the article did help me. I gained back at least 95% of both taste and smell after being treated for a few years. I will always be forever grateful to that doctor! If you want to pursue possible help for your phantom smell, I strongly recommend you see him.

The doctor's name is Robert Henkin. He runs the Taste and Smell Clinic in Georgetown (Washington, D.C.). The clinic's Website is http://www.tasteandsmell.com/. Go have a look at the site and contact them. I think a phone conversation with Dr. Henkin would be a good way to go. If you do contact Dr. Henkin and pursue this with him, please let me know how things go. Good luck!