Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Strange swelling sensations in head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Strange swelling sensations in head

I have had strange sensations of swelling/shrinking in the forehead, top of head, back of head, and into the throat since January 2007. My ENT suspects referred sensations of nasal lining swelling, possibly stress-related (and once suggested 'something muscular' offhand but with no explanation). I'm looking for other possible explanations.

The sensations I feel include large slabs of smooth tissue moving around, along with sensations like wires pulling, and lately a weird feeling like a stiff wire structure that's moving around, tangling with the other stuff. These feel very physical, and very precisely located; I can sometimes move them slightly with facial gestures.

When most swollen, I can feel folded-over slabs of stuff; there's a fair amount of pain and discomfort if they get 'pinched'. When it shrinks to a low, I can feel an empty space behind my nose being opened. Wire-like things stretch and pull, often feeling like they're behind the ears, or running inside the top of the head.

The swelling/shrinking is very distracting when it happens quickly - which it does sometimes (from one extreme to another in a few hours) and at least is worrying. It sometimes feels like its behind the eyes, which is uncomfortable.

This may be related to using papaya enzyme tablets for sinusitis for a couple months, 3-4 a day dissolved in the 'buccal pouch'. I stopped in December when the sensations became peculiar and uncomfortable - I could feel stuff sticking/unsticking, aespecially lying down at night, and began to feel the wires/cables pulling at times.
Tags: head, eyes, swollen
hello I feel the same way but I have done alot of drugs and been in alot of mental hospitals.
I have "swelly head" feels like under my eyes are swollen, down into my jaws, down in neck , up in forehead and in the back of my head, sometimes it feels like my whole head is swollen, sometimes only parts of it. Cant figure it out. If you find out,please let me know. Maybe its hormonal?
Did u ever find out what was causing your weird head sensations.  Please let me know
I have head sensations like a wave is sweeping over my head... feels very weird... At first I thought vertigo..but I have had vertigo twice and this is not that. I have had a mri and they found 3 white spots but the doctors say this not related. Due to aging they say.They can not explain it. Does anyone have any ideals.
plz help i've been having the same sensations also, i feel like there are wires in my head and behind my eyes, i can move them with certian facial expressions, i've done ecstacy a bunch of times in the past, and have taken brazilian pills to get skinny, ive also had a septoplasty done, what could it be, the pain is unbearable i feel it from the moment i wake till i go to sleep, it feels like wires in me head and behing my eyes, i need answers! plz e-mail me : help.***@****