Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Submandibular duct right side is bigger than the left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

my right side submandibular duct/gland is bigger  than the left side(swollen) .when I put my fingers I can feel the lump on the right side but not on the left side. I dont feel pain or anything.  I went to ENT doc 6-7 months ago and he said it's ok and sent me home without ultrasound or anything . just like that. when I asked him why? he said it is usual that the other side is bigger than the other. I am still worry. I tried to feel the ducts on some of my family members and I can't feel them (left and right). I am really worry. is this normal? to have the lump? It has been a year now since I first discovered the lump.  
anybody?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Mild asymmetry of the body structures is common. But, a persistent lump needs to be evaluated to rule out a tumor. If the duct is blocked it can cause an obstruction and swelling of the gland. This could also result in an infection. If the salivary gland is swollen with pain, it could indicate an infection. You will need to consult your doctor who may need to do a  culture and sensitivity if there is discharge to determine what antibiotic the organism is susceptible to.  He may even ask for blood test and an X ray. In the meantime take OTC acetaminophen if there is pain and  try to take warm oral fluids.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.