Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sudden Parotid Gland Swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Sudden Parotid Gland Swelling

I've recently gotten a cold like sickness from my brother in which he had an upper respiratory infection. The sickness worked it's way through me and I am almost completely 100%. However Yesterday (Jan 31 2009) at around noon time I began to notice that my right parotid gland start to swell a little bit. I decided to take some ibprofen and some sudafed due to me thinking that it was a drainage issue. After dinner that day 2 hours later, the gland got more tender but not bigger. Upon falling asleep and waking up in the morning, I was awaken to the tender pain of the gland as well as it has grown around double in size to what it was the previous day. So it took a time of around 6-8hours to reach the size it is now.

I'm not too happy on the whole ordeal mainly because 4 years back I had my left Parotid gland removed due to a benign mixed tumor (was there for 2 years, never hurt, grew in size but was never tender.)

My folks keep telling me it's due to the cold/infection I might have but in the back of my mind, I'm thinking, "Not this again."

Right now I'm taking ibprofen, sudafed, drinking water and applying a warm compress to it and it has decreased the pain to a minimum but there is still apparent swelling and a feeling of pressure involved.
Did you find out what it was ?