Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sudden painful nose bridge for no apparent reason

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

OMG - I woke up with it this morning, out of the clear blue sky just like the rest of you.  The bridge of my nose is painful if I pinch it even lightly and now I'm starting to feel headachy.  No real headache, only that just-before-the-headache feeling.

This is totally weird, and after reading in this thread what may ensure over the next few days or weeks, I'm not exactly thrilled.

There doesn't appear to be any answer from a moderator.  Did I miss that somewhere along the scroll?

Annie
i woke up with my left nostril swollen,red, throbbing. it hurts when i smile!  now I'm getting a headache and my eye is starting to ache. Whats going on?
I noticed the bridge of my nose was swollen, July 17!  I was on vacation and thought it had something to do with being in the sun.  It got painful and then looked like a pimple was developing.  I tried hot compresses, tried to squeeze it.  It only looked worse!  I tried drawing salve, nothing happened.  It is very painful, also went to the cartilage between my nostrils!  I finally went to the dermatolgist before Labor Day.  He looked at me and said "I don't know what is!??"   He gave me some clear steroid cream and said to apply 2x day and come back in two weeks?  It really hasn't improved much.  After finding this site and all your info I   I made appt. with my ENT and got it for today!  I will let you know what he thinks.  It hurts!  I can't believe so many are experiencing this strange thing?  I was worried about skin cancer too!  Althoug I was reading about sebaucaus (might not be correct spelling) which are oil glands that cause pain and swelling, glands that get clogged.  But why wouldn't the dermatologist have thought of that?

Will keep you all posted.  Hope I get some relief and good news!
Myboo2
I also just started getting that pain as well this week. It's very wierd. Never had that before.  It is right at the top of the bridge of my nose right where the nose meets the face level between the eyes.  no pain on it's own, but a tightness feeling there.  but hurts when touched.  has anyone gotten a real diagnosis yet? Being December 24th I can't really get in to see my doc for a few weeks and doesn't really bother me that much if I don't touch it so I'm not really that freaked out about it "yet".  please if anyone knows what this is,,,,, let us all know.
I woke u on Monday morning (today is Wednesday) and I felt as if I had been punched in the nose. Not to be gross but I do pick my nose a lot so I thought that maybe I scratched it and later it would feel better. As the day progressed it was worse and worse but no apparent swelling or any other symptoms that would point to sinus issues which are a frequent for me. After work I came home and ate supper. Around 10 PM a migraine hit me like a ton of bricks and within 20 minutes I was running to the restroom to vomit. Mind that usually after the onset of a migraine for me it takes a few hours before I get sick. Yesterday (Tuesday) I went to a local medical clinic as I do not have a primary physician. The doctor heard migraine and I guess made her diagnosis on the spot. She said migraines can cause nose pain and wrote me Midrin. Did not even look in my nose, guess that is what I get for going somewhere that is frequented by poverty stricken people that live in the area (they offer a sliding scale for low income) and there policy is get em in and out asap . Today I decided to get a second opinion and went to Doctors Care and they took one look in my nose and without hesitation diagnosed me with cellulitis (staph infection). I was prescribed Doxycycline Hyclate 100MG tablets and also they administered a shot of antibiotics and gave me a prescription for Bactroban nasal ointment. Seems this is a really serious infection that can spread to your brain if not treated and thanks to my own gut feeling I got a second opinion. Will update on the outcome in a few days as to if this treatment works or not.  
Thank you so much for your comments..I ended up with the same thing. Thanks to your message I went to a walk in clinic too knowing length of time to see my own doctor. She gave me antibiotics right away told me about triangle of danger eyes nose, mouth. I woke up next day however scared with more swelling from my nose to my eye. I went to the hospital and they confirmed cellulitis and gave me IV antibiotics and a stronger medication then the clinic. They said clinic's antibiotics were to weak and wouldn't have done much for me. Now here I wait to see if this works or not if not I have to IV at home for 5 days.. So thank-you for your info saved me from Infection into the brain which never sounds good..Keeping my fingers crossed in CANADA.
I normally do not post but I read this looking for myself and no one has really posted a possible answer.  This is what I found: http://www.cellulitiscauses.com/cellulitis-of-nose-avoiding-and-treating-this-kind-of-skin-infection/.  These sytems seem to match that of a staph infection of the nose called cellulitis.  Check it out with your doctor.  Hope this helps.  
What happened to you. I'm having the same now.
I noticed on January 19 that the top and sides of my nose felt very tender to the touch as if it were bruised.  Like alot of the other posts, I thought I may have slept on my nose or I otherwise banged it in my sleep.  There is no visible bruising or lesions on the skin.  The pain is not unbearable.  The only time I feel it is if I touch my nose or put on my reading glasses.  This is so strange!
I know you posted awhile ago....... I am having VERY similar problems...how did you get relief? I am thinking  a trip to dr is needed.....I am allergic to most antibiotics so I am scared....Where the heck does this come from?
I had a tender nose. It's a sort of infection, I'm on meds second day everything is clearing up, no pain swelling is gone.
Thanks to everyone posting...I came here looking for an answer to why my nose has been bothering me for the last 4 days or so, felt like I was punched in the nose...no bruise though...Not stuffy, or runny...minimal sneezing...def. felt achy the other day.  (Like I was fighting something).  It passed though...Can't touch my nose and it literally has a gotten bigger from the bridge to almost the tip...Geeze.   But no pimple or head to be seen, so believe it is this cellulitis.  I will be making an appt. to see the Dr.  The day after Christmas, if I can last that long.  Otherwise, I may try on Xmas eve.  Thanks for all the posts and links.  xoxo  
Additionally ...here is a link to some info.  
http://www.cellulitiscauses.com/nasal-cellulitis-the-fundamentals-of-the-cellulitis-of-the-nose/
Isn't the intranet a wonderful thing.  I was so SURPRISED to find so many people with the same problem- and grateful for it.  Tow days ago I was driving and happened to rub my nose.  I noticed that the left side of my nose as tender.  I immediately thought--I'm getting a pimple.  That's what it felt like.  The next day, there was no signs of a pimple.  But the tenderness was there but in a broader area.  And my nose began to hurt without touching it.  By that evening, the "hurt" became pain and it actually kept me awake.  I woke got up on day three and noticed minor swelling and the pain now extended to the bridge of my nose.  As the day progressed so did the pain - CONSTANT and worsening - and inflamation (inflammation) started.  Because the pain was so unusual, I had looked on the computer the previous evening to see what the hell it could be.  All I could come up with was a sinus infection or cellulitis.  I am a nurse so I'm very aware of the s/s of both.  Neither seemed to fit as I didn't have the sinus pain and congestion associated with sinus infection.  And I certainly didn't have the visible signs of cellulitis which I see nearly daily.  The pain became so bad that I actually went th Urgent Care (my primary couldn't see me).  The doctor diagnosed me with cellulitis.  Basically because she ruled out a sinus infection.  So, I was given a script for a broad spectum antibiotic and told to go to the ER immediately if it spreads as it can cause blindness if it affects the eyes or death if it affects the brain.  Just wanted to chime in incase anyone is having the same symptoms so you take it seriously.  If you are experiencing similar signs and symptoms, please, see a doctor.
Well, I have the same thing... I was on Bactrim and Clindamycin for 10 days... another 5 days of Bactrim... which didn't work by itself before.. .anyway... I have a hard ridge inside my nose that won't go away... and sometimes I think it is going to flare back up... not having insurance, it is not good that I might have to pay another 125.00 to see the same dr. for the same results.... it started as what I thought was a spot inside my nose that might be irritated to me looking like i had been in a fight...   any thoughts on why this keeps lingering?????   thanks...
Wow!  Yesterday the bridge of my nose hurt as if I had been punched in the nose with glasses on.  No obvious bruising, no pimple, no discoloration, just slightly swollen and tender to the touch.  I guess I'll be going to a Doc-in-a-Box tomorrow armed with this thread.  I'm always surprised when, once again, I learn that I'm not all that unique.
I think I have Nasal Celulitis again! The first time it was on the tip of my nose and hurt like heck. This time the bridge of my nose is swollen and painful to touch. I don't know the deal on why I keep getting it, but I think it might have to do with the nasonex I'm prescribed. I try really hard to alcohol wipe the bottle after each use, but I don't think that is effective enough. SMH this *****.