Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Sudden silence then sound comes back, like an on/off switch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew what can cause My hearing to go away and come back as if an on/o0ff switch? for a few years now I have had what i can hear as an 'eeeeeeeeeee'  (long e sound) in my left ear several times a day, cant say if everyday but enough times throughout the week. There have been a few times when I have felt some pain,small amount but something, when they occur. Maybe for a couple of years now I feel it has progressed. It's as if you were in a concert and you're hearing fine then when you exit it's like a deafening silence after a couple of seconds you can hear again. Like you are hearing fine then suddenly sound is turned off (deafening silence) like a switch, couple of seconds later sound is turned back on. What is causing this? And also, if whatever is causing this can also affect your vision. Just to see if there is some connection for I have also posted about another problem I have with my vision in another forum. Thank you for any help you may give me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Perception of abnormal ear or head noises is termed as TINNITUS. Persistent tinnitus usually indicates the presence of sensory hearing loss. Intermittent periods of mild, high-pitched tinnitus lasting for several minutes are common in normal hearing persons. If your problem has been of a recent origin associated with cold, it may be a temporary phenomenon. If it persists consult your doctor. An ENT examination, auditory brain stem response (ABR), a computerized test of the hearing nerves and brain pathways and CT/MRI brain may be needed to diagnose the cause for tinnitus. Treatment lies in treating the underlying cause.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you! I will do so immediately.