Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Surgical clips after total thyroidectomy??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi guys,
Hoping someone can let me know what these results mean? I had a Barium Swallow test done. I had a TT last Feb for thyroid cancer. It spread to my lymph nodes and during surgery my jugular vein ruptered. I had this test because I find it hard to swallow and there is so much tightness in my neck still one year post op....All through the right side.
Results: slight irregularity of the anterior wall of the oesophagus at the level of C5-6 (cricopharyngeus/upper oesophageal sphincter) surgical clips present in the upper mediastinum.
I don't know if it's normal to have surgical clips left in?? Do they stay forever and can they come loose??
I'm guessing my jugular vein has now healed. Is it incase it rupters again??
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Surgically clips generally stay in the body. The tightness when you swallow could be due to the connective tissue  formation post surgery. If you want to know the status of the jugular vein, have a doppler study done. This will show if there is any blockage to the vein.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.