Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swelling/lump under the left ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swelling/lump under the left ear

I have developed a lump or a hard swelling around 1-1.5 cm in diameter under my left ear, just where the neck starts.This development has been from around last 15-20 days. There is no pain as such, but it irritates at times. For the past 4-5 days, I am also getting radiating headaches(pain at different parts of the head at different times). I feel it is associated with the swelling only.
Are these symptoms known? Can you predict what can cause such a thing? I am highly worried of this, specially after the headaches started.

Anand
Avatar n tn
Hi, I think you're talking about your lymph node, have you had it seen by a doctor at all? I have the same problem and think it might ahve been a flu but I doubt it... Have you had any symptoms of infection like cold, flu, mono, etc.? painless, growing lumps are always worrysome since reactive lymph nodes (those reacting to cold, flu, etc. and other infections of the body) tend to be painful while they're fighting off invaders. I'd definitely go get it checked out and keep an eye on its size...
Avatar n tn
Hi.  I had this same thing.  I went to the Dr. and he gave me antibiotics and the lump was gone within days.  He said he was a blockage of the stuff that drains down the lymph nodes.  Hope this helps!
Avatar n tn
My sister had this type swelling under her ear and it was a metastases from lung cancer and how she discovered she had it. Another had one in nearly the same area and the swelling was a result of a gum infection and the node wasn't able to filter the infection fast enough. Please see a doctor....can be anything from major to a minor illness but certainly needs to be checked by a professional.