Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swimmers ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swimmers ears

I  washed my hair in the bath two weeks ago, submerging both ears under water to rinse shampoo off. Since then, my ear drums are not open, after one week i also have a sour taste in my mouth. What causes the sour taste is it swimmers ears. I am using  swim sport drops for swimmers ears to dry out the water,but the ear drums only open when i put my finger in the ear and touch my eardrums, then after 30 seconds it closes again. I  can hear but not so good. My eardrums do still feel wet. Is it normal that the ears have not returned to normal after 2 weeks. How long does it normally take for swimmers ears.What advice do you have as well. Regards.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Swimmers ears is infection of the external ear canal referred to as otitis externa. The infecting agents are bacteria, fungi and viral. Bacterial infections need antibiotics and fungal antifungal agents. Viral infections are by exclusion and do not need any antibiotic therapy. Ear canals can also get swollen due to allergies or injuries. Consult your primary care physician who will do blood tests and take a swab and may do a culture to determine the cause and prescribe appropriate medications.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you very much for your reply, today is already the 21st day and i am very frustrated, i will then consult a normal physician to make sure that i do not perhaps need antibiotics or have injured the eardrum.
Hallo, i consulted a Doctor, who sprayed out my ears with water, somehow there was a wax build up which was impossible for me to see or remove with earbuds, quite surprising but true!! My problem was immediately solved. Thank you very much for your advice!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Good! Take Care.