Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen Cervical Lymph Nodes Throat Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hello I am a 21 year old male. About 2 years ago I came down with a sore throat and was given antibiotics. My throat isnt really sore anymore but it tends to bother me alot. It feels like I have something in my throat and I can not clear it or swallow it. I can ocassionally get some sort of white mucus out of my throat. I was treated for GERD but medication didnt seem to help. I have probably been on 6 different antibiotics in the last 2 years with durations up to 21 days. I also have some sinus and ear pain. About 4 months ago I noticed some lumps on my neck. I have one lump on my right side about the size of a grape. On my left size i have 2 smaller pea sized lumps. These lumps are deep cervical lymph nodes. The ent doctor doesnt not seem to think this is much to worry about but I am about to go nuts. They do not seem to be growing and seem to be tender.  I was told we could biopsy the nodes if I would like but I do not have any medical insurance. He doesnt seem to think a biopsy is needed but I really want to get it done. Any clue what could be wrong with me??
I have also been getting dizzy and having hot flashes more recently.
I also have similar problems for over a month.
Lump in throat, swollen cervical lumph nodes, hot flash(warm and hot skin), and sometimes dizziness.
Hi there,

I have similar symptoms. I had 2 colds within the space of 3 weeks, and about 3 weeks ago I found a lump in my neck. It hasn't gone away and has me worried.

The deep cervical nodes (I believe) are UNDER the mastenoid muscle. As a result, these nodes are hard for the doctor to examine. All of this means that if you can see that the node is the size of a grape, it probably isn't deep cervical. Again, I could be wrong.

Regarding the biopsy...I know how it is not to have insurance, I don't have it either. That being said, what price can you put on your life? Also, if it is nothing major, what price can you put on knowing that? I would try to get it done.
I have had the same symptoms as most of you.  Anyone had a doctor's opinion yet? And,... what was the diagnosis?  What was prescribed?
I had the same symptoms for about 3 months and they found out its caused by GERD
I went to a ent doctor yesterday and he said that my problem was sialolithiasis.  Check it out.  This might help some of you out.  Try sucking on lemon drops or something that has citrus in it.  He said that your glands can get stones on them and it causes it to shut down and swell.  I am going to try the lemon drops but I do have a ct set for next week to see if it is stones.  I hope this helps.