Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen/Elongated uvula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen/Elongated uvula

I'm 19  years old. Almost 2 months ago I woke up and noticed my uvula was long, it resting on my tongue was very uncomfortable. I waited a few days before saying anything to anyone to see if it would go down on its own. When I finally got checked out I was diagnosed with mono. I didn't have any high fever, And my throat wasn't sore in the traditional since(pain when swallowing or eating) but the irritation from my uvula touching my tongue is driving me crazy. 2 months later and I am still not completely over the mono.

I visited my ENT today, and he told me the only thing he could do for my long uvula is to have it surgically shortened/removed.  Also he said that at the time my uvula did not appear swollen BUT that it was really long.

The actual QUESTIONS would be...
1) can a swollen uvula be a symptom of mono.
2) is it more likely that my tongue is swollen causing me to  have the same sensation of my uvula being longer.
3) I am not willing to just get used to it and live with it for the rest of my life, Should I wait until the mono completely passes? or should I just go ahead  and have my uvula removed.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Any inflammation in the mouth can cause swelling of the uvula. But as the inflammation subsides, the swelling will resolve. So, you can wait and see if it resolves on its own. Also, anti-inflammatory medications may help. If it persists and is troublesome, as your doctor mentioned, the therapy is surgical correction.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hey, my uvula is also longer than its natural length it not also swelling it's only longer. What did you do to return it back to normal? Is it back to normal? How many days or weeks? Please reply as soon as possible
hey are you okay now? did it return back to normal? I have the same issue here.
PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It is not hurting it just long and it is not normal? Hope you can read this and help me. What do i do?