Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen Eustachian Tube

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen Eustachian Tube

Hello, I have been having problems with my left ear. I realized a couple of months ago when I woke up and could not hear well from it. I also woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose for a few weeks. I thought it just came as a result from cold or flu, but that was not the case because I do not have a cold, flu, any allergies or anything that could have caused a loss of hearing and this has been going on for about four months now.

I spoke to one doctor that told me to take Mucinex D, ibuprofen and nasonex for two weeks, two times a day and the nasonex just relapsed and clogged up my throat for two-three days. The Mucinex D did help a bit but only for a short period of time and I would always wake up with a bad ear again.

I did get worried and I went to the doctor last month. I was put on antibiotics for two weeks, two pills a day, two nasal sprays a day and one ear drop. I guess things got better when I would take the antibiotics but now I have no more left and I lost my health insurance and I am not sure what to do.

I was just wondering if there's anything I can do at home. If this is a dire situation and it is absolutely necessary that I see a doctor I guess I could go because I am not willing to lose my ear in a battle with health insurance so I guess I could go.

If this helps, I am pretty sure the problem is the Eustachian tube and now my ear pops every now and then, sometimes even consistently during the day. I am not really sure if this is a really bad thing. And when I tightly close my jaw my dysfunctional ear pops sometimes. Another big thing I noticed: When I sneeze and I close my nose I can feel all the air going through the ear tube as if there is no barrier or anything.