Swollen Eustachian Tube
Hello, I have been having problems with my left ear. I realized a couple of months ago when I woke up and could not hear well from it. I also woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose for a few weeks. I thought it just came as a result from cold or flu, but that was not the case because I do not have a cold, flu, any allergies or anything that could have caused a loss of hearing and this has been going on for about four months now.

I spoke to one doctor that told me to take Mucinex D, ibuprofen and nasonex for two weeks, two times a day and the nasonex just relapsed and clogged up my throat for two-three days. The Mucinex D did help a bit but only for a short period of time and I would always wake up with a bad ear again.

I did get worried and I went to the doctor last month. I was put on antibiotics for two weeks, two pills a day, two nasal sprays a day and one ear drop. I guess things got better when I would take the antibiotics but now I have no more left and I lost my health insurance and I am not sure what to do.

I was just wondering if there's anything I can do at home. If this is a dire situation and it is absolutely necessary that I see a doctor I guess I could go because I am not willing to lose my ear in a battle with health insurance so I guess I could go.

If this helps, I am pretty sure the problem is the Eustachian tube and now my ear pops every now and then, sometimes even consistently during the day. I am not really sure if this is a really bad thing. And when I tightly close my jaw my dysfunctional ear pops sometimes. Another big thing I noticed: When I sneeze and I close my nose I can feel all the air going through the ear tube as if there is no barrier or anything.