Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen Lymph Nodes

Hi. I am a nineteen year old female. For roughly the past four months, I've had swollen lymph nodes (I believe that's what it is, at least) on only the left side of my neck. The swelling increases and decreases, but is always present. Just today I discovered a hard lump at the base of my skull (on the left side). The lump is hard and feels like bone. I'm just wondering what may be the cause of this. I'm in no pain and I feel as though it may not even be an issue at all, so I don't want to rush into a doctor's office with my complaints. Some forums I've read claim that long-term swollen lymph nodes may be caused by some kind of infection, like HIV... and I became worried when recurrent yeast infections was noted as a possible sign of HIV.. yet that seems impossible as I've had the same (and only) faithful partner for over a year/no blood transfusions or anything and the symptoms have only begun to occur, as I said, several months ago. I know I should break down and risk embarrassment at the doctor's office.. but if any doctors could offer any information in the mean time, that would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I have had the same issue going on for months on end on the right side of my neck. The keys to look for are 1 the size of the nodes. If you have any nodes larger than 2CM or are very hard I would go see the doctor tomorrow. If this is not the case it is most likely a reoccuring infection in your tonsils likely caused by your environment. I would go see your doctor in any event to be evaluated.

I had to take a week of Clindamycin to have my nodes shrink for one week just to have them grow back. It is very hard to get lymph nodes to shrink becuase so many factors can add to their swelling. Still it is imparitive to goto the Doc to rule out Lymphoma, Mono, or Hepatitis. Good luck