Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen Salivary Ducts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen Salivary Ducts

On Thursday evening, the right side of my face started to feel strange, and within 2hrs the whole area from in front of my ear as far as just above my jawline was completely swollen out.  This had happened once before about 18mths ago and my GP had said it was probably a blockage as it had cleared when I got up the next morning.  So I did the same this time, took a couple of antihistamines and headed to bed. On Friday almost all the swelling was gone when I woke with the remainder gone by lunchtime.  Last night the left side of my face started to feel strange, and sure enough within 30mins the swelling had started and soon after the left side from in front of my ear all the way to my jawline took on the  'chipmunk' resemblance with the whole swelling feeling really hard and uncomfortable.  Again I took a double dose of antihistamine and went to bed.  When I woke this morning some swelling was still there and 7hrs later its still there, although only very slightly.  Just wondering if anyone has experience of this?  I found some sites talking about a salivary duct swelling, but not a situation where one side was affected then the other.  
Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What other symptoms are present? Salivary gland problems may be attributed to a variety of issues such as obstruction, salivary stones, infection (viral or bacterial),  and even cysts. Since treatment depends on the underlying cause, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Direct clinical examination is important. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thanks for your reply Dr Santos.  The swelling has not reoccurred, so I haven't attended my GP - I was waiting to see if there would be another occurance after a further 48hrs, and thankfully there hasn't been. It's a bit of a difficult one to go to the doctor with as each occurrence has happened at night and has cleared by morning (majority wise), so there is nothing to see as such.   The only other 'thing' going on with my face at present is that in the last 10 days my lips have got progressively more chapped, and there is a burning sensation to them; chapped lips is not usual for me.
Thanks!