Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen Tonsil - What could this mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen Tonsil - What could this mean?

I have been having tightness and heaviness in my chest for the past week.  When I press on my breastbone, it is tender.  I'm not having any breathing difficulties, trouble swallowing or cold symptoms.  I went to urgent care last week just to be safe and the doctor said I have costachondritits (sp?)  Anyway, my throat and chest feel a bit funny (but not like cold symptoms) - just slightly painful and tickly.  So I went looking in my throat yesterday and noticed that one of my tonsils is significantly larger than the other and it has a crater on it.  Is this normal?  What can cause one swollen tonsil.....especially in the absence of a cold.  The last time I was sick late February/early March (and today is April 29th).  I had a really bad cold with fever, chills, sore throat, nose congestion and head pain.  My son, mother and brother had it too and everyone was ill for about two weeks.  Could this be a carryover of that illness?  I'm really worried because I read online that one enlarged tonsil could mean lymphoma.  I need advice on how best to proceed without appearing to be a hypochondriac to my doctor.  I am wondering if the heaviness in my chest is related.

I am 32 year old black female, healthy, non-smoker, non drinker, currently breastfeeding - no health problems in the past.  Thanks for your help!