Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen Uvula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen Uvula

Hey there,

My uvula has been swollen for some months and I have been to a doctor a few times with little success. The first thought my doctor had was bacterial infection so antibiotics were prescribed.  Those did not work so steroids were the next choice.  Again, no change.  I was advised to take Claritin-D for a few weeks to see if that would reduce swelling in my sinuses and help my uvula calm down.  That has not helped either.  At this point I am at a loss and have no idea how to proceed from here.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

-M
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, is there pain and redness? If present then it may indicate an infection and treating the same may help resolve your symptoms. Sinus infections can also cause a post nasal drip and consequent inflammation of the uvula. In spite of adequate treatment if the swelling still persists and if it causing problems with swallowing, then it may need surgical correction. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. Regards.
Hi there!

No pain and no redness at all.  Just the uncomfortable gagging feeling most of the day.  Does that open the door for any more possible answers?

-M
Hi i have the same thing also feel like i have dry mouth, did you get this resolved please let me know