Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen left tonsil. Possible throat cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

At the end of December 2010 I was diagnosed with strep throat. I was given antibiotics for ten days and sent home. I took the antibiotics all the way to the end but never really felt better. A week after I finished the first round of antibiotics I went back and was told that I had some sort of viral infection in my throat and a severe ear infection. During this whole time my left tonsil has been extremely swollen and it feels like there is something stuck in my throat on that same side. I also have a hoarse voice that is not getting better. The doctor gave me another round of antibiotics for my ear and told me to just rest and drink plenty of fluids for my throat. I have done that, but it still feels like something is stuck in my throat, and my throat feels swollen, making it difficult for me to swallow. I looked in my throat today and my left tonsil is still as swollen as ever and it does not appear to be healing. It has been over a month now with very little improvements. I have a history of thyroid cancer, so I am worried this might be throat cancer or something else more serious. Can you please help me figure out what this might be and if I need to go and see a specialist? Thank you.
toncil problems can be persistant i had mine removed some years ago because of swelling and pain. if you are still having problems i would definatly go back to the doctors and ask to see a ear nose and throat specialist..
Since having tonsils removed in adults is considered taboo by a lot of doctors, it took me 10 years to find a doctor who agreed to remove them; and when I found her, her first question was, "Why didn't you have these removed years ago?"  It made me laugh...

I experienced chronis tonsilitis and always had a hard time battling strep and other infections.  My tonsils were constantly large and began to interfere with the swallowing of food and I started having tonsil stones form on a regular basis that I had to pick out with my fingers or q-tips.  The last symptom I expereinced was raw and bleeding tonsils when I threw up (large chunks of my tonsils would break off and my tonsils would bleed and be raw for days afterwards).  

I found a new ENT doctor, met her and told her I wanted my tonsils out.  She said, "Say 'AH'", then asked when I would like them removed.  Done deal.  

I used to be sick all the time prior to having my tonsils -- ALL THE TIME.  Since the tonsilectomy, I've been sick maybe twice.  And it's been 3 years since my surgery.

Go find a good ENT.  If you're in southern California, I can recommend one.  :)

All the best,

EH
My right  tonsil is extremely swollen. It is lumpy and looks like its stuffed with cotton ball. I have no pain and am never sick. Any ideas?