Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen nose and face (MRSA ??)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Swollen nose and face (MRSA ??)

My wife has come down with an infection centered on her nose.  Her nose is red and swollen perhaps as much as 30%.  The swelling and the redness extends below both eyes, and is starting down the lower side of her face on both sides.  Her lymph nodes in the neck are swollen.  Everything is symmetrical, centered on the nose.  She visited her doctor today and has started a Z Pac (Zithromax).  After 12 hours, she is worse.

Two days before this, I got an infection on the top of my foot which looked like a spider bite.  It started as an itchy red spot, and in two days there was a blister 3/8" in diameter, and spider like red veins branching out over an area of about the size of a half dollar.  I went to urgent care the next day.  The doctor prescribed Bactrim for it.  My wife does not recall mentioning this to her doctor.  I practice the martial art Aikido, and the infection was on the top of my foot, where one sits in a formal Japanese position on the mat (seisa).  I think that I have MRSA, and that is what my wife has.  This could be an emergency situation.  I suspect that she is taking the wrong antibiotic because she did not mention my situation to her doctor.  Any help would be appreciated.  I will take her to emergency tomorrow (Thanksgiving Day) if there is no improvement in the morning.
It is march of 08 and i am suffering with a nose infection since november of 07 with numerous anti-biotics being used.  I was wondering what if any outcome was obtained in your experience.  Thanks peter
I am experiencing EXACTLY what your wife did.  What ended up coming of that?  My neighbor diagnosed me right away with MRSA and I am on Bactrim.  Thank you!