Swollen parotid gland
I have been suffering on and off for months with a swollen parotid gland.  It becomes swollen when I eat with about a week in between most episodes.   When it happens I have the most awful symptoms; my tongue, lips and hands tingle, I break out in a sweat, feel nauseous, tremble and feel faint.  I have seen a consultant and called the paramedics twice when the symptoms were extremely severe but nobody can explain these symptoms.  I've had an MRI scan which showed a tight stricture at the main parotid duct which I presume causes the gland to swell.   I wish I knew what causes the severe symptom I experience.   Can anyone help please?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The stricture is likely to cause an accumulation of saliva in the parotid gland, and when you eat it stimulates the gland to produce more saliva. This accumulation can lead to stasis and an infection of the gland causing pain and consequent sweating. The stricture needs to be surgically corrected for the symptoms to resolve. You will need to consult your doctor who may need to do a culture and sensitivity if there is discharge to determine what antibiotic the organism is susceptible to. He may even ask for blood test and an X ray. In the meantime take OTC acetaminophen for the pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you very much for your help.   I still don't understand though why my body seems to go into shock with the tingling/numb tongue, lips and hands and feeling so ill.   It is really worrying me and no-one can explain what is happening to me.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But please check to see, if your symptoms of numbness of tongue and hands occur during an episode of pain of the salivary gland. You need to check to see if they are related. If not then the most probable cause for tingling hands and feet is neuropathy, a disorder of the nerves. Most common cause is diabetes. This can be detected by a simple blood test. This also happens with metabolic disorders, vitamin deficiencies, infections and traumatic injuries. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your help.  The episode of what feels like my body going into shock is definitely related to the gland as I feel activity in the gland just before.  On Sunday  I felt activity in the gland; I milked the gland a small amount of liquid came out of the duct in my cheek and then the numbness and awful symptoms started.