Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Swollen right tonsil for over 3 months now

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

I have had a swollen right tonsil for over 3 months now.  It started off with white spots on it and the doctor I saw said that it was an infection and gave me antibiotics.  The white spots went away for awhile and then returned, so we tried another kind of antibiotic and the white spots went away again.  I have not had anymore white spots but now there are small dark spots on the tonsil as well as a small dark sore in between the back of the tongue and the side of my throat right by the swollen tonsil.  I have tried gargling with warm salt water and taking ibuprofen for the pain and it tends to be sore, the pain is not horrible but irritating.  However the swelling and the spots are not going away after all this time and I am getting a bit concerned.  I would go see a doctor again however I just moved to a new state and do not have any health insurance at this time, and can not afford to see a doctor without it.  Anyways I am just looking for some advice, what should I do to help it go away?  Also how long does it normally take for a swollen tonsil to go away?  Any help would be appreciated.
Tags: irritable