Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Symptoms getting worse....can anybody help??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Ok, this last June I had my gallbladder taken out. About a week later I was still dizzy. So I went back to the Dr. and he found fluid in my left ear. 2 weeks later I still had really bad vertigo, then the ringing in my ears started, then a few days after that when I swallowed, there would be a really loud crackling. So I went to a ENT Dr. and he told me it was acid reflux and my body wasn't adjusting to the lack of my gallbladder, and the acid was going up my throat and affecting my ears. So I had an Upper Gi, and I indeed had acid reflux and peptic ulcers. So they put me on some medication that has taken away all the heartburn symptoms completly. But the ringing and crackling in my ears and vertigo are worse. The ringing in my ears gets so loud and is causing horrible headaches. And by the time the evening comes around the dizziness is so bad I litteraly can't walk. It feels like I have been spining really fast. It's hard to keep my head and eyes still when it gets bad. And because of that I have been feeling sick to my stomach. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? The ENT I saw says that the only thing it could be is the acid reflux. So last week I went back to my primary Dr. to get something for the nausia and to discuss the next step. They took my blood presure and it was a little too high. I have never had an elivated blood presure, so he was a little concerned about that. And he put me on a very low salt diet for two weeks, then I go back up and get it checked again.If my blood presure is still high he wants to put me on some meds to get it back down. Could the high blood presure be connected to my ear porblems? I'm getting desperate. I will do anything to get this problem taken care of. It's taken so much control of my life. I was refured to another ENT, but I can't get in for another 9 weeks. Does anybody have any idea's what is wrong or that can point me in the right direction?
-6 Comments Post a Comment
I have been having problems with acutre mastoiditius.  I started out with a severe headache, which they said was migraines.  Then I started having vertigo and some hearing loss and the pressure in the back of my ear was killing me.  After a MRI and CT Scan they finally figured out that it was Mastoiditus, however I had only had about 2 ear infections in my life.  This is kind of similar, and you might want to tell your gp, because it was still hard for the ENT to accept, but it was on the scans and I ended up in the hospital for 7 days with antibiotics going thru me.  I still have the bacteria on my left ear bone and they may have to take part of my bone out.  So, it would be wise just to ask if they could do a MRI or CT scan of the Mastoid Bones to see if anything shows up.  It may not be, but at least that could be ruled out.  If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.  
My daughter was having severe headaches and dizziness. At times she too had some vision issues.  Her GP sent her for an MRI.  He called later to say everything other than blockage in the sinus cavity.  He prescribed amoxicillin.  After five days, she still was experiencing the headaches, the dizziness and vision issues were better but the headaches were still severe.  We went back to the doctor and saw one of the other associates in the office.  He told us that amoxicillin was probably not the best choice for treating Mastoiditis.  Shocked as this is the first we heard of this, he explained what this was.  He prescribed Clindamyacin and Vicadin for the headaches.  She had a very unpleasant reaction to the Clindamyacin.  Now she is on Augmentin and has been for 6 days.  The headaches are debilating first thing in the morning and ease up during the day only to return the next morning with a vengenance. I spoke to the doctor again, and he suggested to let the antibiotics work a little longer.
Any suggestions (other than finding a new doctor)?
In 2007 I was in so much pain that I went to the Hospital..I was given anti-biotics and pain relief for an Ear Infection but I was having a bone scan for Arthritus not long after and they diagnosed mastoiditus-it was visable on the scan and of course I was already on my second course of antibiotics. The report suggested that my ENT do a gallium scan (with dye) but he didnt agree that it was necessary so I never had it....anyway since then my jaw is giving me so many problems. I get pain behind my ear and down my jaw and headaches....even my teeth hurt. In a recent bone scan for my arthritus again I could see the area of my ear was still showing a dark spot which was on the last scan-there was nothing in this report about my ear though...am wondering who I should go see now for help?? It snot getting any better and I am finding it is effecting my life, my day and the pain is making me snappy/emotional.