Ear, Nose & Throat Community
TMJ Symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

TMJ Symptoms

I went to an ENT because soon after a rock concert my ears were ringing and popping every time I swallowed.  Every doctor I've seen said the two were coincidence.  The noise would cause the ringing but not the popping.  Since beginning treatment for eustachian tube dysfunction, which consisted of antihistimines, steroids, and Flonase the popping has eased considerably, but has been replaced by a clogged or full feeling.  Can anybody explain why my tinnitus and sound sensitivity is muted the more my ears feel clogged?  After testing, my hearing was normal but my left ear was retracted, at my next visit both my ears were retracted, finally yesterday my right ear was normal but my left was still retracted.  My ears feel wet and itchy and feel as if something is dripping or moving in them.  An allergy test was negative so his latest theory is TMJ.  I know that TMJ can cause ear popping, but can it also be responsible for the ETD and the retraction?  I still think the wet feeling must be something else.  Either noise related or an allergic reaction to something.  My father lives in the same house with me and also has ear popping and headaches which I do not, but he doesn't have the clogged ears either.  He is scheduled to undergo a toxic mold test at the VA - is this a separate from the allergy test I have already taken?  My ENT said there were molds on that test, but do I need something more specific?  I hope that TMJ is the answer, but after nearly three months, I feel something else is going on.  Any thoughts anybody may have would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
The mold test your father will have is not an allergy test.  It is a test for a toxin in his system.  

What kind of allergy testing did you have done?  Many ENTs use RAST blood testing which is not as accurate as skin ***** testing done by an allergist.  RAST testing has a lot of false negatives.  If this is the test you had doen, you might want to consider retesting by an allergist if things don't improve soon.

Also, it might be time to consider tubes.  I had similar symptoms to your for over 9 months after a flight.  My symptoms actually started before the flight, but escalated suddently on landing.  My ENT finally suggested putting a tube in one ear. Tubes are a hard call for adults.  My ENT said that about 50% of adults who have them done, have them removed.  

Have you tried Afrin for three days?  If you haven't, that might help some.  Only use it for three days or you could experience rebound congestion (addiction).  You can take three days off and rotate.

I pray that you find a solution soon.
After three visits to the ENT, where my left ear was retracted, then both, and finally just the left again - even though they have felt the same at each visit - his latest theory is TMJ.  My allergy test came up negative so he crossed that off as a possibility.  My question is would TMJ affect the eustachian tubes and cause my ears to pop and retract?  Some symptoms do fit - my face tingles from my nose across to my ears, but I thought that was sinus or allergy related.  It does feel as if there is a tiny ball or bb in my ears.  
But I don't think this feeling of wetness or movement in my ear fits with TMJ.  Would the sense of fullness also affect my sound sensitivity?  Certain sounds just add to the congested feeling: bus brakes, hum from machinery, etc.  
Is there a medical reason why my tinnitus is lessened when I am most congested?  Every doctor I have talked to thinks there is no connection between the concert I went to and this popping, clogged ears feeling, but I don't think I have five things wrong with my ears all at the same time - all starting right after the concert, I don't believe in that many coincidences.
I have tried my best to chronicle each symptom to give you the best information to formulate an opinion..  One day about a month ago, I awoke from a nap on the couch with my ringing as loudly as they did after the concert, but everything else semmed clear: no popping, no congestion.  However, after I went to bed a little later that night, I awoke to the same symptoms I have now: popping, congestion, etc.  My ENT thought it was from grinding my teeth, but wouldn't I grind my teeth equally on the couch during a nap as in bed for the night?  I think my ears are protecting themselves from further damage.
I have an appointment next week with the TMJ specialist and am hoping for some answers.
Thank you again for any opinions you may have.  I just want my ears to feel normal again, I have had mild tinnitus for a long time and it never bothered my as much as these symptoms.
I am now experiencing some pain/tingling in my head and face from my forehead to my nose across to my ears, but no real jaw pain.  Can this be TMJ or do I have to look at something else?  My ears are still clogged, although my ENT says only the left one is retracted - still won't pop.  My hyperacusis flares up with the wet ears.  It's been three months and all I've gotten is worse - any clues?
Brian459,

Did you ever figure it out? I get the numbness in the face below the eyes and water sensations on my outside ear with certain movements. I also have chronic tinntius and my vision shakes when I fosus on things really close. I have chronic temple pain, neck pain, back pain and some pain in the jaw muscles. I also get water sensations all over my body. I get burning sensations too. I looked into TMJ treatment for years, but decided that isn't the answer. I think it is caused by trigger points in the back. You need to find a muscle function specialist who can treat your trigger points, at least that is what I'm going to try. I can't explain the water sensations in my feet or everywhere else. I've had this for about 9 years trying to get answers. It started just with the vision and neck. The next year I got pain between shoulder blades and water sensations in the legs. The year after that I got TMD, tinnitus and dizziness. The year after that I water sensations all over my body and burning sensations. All neurological tests are negative. I've also seen ear doctors and every type of doctor with multiple opinions and got no answers. I've been tested for lyme disease using the western blot and C6 by an infectious disease doctor and they were both negative. I also tried 4 antibiotics for 6 months from a doctor who used a fake lyme test on me and I only got paresthesias all over my body and that is when that started.