Ear, Nose & Throat Community
TMJ and vocal problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

TMJ and vocal problems

I have/had TMJ.  I began treatment 3 years ago with orthodontia.  I am currently still getting my jaw adjusted.  As a result I have a situation where I get a little dizzy and very exhausted after I have sung for an hour.  I lost my voice completely last fall.  When the orthodontist adjusted my jaw back, my voice came back.  But if I sing for any length of time, my vocal chords don't hurt, but I feel like a nerve is over stimulated resulting in mild dizziness and exhaustion.  I think it has something to do with the jaw, the muscles in the throat and the nerves in the throat  which are being vibrated by the vocal chords.  

I saw an ENT last fall.  He said my vocal chords were just fine.  He saw something else a little red but could not see any reason why I couldn't talk.  I was a little hoarse at that time but had a lot of pain in my throat.

I would like to be able to sing as I go through school (getting my Masters in Music Education).  Does anyone have any insight on why adjusting the jaw would effect the voice?  I would also like to know the muscles that could be involved and the nerves too.  And of course, treatment for this.
You might be suffering from vocal cord dysfunction.  That is a spasm of the vocal cords that can be triggered by many things including singing.  The only treatment for VCD is speech therapy.  The TMJ might be causing stress to build up in your throat which can trigger the VCD as well.  You might try finding a GOOD vocal coach who will help you learn to relax your throat as you sing.  That has helped me a lot.

As a fellow vocalist I know this is hard to take.  I lost my voice for several months this winter as well.

Take care.
I HAD  A D&C  DONE AND I WAS FIND UNTIL I WENT IN I WAS TALKING AND DOING EVERYTHING.NOW I CANT TALK MY THROAT STAYS SORE AND MY BREATHING IS SO WEAK AND I GET SO TIRED I ALSO HAVE TMJ AND ESOPHAGUS PROBLEM I  BE SO MISERABLE THESE PROBLEM OCCUR WHEN I WENT IN .