EAR, NOSE & THROAT
COMMUNITY
TRACHEAL MALAYSIA?
by anxiousmomof3, Mar 02, 2007
My son when he was born made a loud sqeaking noise when he drank his bottle. Actually he made the noise when he slept ,drank, ate and I was concerned so I insisted on a referral to an ENT. After the exam it was determined he had Tracheal Malaysia. He was 2 months old, and I was told he would grow out of this condition and the only reason for further treatment was if he was having trouble eating and drinking. It has gotten much better and he's 2 years old now, but he still sqeaks loudly when he sleeps. Has anyone else out there had any experience with this. It doesn't bother his sleeping nor does he have problems eating or drinking but I wonder if he will ever grow out of this condition completely.
Member Comments (29)
by Enoch Choi, Mar 02, 2007
Per the NLM: "Congenital tracheomalacia generally resolves on its own by the age of 18-24 months. As the tracheal cartilage strengthens and the trachea grows, the noisy respirations and breathing difficulties gradually stop."

Consider "... heart defects, developmental delay, or gastroesophageal reflux" since these can be present in children with this problem.

Ask you pediatrician about it if it lasts past 2 years of age

Enoch Choi, MD
by jackiektay, Jul 15, 2008
My son is only 6 weeks old and was diagnosed with the same thing. No worries. I only hope it disappears like you say...stay strong, if its improved almost completely theres a good chance that in time it will be gone!
by lovemykids3995, Nov 01, 2008
My daughter was 3 months old when she was diagnosed with tracheal malaysia. You should consider yourself lucky if you haven't had any trouble from it. She is 6 months old now and has been hospitalized 6 times. The past 6 months has been filled with sleepless nights of worry and fear. She also was diagnosed with laringo malaysia, which is where her airways are also floppy. She has had a chronic cough since she was born, has had episodes of turning blue, and aspiration during feedings. The doctors have also told me she would grow out of it. At this point i am just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel
by momoftwoboys76, Nov 23, 2008
My  15 month old son was diagnosed with both tracheal and laringo malaysia at 6 weeks. We have been dealing with a horrible cough and runny nose for two months now. He is on his 4th batch of antibiotics. My mother works at a hospital and the Pedi there told her that I should expect this until he is 5/6. That kids with this have trouble coughing and sneezing effectively so they have a hard time getting rid of infections. He has never turned blue completely but his lips and tongue are often blue. It is fustrating because I don't know if I should be relieved by what the dr said or worried.
by my3babies, Dec 03, 2008
my 2 month old son was just diagnosed with tracheal malaysia and i was also told he would grow out of it, but not only does he have the squeaking sound but at times it seems as though he struggles to breathe
by momFNP, Jan 06, 2009
as someone else posted associated heart conditions with tracheal malaysia, I would be concerned about a heart condition if you have noticed blue lips. I am a nurse practitioner and this resembles a heart condition.
by Hunters_mom, Mar 17, 2009
Hello All,
My son is 10 (he will be 11 in May) was also born with Tracheomalacia, Asthma and developed Failure to Thrive.

He still suffers from continued Upper Respiratory Infections. He has had RSV, Pneumonia x6, Bronchilitis/Bronchitis x6, Croup 15x. When he was a baby they simply told us he would out grow it too. I wish you all the best of luck. He had a lot of trouble sucking a bottle and developed Failure to Thrive. He is on the small side now but not too small.

When you take your baby/child to the ER they ask all kinds of questions to find the "trigger" that caused the illness. Know the answers. Clean his/her sheets on certain days. Dust every other day. Vaccuum the days you don't dust. The biggest advise is to --Keep a diary of his/her health issues along with a list of meds -with you at all times. Keep a bag packed for you and your child ready to go to the hospital -it helps.

You can see my thread under Tracheomalacia still at 10.

I hope that helps.
Colleen
mother to Dominick (12) Hunter (10 TM) and Jennifer (9)
by SashaTRS, Apr 17, 2009
My new daughter was diagnosed with tracheal malaysia at about 4 weeks old.  She went in initially for the virus that causes croup, and after nearly 3 weeks of admission, the ENT fund the malaysia.  If, as in my baby's case, the malaysia is causing severe issues with eating (she was working so hard to just breath that she didn't have any energy left to eat and was therefore given an NG tube) they can surgically fix the malaysia.  She just had surgery to trim some of the floppy tissue this afternoon so I cannot tell you how it worked just yet, but I'm hopping.  I feel that I should also mention that my baby also has a VSD (a heart defect), but that her doctors do not feel that her heart is a big issue at this time.  She is now 6 weeks old, and I cannot wait to be able to bring her back home to be with the rest of her family.
by Hunters_mom, Apr 18, 2009
Best of Luck with your daughter.

I am on a support group on Yahoo for Tracheomalacia (which is the correct spelling).

There are two other mom's on the support group with children with heart defects too. I urge you to check out the support group. They are my life line.

LMTM Babies"

Colleen
***@****