Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Taste & Smell problems.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Taste & Smell problems.

In mid October 2008, I developed a really bad head cold and for about 8 weeks had no real sense of taste or smell but gradually that started to recover.

This was until this month and now although I have a sense of taste and smell there are some foods that have a foul taste and smell (it is a difficult to explain the smell/taste). My stools also have the same distinct smell.

I first notice the strange taste/smell one day when I brushed my teeth with a new toothpaste and it was that foul that I had to stop or I would have vomitted. I put it down to the toothpaste as I had not tried it before but then later I drank a cup of coffee and had the same taste. Some foods/drinks are ok. Since, I also found that my regular toothpaste does the same.

Anyone had anything similar ?
Yes, I've been having the same problem recently.  Firstly I kept getting the burnt bread/yeasty smell and as you said coffee (which I previously loved the smell of) smells so disgusting that I can't go near it anymore.    In the last week I have also started getting a really sweet sickly smell - this causes me to feel physically nauseaous and is the same smell for anything that is remotely sweet. Also on occasion I am smelling a musty smell - which I thought was just damp (due to the weather) but no-one else can smell it.  Overall I just feel sick all the time and can't bring myself to eat.

I have been suffering for a while with blocked sinuses and had been using a decongestant spray all the time.  The ENT specialist told me to stop using it immediately (which was a few weeks ago) and though my problem had gotten better, this smell problem has appeared instead.

I can't offer any help really but just wanted you to know someone else had the same problem, there seems to be a few people on the net complaining of the same symptoms - mainly following sinus problems or a head injury.

I've been having stomach problems, producing too much acid, so I don't know if this is related to that or not.   Anyway it's really getting me down and like I said I feel sick with a headache all the time.