Ear, Nose & Throat Community
The Oddest Inflammation of my Nose Cartilage (Major Alar)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

This is so hard to explain, but 2 days ago I noticed that one side of the outside of my nose cartilage is inflamed or "popping out" in a circular fashion. After research on the web the part of the nose in question is the major alar, on the side a between the tip and the bridge just under the curve of the nostril. There is no pain or major discomfort but the site sinks down easily when I put thumb pressure then pops back up when I lay off, whereas the rest of my nose is firm, yet flexible (as it has always been). Anyone else have experience with this??

It is so odd to try and explain without seeing/feeling it but I know I am not making this up; it is one of those things where your instincts tell you something doesn't feel right because things like our noses are something we tend to touch/rub/scratch just about every day and we subconsciously know how it should normally feel. Please help, it hasn't concerned me much yet but it is a bit alarming and if it doesn't go away in a few days or worsens then I will really begin to worry. Thank you for your time.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

What you are feeling could be nasal polyps. This is the mucosa, which is the lining of the nasal cavities which becomes swollen and inflamed and oedematous. This happens with repeated infections of the nasal cavities. If large enough they can cause nasal obstruction and may have to be removed surgically. Please consult your primary care physician who will do an initial clinical assessment and then may refer you to an ENT specialist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you so much for your reply! Luckily since I last posted the swelling has decreased a bit and it is begining to feel firm in that area again. Funny thing is that now  I can actually feel more airflow through the side of my nose where I had the complication.

I have an appointment with a hematologist/oncologist tomorrow regarding some odd numbers in my bloodwork so I will inquire about it as a side note; I am sure he can do a quick visual examination and provide further direction if needed.

Thank you again for the concerning response and I will definitely post an update!