Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Thick Mucus in throat, Pale Swollen Nose Membranes, Burping....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

For the past year and a half I have suffered from a thick mucus in my throat. Here's whats is going on, my symptoms are; thick mucus in back of throat (hard to swallow it away or cough  it up), dry mouth (no matter how much water I drink the dry mouth is still there), burping (burping only occurs randomly when I feel the mucus in the throat, mostly tasteless burps). I noticed it only happens when I'm sitting for a long period of time where I get the dry mouth, burping, and mucus i.e. Class, or a movie. To find relief I would need to stand up and/or walk around for while. Also randomly happens if I just finished eating something, then I would have dry mouth and burping alot, but NO HEARTBURN.

When the symptoms first arrived I visited my doctor who then directed me to a ears, nose, throat doctor. That doctor looked at my nose, ears, mouth, and even did the exercise  where he sticks the camera in your nose and down your throat. He saw nothing and prescribed me on OMEPRAZOLE 20 MG for one month. That did not help at all, and I didn't visit him back until 4 months later. The next visit I did he checked me out again but did not do the exercise. He did however find that the membranes in my nose were very pale and swollen. He then prescribed me FEXOFENADINE HCL 180 MG for a couple of months. Once again that didn't help, I tried to do a little experiment with myself, whenever I would get the symptoms I would quickly take the Medication to see if it helped, but it didn't. I continued to take it anyway for 5 months.

I then decided to go to an allergist. The allergist did the routine checkup and looked in my nose and said the membranes in my nose are very pale and large (So i'm guessing the fexofenadine didn't do anything to help my nose). He came to the conclusion that I may have non-allergic rhinitis which caused the post nasal drip. He prescribed me a nose spray (AZELASTINE HCL 137 MCG). And I have taking that for about 2 weeks, and I still feel the mucus in my throat, but I am able to breathe a bit better through my nose. A couple days back I needed to go to Manhattan so I took the train from LongIsland which is 45 mins and unfortunately had an episode. Now I took the spray about 20 mins before I boarded the train and as I sat down I had no feeling of mucus in my throat. Until about 20 mins in the ride I a very dry mouth that water didn't help since I carry a bottle with my everywhere and alot of tasteless burping, but no mucus. So I have no idea what it is anymore I don't expect the spray to work crazy fast since my membranes probably pale for a year now.

Couple things to clear up though I never had a stuffy nose, or had anything drip from my nose, I did however when the episode would happen and I would need to sneeze I wouldn't be able to sneeze because of the dry mouth I suppose. Now I just need some input on what it could be, and also should I go back to the ear, nose, throat doctor and have him put the camera back in my nose down my throat to see if there anything there now, since the first visit he saw nothing in my nose or throat, but the second visit he saw pale nose membranes??? Also could it be two different diseases???

I've been doing some research and is it possible that it can be laryngopharyngeal reflux? Thanks!