Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Thick clear mucus in throat and sinus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Thick clear mucus in throat and sinus

Hi all

I'm a first time user of this forum and was seeking some advice on were to next with my sinus/throat issues.

I'm a 28 yr old Caucasian male from Australia with no prior history of sinus or throat problems.

In December I attended my GP with complaints of thick clear 'glue-like' mucus in upper part of my throat that has been causing to clearly my throat excessively to the point where my throat hurt. I was told I have a sinus infection and put on a course of Amoxicillin for course of 10 days. My symptoms did not resolve so I attended my GP again and was put on a course of Clarithromycin for 7 days with no resolve again. I attended my GP yet again who put me on a course of Roxithromycin and Avamys nasal spray for 28 days again with no cure. By this time I started to notice that my sinus was becoming congested. One of my nostrils is now always partially blocked which switches from side to side throughout the day. I was then given antifungal tablets after my GP noticed some white film on the back of my tongue. Again nothing.  I was then sent for a CT scan which show minor mucosal disease confined to the maxillary sinus. The CT also showed a small retention cyst in the left maxillary sinus and a larger retention cyst in the right. I was then referred to an ENT doctor. He examined the CT and put a camera up my nose to look in my sinus and throat. I was told there was nothing sinister but noted secretions on my tonsils. He noted that my tonsils were not swollen however and did not see it as an issue. I was told to continue using Avamys and put on a short course of Cortisone tablets which did nothing. I have since stopped the Avamys as I started to get some blood in my nose which my GP told me was the nasal spray. I stopped the spray and the nose bleeds stopped. Thank god he got this right as I was really starting to freak out. Throughout this whole time I have also been irrigating my sinus with a rinse I got from the pharmacy. When I irrigate nothing comes out but water. It is as if the issue is further back. I can blow my nose as hard and as much as I want but the mucus does not come out of my nose. When I lay down my sinus becomes much more congested. Upon waking in the morning I am completely clogged up and within 30mins of standing I am coughing/hawking up the thick clear mucus. Lately, I have also developed a strange heavy (I'm hesitant to say tingling because it is not quite that) sensation on the bridge of my nose. These seems to come and go throughout the day.

I have another appointment with another ENT to get a second opinion on 24th (these guys are hard to catch).

Can anyone give me any insight in to what is happening with my nose and throat? I have been freaking out on and off that I have cancer or something really bad. Not sure what to do. So far the GP and ENT have offered not diagnosis let alone solution to the problem.

Any help or guidance on what to do next would be very much appreciated.

Josh
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, its most likely that all your symptoms are due to sinusitis. If it is a chronic sinus infection, 4-6 weeks of antibiotics are pretty standard in addition to nasal steroid sprays, oral steroids, and salt water irrigations of the sinuses.  If this fails to solve the problem, sinus surgery is usually recommended. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time. Regards.
Thanks for replying to my post. The ENT said I did not have any signs of infection. I have throat pain as well some difficulty swallowing almost like my throat is swollen and presaure/pain in my right ear as well which the ENT said was all due to the nasal congestion.

I saw a second ENT who did a scope but said he couldn't see anything sinister. I'm goung back to the 1st ENT this week to follow up as he said come back if things don't improve. I'm going to ask him for a referral to have an mri of my throat and sinus. it really just feels like my sinus and throat are swollen. Reading the web I'm worries I have throat cancer.and will raise these concerns at my next meeting with the ENT. From what I read it's fairly uncommon in young non-smokers like myself but have read articles about HPV causing it in young adults. Do you think my concerns are warranted? This has seriously been doing my head in. Feeling depressed at the moment :(
After visiting the ENT yet again I left with no answers. This time I have been sent for an ultrasound of my throat and given reflux medication even though he said there wasn't any obvious signs of reflux. He said I have to take the reflux medication for 2 months and if there is no improvement then come back.

For some reason both ENT's and my GP are telling me the mucus in my throat is normal. While I agree that yes it is normal to have mucus in my throat I don't agree that the consistency should be that of glue. They seem to dismiss this. I'm putting it down to the fact they have no idea or explanation for it. Does anyone know how I should be communicating this to the doctors to make them realise that it is actually an issue and requires an explanation?

I also went back to my GP and demanded a referral a third opinion with an experienced and well know ENT. I told him which ENT I wanted to see after doing some web research. I also demanded that he give me a referral for a CT scan of my throat. My respect for my GP and specialists I have seen is dropping. I don't understand why they can't diagnose me or refuse to take anything seriously. I don't think my GP would have even made the first referral if I didn't demand it. I don't think the specialists would have scoped my throat if I didn't insist. They wouldn't have even ordered the imaging scans that I had done if I didn't insist. These guys seriously need to clean up their act.

Hiya mate, i found this site through googling because i have a similar situation to yourself. How are you getting on? I've seen ENT and GP's and even tried the antibiotics route and eventually the surgery, shaving a turbinate and widening my sinuses and still i have the clear thick mucus in the throat that needs clearing. Its drove me crazy at times when its at its worst and then its eased a bit only to return. Ive done the sinus rinses too but i feel this only clears the matter temporarily only to return soon after so its only treating and not curing the situation. My ENT said i had Staph Aureus up my nose which could be causing it then after researching it i learned that this bacteria is normal to be in the nose and throat of most people, so i wasnt too confident in what he was saying after that as i felt he was clutching straws.

Something I've stumbled on very recently that may help yourself (im not sure yet as i'm currently trying it myself) is Goldenseal root herbal supplement and Echinacea which is taken together 3 times a day and also 3 drops of Nascent Atomic Iodine in each ear before bed with a cotton wool ball to keep the iodine in the ears while it works overnight. The iodine kills any ear infection that may be triggering the immune system into reacting hence the thick clear phlegm in the throat. I thought i'd mention this anyway mate. Let us know how your situation is and if its any better as it sounded so similar to mine when i read your comments. All the best. John