Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Thick mucus - sinus cyst
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Thick mucus - sinus cyst

I'm a 38 year old male and had a tonsillectomy apx. 3 years ago. About a year after the surgery, strange things started to happen.  I started to get a VERY *VERY* thick and rubbery mucus line down the back of my throat that is impossible to swallow. I have to (daily) use a qtip and pull it out or I'd go crazy with it.  It is like rubber and tastes rancid if it hits my tongue on the way out.   I also developed a tiny little clear 'bump/bubble' on the right/rear roof of my mouth that I can pop with a fingernail (Dr's orders), which comes every once in a while after eating salty foods.  I was tested for all types of viral infections (EVERYTHING... herpes, hiv, stds, etc.. though I've been with the same partner for 15 years). And all clean.   But, later, I HAPPEN have to injured my neck and received an MRI several months ago.  The MRI tech made a note that I had a cyst in my right maxilla (sp) sinus cavity (same side as my little bump friend and where my tongue pain lives).  I immediately went to see my ENT about the findings and he said a cyst was a common problem related to having trauma (the tonsillectomy) and there is nothing that can be done about it.  He suggested the little 'bump'  and that the drainage issue stemmed from that cyst. But there is nothing that can be done about cysts. (note: he never bothered looking at the MRI pictures).    I can live with the little bump that comes from time to time.. but this drainage is HORRIBLE.  What can I do? And does the Dr's explanation sound legit?  BTW, I also developed chronic pain in the right/back of my tongue at the exact same time as all of this, but that has been explained away by the drainage as well.

Would appreciate any help on this.