Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Thick mucus in the sinuses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Thick mucus in the sinuses

This is not a question, but I thought I would post this in case someone else has similar symptoms to what I had and perhaps can be helped by this information.
I have had a problem for about 6 years now with thick mucus in the sinuses, which is very difficult to clear.  The problem is much better these days because I have found ways to deal with it.  However, I had a hard time in getting help from doctors, even ENT specialists, because I don't think this problem is well known.  I spent 4 years feeling pretty miserable a lot of the time and gradually getting worse.
The only solution I know of to this problem is to drink lots of water to thin the mucus out.  The drugs prescribed to thin mucus, such as guafenesin, I didn't find very effective.  And in any case you can take them for only a week, which hardly does you any good.  Thick mucus is a long term problem, and a short term cure is not too helpful.  Taking on liquids does help, and though progress has been slow, I'm feeling much better now than I was a while back.
To give a list of some of the symptoms I had:
(1) Headaches, particularly of the muscle-contraction type.
(2) Mild dizziness.
(3) Pain and a raw feeling in the ears.
(4) Ears going red and feeling hot.
(5) Various nasty feelings in the head, e.g.:
    (a) A sick, queasy feeling similar to what you feel in your stomach when you need to vomit.
    (b) A feeling that the inside of your head is sticky and dripping.
    (c) A feeling like you've got a bog in your head--it felt like my brain was rotting.
(6) Mild difficulty breathing at times, since you're fairly blocked up.
(7) A feeling of fullness in the ears, which is relieved from time to time when you get a discharge of clear, light fluid (like sweat or tears) from them. (Doctors will tell you such a discharge is impossible, but it's not.)
I find the best way to clear the sinuses is to lie flat on my back and hawk the stuff back and spit it out.  It's often hard to get rid of the stuff by trying to blow it out your nose. Nasal sprays and drops, breathing steam, etc., that is the usual remedies, never did me any good.  The only solution was to thin the mucus out, and the only way I know to do that is to take on lots of liquids.
I hope this helps anyone who might have a similar problem.
You may also want to try the following.  When I get colds they always turn into sinus infections.  When they near their end the green/yellow mucous gets impacted and this really helps to clear it out.

If you wear contacts you can use an empty contact lense solution container.  The tiny hole lets you control the amount that comes out vs getting salt water all over your face.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/index/166738
I invented the technique mentioned above by elltkeen, because I had the same symptoms as you (except the ear-tears, though I do believe you) and it resisted everything.  Saline solution does an incredible job of washing infections out of your sinuses and other head cavities, but gravity defeats it.  My technique is mildly risky, as it involves bending over in a shower (use the gravity, instead of fighting it) but I've had 100%effectiveness with it.  A chronic like yours will take a few weeks to beat, but you can do it.
Thanks for the info.  Actually on occasion I use a technique similar to that, though not as involved, and it is fairly effective.  Fortunately, these days I don't have to do much of anything, since the problem is by and large whipped.  I used to be blocked up all the time, but happily, those days are gone.
I definitely can relate to your problem.  I too have thick, very thick mucus in my sinuses.
I had to change ENT's because the first one wouldn't listen to me when I explained my symptoms.  My new ENT had CT scan taken of my sinuses and found a lot of problems.
My sinuses were plugged and only once in a while would I be able to feel something want to be blown out.  When it did (the size of a dime), it was green and ugly, but so thick.  When I'd see the doctor, they couldn't see anything; so what I did was when this green mucus would come out (very little), I would take a Q-tip and take a sample of it and place it in a zip-lock bag and take it along on my appointment to the ENT.  Then the doctor can see the color and what he is dealing with.  After three visits like this, the CT was ordered and surgery is on the way.  I've had my problem as long as you have.  I, too, use to have strange feelings in my head, ears (itched), nos (itched)  cheeks (were red) earaches (which I usually don't have), eyes (watered constantly and couldn't drain properly-and sticky fluid coming out of them).Couldn't concentrate and terrible memory problems...All because of the blocked up sinuses.  I hope that this surgery helps clear it up.  Anyway, try taking a sample with a Q-tip to the doctor the next time you go.  He needs to see what color the mucus is.  Good Luck to you...I know what you are going through.
I'm in no way against surgury when necessary but I wonder If you try the sinus cleanse by friggy how it would work for you.  After all of my problems I had a CT scan and everything came back clear with the exception of a couple miniscule systs.

I also drink almost 1 gallon of distilled water a day.  Believe it or not, bottled water and spring water is near equivalent to tap water.  Distilled is the purest form you can get.

Try drinking pure water and for a month and see if that helps break up the mucous to where you can expell it.
To Katie633, you certainly have my sympathy.  It's no fun, and I know what you're going through.  I also know what it's like when doctors won't listen to you when you describe your symptoms.  I hope everything works out for you.
Just wondering, does anyone know the causes of thick mucus, or can you point me to any info on the subject?  In all the research I did, the only known cause I could find was dehydration.  I suppose this is a possibility in my case: for example, I've always had very dry skin.  However, for more two years now I have been drinking as much water as possible, and things still aren't completely right.  Much, much better than they used to be but still not completely right.  All this time, progress has been steady, but very, very slow.  I really wonder what's going on.
It is called Neti and it is a technique over 2000 years old... extra points for you for using saline solution though...