Thick sticky mucus in my throat
Reposting ..hoping for some help

Hello .. I have been suffering from thick sticky mucus .. clear but sometimes white . Its hard to get rid .. wont move . So thick and very distressing .its really effecting my quality of life . I forever howking up to try and move it ..but however much I do so and manage to get up ..theres always a ball of it just stuck at the back of my throat . Sometimes I can grab it and drag it out from the back of my throat .. thick and stringy .. and could almost tie it in a knot . Gross eh :-(

Ive tried steam inhalation .. gargling .. drinking loads of water . . and still its the same . Had this problem about three years now . Is there anybody out there that help me please .

Thank you
Have the same very scary symptoms.  Over the last six months, sticky goo on the back of my tongue. Mostly white gooey stuff that I scrape off because it makes a bad taste in my mouth. I believe that because I take a ton of drugs due to rheumatoid arthritis .. my liver is not functioning well so my body is trying to expel wastes/toxins. Put sea salt in my mouth, held it for as long as I could stand then rinsed. Helped a lot. This is only a temporary solution.  I'm going to try a cleanse to clear my body of toxins. Bet the mucus goes away after that. Will keep you posted. Might just be the body's way of trying to "clean up".
I don't quite have this problem.  (I'm sick with bronchitis right now, so I think my sticky mucus problem will go away.)  But I have some suggestions that may help some people:  get allergy tests done.  People sometimes don't know that they have sensitivities to some foods.  Common culprits are gluten, cow's milk, and sugar.  I have heard many stories the last few years of people who stopped consuming gluten products and/or milk products, and feel much healthier, lose weight, and have fewer health problems.  I have noticed that I seem to produce more mucus when I eat milk products, wheat-containing foods, and foods with sugar.  I clear my throat a lot after I eat them.  Even if you don't get tested for allergies, try to eliminate one of these foods from your diet.  Stick with it for 3 or more weeks.  You might be surprised at the results.  

Secondly, stress can produce more mucus.  I have noticed this with myself, and I have read about it, too.  If conventional western medicine is not yielding any results, try seeing a counselor.  Practice stress management.  It may help.

Lastly, look at the properties of herbs.  Go see an herbalist.  Visit your food coop.  There are probably other herbs out there besides oregano that can reduce mucus production.  I know that turmeric is an anti-inflammatory.  Put it in your food more often.  See if it helps!  

I hope this helps somebody!  Good luck to everyone out there.  I hope you get some relief.  

I have had this problem for at least 5 years, but i have at least found a way to deal with it most of the time.  I find that the best way to solve the problem short term is to simply stop trying to clear the lumpy feeling.  Sometimes I have to clear it and it always comes back, but if i consciously make an effort not to clear it then within an hour it goes away on its own, sometimes for as long as a few days, sometimes just a few hours. This is harder to do than it sounds because your instinct is to dislodge the lump whenever you feel one.  Make a constant effort to swallow normally and not dislodge the lump and the mucous that is constantky being lodged there will have no place to go but back into your sinus and through the nostrils. It usually takes an hour before i have total relief but it may take others a few hours. Whatever you do when you constantly try to dislodge and swallow it just creates more space for it to continuously keep building up.  Leaving it where it is and swallowing normally minimizes that space so it cant build up and eventually what is there will get swallowed nrmally. It will always come back though but this is the best method ive found to get relief. Usually when i do this i can even feel the lump move upward toward my sinuses before
(cont'd) ... I feel relief. Hope this helps. (sorry for the double post but im typing this on my phone and the keyboard is hard to use.)
Milk products does the same for me, and even causes my eyes to become sticky and blurry....
Wow! Ive been suffering from this clear super sticky stuff for years now. Ive decided to turn to the web to find a cure and I'm super shocked but glad to see that I'm not alone in this! All day long I'm constantly trying to dislodge the stuff from between my nose and throat with weird sounding coughs that some people actually mistake for me sneezing and tell me "bless you". HOW EMBARRASSING IS THAT! I'm never able to get a glob out, only small pieces at a time which irritates me even more. Sometimes when I cough, a piece of it will shoot out of my mouth unexpectedly! I have tried so many things hoping to get some relief such as saline nasal spray, nasal irrigation (Neti-pot), antihistamine pills, warm compresses over my eyes and nose, acid reflux medicines, eye drops, tons and tons of water...you name it, I think I have tried them all! All of the things Ive tried to do don't give me relief that long. I thought I was getting this mucus because I was dehydrated and not drinking enough water, then I thought it was because of my medications I was taking, then because of possible allergies and dry eyes. I have been using Restasis to help me create more tears but only been using it for a couple of weeks which isn't enough time for me to see any changes. I think it takes a couple of months for it to start to work. I'm starting to believe that its all in my head! Maybe if I don't try to clear it out so much it, my nasal passages wont be so irritated causing all this nasal mucus.

Ive also seen from people on here say that Colloidal Silver Nasal Spray works too so I've picked some up from my local Vitamin store last night and so far so good. The irritating feeling to always have to clear my throat has went away a lot! It didn't completely make the phlegm go away but its not bugging me as much. I will see how it goes!
Found a way to clear out the sticky phlegm ball in the back of my throat quickly. Instead of trying to clear my throat, I give a few big coughs over the sink when I first wake up. It can be a little uncomfortable as each cough gets stronger, but after some practice I now get the entire ball out in a couple of coughs, and then don't have to think about it again until the next morning. I keep expecting the cough to hurt my throat, but it actually feels better than trying to clear my throat. This won't resolve the underlying issue, but it at least improves my daily quality of life.
…Make sure to do this first thing in the morning right when you get out of bed. If I don't do it first thing in the morning, it doesn't work.
I have suffered with this awful, glue-like phlegm for years now ( at least 15 years) it is so distressing because you cannot swallow it or bring it up. I found Rhinocort (nasal spray) the only thing that worked for me until I started getting headaches from it as I have a sensitivity to it. So after a few more frustrating years I tried a puff or 2 of ventolin which seems to open up the airways enough to dislodge the mucous. I have all the sympathy in the world for anyone who suffers from this ailment. Good luck, I hope my findings help you . Tracey
Wow I did not know there were so many people with the same condition, I have had this now for three years and yes very stressful on yourself and the family. I had just finished eating some popcorn and felt like a piece of husk was stuck in my throat, very sharp feeling and could not move it, after visiting the ENT Specialist and having the camera down the throat and up the nose he could not find anything except some mucus. So I put up with it for a while, then I went to a lung specialist who said this is caused by asthma, proceeds to put me on a puffer which has had no effect I am still bringing up sticky mucas and sensation of something still lodged in my throat. At times there is blood specks and other times brown or black specks. After reading some of these stories I am under the impression that I may have this condition for a while yet.
Sorry family you are still going to have to put up with my hacking for a while longer.

Hello everyone. After reading this forum and going through all of the responses I think I may have an idea of what is going on. You are right to think that there is something stuck in your throat. I have had the same problem for years and I was just recently (a few hours ago) laying in bed with my head propped up pushing up on the left side of my throat (problem side) trying to force some of the thick white stringy mucus out and I was successful in getting a very large amount of it out, although it came out from my right nostril. So be aware that if the mucus is on a certain side of your throat, it can only come out of the opposite nostril; i.e. left throat, right nostril and vice versa. After making this discovery it made me think about throwing up after drinking a lot of alcohol, and how forceful it can be to actually push food up through your nose. I'm willing to bet that this has happened to alot of you that are suffering with this problem. After thinking of this I got an idea. I have been reading for years about how a neti pot can help people with post nasal drip and mucus and all that and I had tried it, but it never worked for me, so I thought, what if I could recreate that moment of vomiting and food coming out of my nose, except with warm salt water. So I got a cup of warm water, added salt and took a big gulp, enough to fill my whole mouth and then I clutched over the toilet and grabbed the sides, just like I was going to go vomit after partying all night and I heaved (contracting the abdominals), forcing the water out through my nose and guess what? A popcorn kernal and two small white seeds came out (probably cucumber). I'm guessing that there is a crevice in between the roof of your mouth and your nostrils where things that are not digestible can get stuck when you vomit. I know that the popcorn kernel was what was causing the problem because I haven't eaten popcorn in years because I hate when it gets stuck in my throat and teeth. Here's to hoping that some of you find relief by using this method. I feel so much less anxious already.
I have same problem, today I found this :
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-the-Throat-of-Mucus
I hope it will help.
I've also been experiencing the same symptoms for almost a year now. I find that my mouth is excessively salivating and I always feel I have something stuck in the back of my throat. I must spit once every 5 minutes throughout the entire day, just because it feels uncomfortable to swallow all the saliva I've been generating. I've tried NeilMed nasal rinses, antihistamines, mucous and phlegm cough syrups, and antibiotics(amoxillin). Nothing really changed at all...

The issue started out of the blue last Summer, I believe it might have been triggered by some kind of virus or bacteria. I can't imagine how an allergy could randomly appear and just not go away this long; I had been fine the previous 20 years of my life. Drink tons of milk, eat plenty of nuts, never experienced any saliva or mucous problems. It's only been since about a year ago that I've had this nasty onset, and it drives me crazy. All day at work I'm trying to cough up the mucous, and sometimes I'm compelled to stick my finger in the back of my throat and pull it out. Sometimes it's clear and runny, if I've been drinking lots of fluids I suppose... Others, it's thick and white(er). I suppose it's naturally that way, and when mixed with clear liquid it evens out or something.

Either way, I can't imagine living like this for the rest of my life. I've seen 3 doctor's about it, but I suppose it's no good that they don't specialize with sinuses. Their advice was less than helpful and I felt like a fool for seeing them; what they thought was a 'smart' solution for my problem was something obvious I had already tried or read about it not helping for others describing the same symptoms.. Being the anti-biotics, nasal rinses, etc.

Honestly, I'm just learning to live with it for now, but it really drives me crazy... It's like living in a hell. As I've written this I've spit a small cup almost half full already....
All,

I've been suffering with a barking cough for almost 3 years.  I have seen 4 ENT's, 5 pulmonologists, 2 immunologist, had 2 sinus surgeries, been to Mayo Clinic for a week and 3 other hospital systems.  I've had 3 bronchoscopies, PH, GERD & Asthma testing....NOTHING!!! NO one has answers.  Clear thick mucus, coughing, facial pain, many infections - been on every treatment imaginable (as you mentioned).  Being checked for a sinus fungal infection soon, due to the black specs in mucus.

After reading this, I will attempt eliminating dairy, I just purchased pure essential oils and I'll try to vinegar gargle, to see if it helps.  I am a college professor and my chronic cough is embarrassing but the infections are disabling.  

I definitely need a support group as I feel like I am living a hell no one around me understands.   Quite honestly, I think they are tired of hearing me complain, cough and talk about it.  
Hi ,
I read the thread and could not stop myself writing . I have suffered from the same problem from last 10 months . I tried almost all doctors who got done my MRI's , CT Scans , X-Rays , Angiography . I have mucus , thick white mucus stuck at the back of my throat . Also at times the back of my head getting numb , heavy neck and I unable to again develop a zeal to work with my dedication :(
After I tried all Allopathic medicines , I decided to move to Homeopathic & Natural Remedy doctors . To all doctors this is just sinus and they do not seem to completely understand our situation and symptoms ? But I should be honest , even though I still have days when I get troubled , but Natural remedy , rather Ayurveda medicines have given me some relief . Yes its some relief . I am still 60% of where I was .
I liked the theory of Ayurveda , which says that a cure to a problem can only be found if your body starts producing anti bodies for it . And hence while you are taking Ayurveda medicines , you should eat all that troubles you so that body can produce anti bodies to fight against the problem .
I still have 75 more days of medicine to be taken to see if it actually benefits me and brings me out of this situation and I will make sure to discuss the result with all of you .
Some time back I was so depressed that I may be the only person with this problem as no one understood what I tried to explain , however I feel strong and have a feeling that we will all come out of it very soon .
What I am worried about is that after I had this problem , my wife seems to have the same problem now . Is it contagious ? As per doctors NO .
Anyone who had this problem and is 100% in good health today . Please share .
Keep fighting friends . The only way you stand a chance to win would be to FIGHT . Stay connected ....
Lymphatic massage up around the top half of the torso, can help I have found, It's very featherlight massage, when you find the right spots something clicks or crackles in places and the mucous turns runny or just feels like the body re-absorbs it, laborious though. I've had this throat clearing problem since i was 7 years old and very little seems to help, seen so many doctors and specialists about it. We first suspected it was a lactose allergy but I do it every day regardless of whether i have lactose foods. Then asthma... Inhalers help, but not much. Holding in one really big deep breath after clearing seems to calm it down, if you repeat clear and hold a few times. Everything brings it on for me, stress, drinking water, crying, dust. I plan to try some antihistamines, because i suspect that may help. It irritates everyone around me at work, and home. Makes me look unhealthy, unprofessional and exhausts me. My family think it's all in my head, refuse to believe that i will choke, and if i just don't cough it will go away, my recent employer constantly insists i should have some unrelated operation a co-workers wife had and my co-workers urge me to see more doctors who will no doubt dose me up with something new with a nice list of side effects, but hey, as long as other people don't have to hear me coughing, right? I feel your pain.
Hi Koalacoast,

I came to your thread and decided to post back to you because I am an aromatherapist and what you claim regarding Oregano is very factual. This is excellent advice. You can also add a drop of the following essential oils: Rosemary, eucalyptus citriodora and lavender. Make sure you are using therapeutic grade essential oils and a good carrier oil such as Jojoba (1 tsp) that you can use as a massage on the chest and also the bottoms of the feet
Ive had many of these same problems for about 5 years and still have some today. I constantly will wake up with thick hard mucus  and get it throughout the day. While my sinus allergies seem to only accelerate the problem (perfume, cleaners, mostly anything pungent with the exception to some natural smells)  I am frequently still coughing and making weird noises all day. I often have to take Tissue or paper towels everywhere I go in order to deal with constantly coughing up.

While I found that reducing stress, eliminating dairy, nuts, and very sugary foods has helped immensely it still hasn't solved the issue. Years ago I was bounced around from neurologist to neurologist and I never got a full solution. Ive tried breathing treatments, sinus flushes, sinus sprays, drinking excessive water but I cannot get rid of it. It is unfortunate that this is not just a problem I have but I am glad to hear I am not alone in trying to find a solution. This has really put a hit on my quality of life and at 24 people just think I am making it up. Just today it was called out to me as something I always do by someone I know.
My Mom has had a real thick mucous, too. It's so thick she can't even spit it out, she has to wipe off with lots of kleenex or use a tongue scraper. It's the worst at night, which often keeps her awake. I used a diffuser with essential oils last night. She slept all the way through the night! This was a great thing for her.
I've read the post about using oregano. I will order some Young Living oregano essential oil to try on Mom next.
You hit it right on the money when on your recent post you described what I hawked up today for the very first time.It appears to be mucus and I had trouble describing  it and spitting it out. I needed to know from others what the (*&%^$&*is this horribly thick, sticky, gelled and stringy mucus! ?"

Seriously, I am concerned as this is the very first time I expel this type of mucus and am concerned that I will continue to do so. I don't drink alcohol and do not and have never smoked. I don't even have a cold or a flu.

Yes I am concerned. What is it.
I haven't read every post but I am 26 who's had this problem since I was 12, I tried a lot of stuff and none of it's never worked.mine seems to always get worst when iv being in a car or some type of transport, so I wonder if it's any pollution from that. Also when I go on holiday abroad it goes away, at first I thought it was stress related then I relised when I go on holiday thats the longest period of time I stay way from cars. So I think it's Sum sort of allergic reaction from air pollution cuming from the engine or air conditioning.
This is to any and all who are suffering with excess mucus, a terrible taste in the back of the throat (manure or rotten), bad breath, uncomfortable feeling in the throat, hoarseness, wheezing, waking up with "gunk on the back of the throat.  It may be tonsil stones.  The ENT's may say it is GERD or LPR and you can read as much information on the internet as you want and try as many remedies as you want, but I would encourage everyone to PLEASE, PLEASE start with a water pick and get in to the deep crevices in your tonsil's.  It may take a couple days and some bleeding to ensure you have gotten all of the crevices cleaned out.  Be careful and use the lowest pressure tip.  I tried gargling numerous types of liquids to include; apple cider vinegar, peroxide, salt water, pure lemon juice, anti-bacterial mouthwashes. I gargled up a "few" tonsil stones since my symptoms started about three months ago and thought with all of the vigorous gargling that there was no way I still had tonsil stones but yet I still had many of the symptoms I described above and the rotten taste in my throat was driving me insane.  My ENT said I had LPR.  I decided to spend the thirty five bucks on a water pick and cannot explain how many more tonsil stones  broke loose.  I literally hit the "mother load".  I could have gargled the rest of my life, I think and not have broken them loose.  My tonsils may or may not continue to produce tonsil stones but I can honestly say that I have two days under my belt, symptom free and without tonsil stones. One other note, and it is somewhat disgusting, but I want sufferers to know this.  I decided to test the some of the "best practices to eliminate tonsil stones by placing the disgusting stones themselves in capfuls of peroxide, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice.  These liquids did absolutely nothing to break up these stones.  I know this will not help everyone but I truly believe this will help many of you.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.  Good Luck!    
I had a lot of the same issues, and could not find any relief. After extensive research and experimenting with different treatment methods I believe I found answers to some of the symptoms. Due to the grossly over use of antibiotics in all aspects of life, from doctors prescribing them for minor illnesses to animals being treated with a them as a preventive measure. This has ruined the body's natural GI tract balance of good bacteria that keeps yeast and bad bacteria at a low level, and has allowed a yeast overgrowth in the intestines. Since the antibiotics don't singl out only the bad bacteria, your good bacteria is killed off as well. Which the yeast can spread to other parts of the body. For some relief with the throat feeling blocked and bad breath, try eating an organic low sugar yogurts that have the live strains of probiotics. The good bacteria feed on the yeast that I believe is what the stringy mucus. Yeast thrives on simple carbs like sugar, so try to limit or remove from your diet. Also alcohol and breads will make the symptoms worse. A good Probiotic, and Probiotic enzyme daily supplement regime should make you better over time depending on how bad the yeast has spread. Once you get your good quality Probiotic supplements you can take the capsules or tablets and crush or empty capsules in a glass and add a few ounces of water. Then pour into your mouth and swish around, gargle and then swallow right before bed. Do not drink anything else or rinse or brush your teeth after. You want the residual probiotics to remain in the mouth and throat. Also you can take the same mixture and put in a nasal spray bottle and use as a nasal decongestant. It actually works very well. Then hopefully if you avoid gluten and other things that the yeast thrive on, the balance will return. If possible avoid using antibacterial soaps, and foods that were treated with antibiotics as that is what most likely where the problems began. Good luck and be well.
I have the same problem.  I am 54 years old and my illness is unexplained yet I keep going having it and I"ve been to the doctor 5 times already spending bunches of money and they all say "we can't find anything" yet I am sick everyday.  It's been since December 5th 2015.  I am beside myself about this.  I have tried every homeopathic remedy AND conventional medicine remedy and nothing helps me yet each day and night am sick with this thing.  I agree with you..it must be a new form of a virus that they don't know anything about.  
I am having the same exact experience as you are having to the "T".  I am beside myself with what to do but do know you are not alone..this is happening to me right now exactly as you have written in your post!
To all of you who are suffering from phlegm issues...

I know of a physician who has a fantastic understanding of this. All of the symptoms I am seeing on this thread can be traced back to a blocked lymphatic system. Unlike most doctors who focus on treating symptoms, Dr Robert Morse (a biochemist, naturopath, master herbalist with over 40 years of experience healing advanced cancers and other degenerative diseases) focuses on the root cause of dis-ease and can empower you to get your health back. (He has done this for me and thousands of others!) I recommend starting by viewing his intro video, entitled "The Great Lymphatic System."  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScxGrOB1z80

My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering, and I hope you will check this out, as I know you will find the answers that have eluded you for so long. Health and blessings to you all! Amanda
I have also had this problem for the past two years but it didnt last. There is no real cure for this. All I had to do is to stay away from junk foods, cofee and smoking for two weeks. Keep a bottle of water with you all the time and sip almost every five minutes and stay away from chilled beverages. Also reduce your sugar intake. Make sure the first thing you do in the morning is to brush your teeth and do same before you go to sleep.  This situation can really make life miserable and very unconfortable, sometimes you even find it annoying when peoplentalk to you but one interestinly one of the quickerst ways to get tue phlems out of your throat is but talking a lot at least withing 10 mins. Good luck
do you use fresh oregano and how do you get it in the saline solution.  I use the neti pot and put the salt packet and some baking soda a pinch. do you just put some oregano in" my sister lives in france and her pharmacist mentioned oil of oregano which I have not found.  I have extreme secretions all day since jan 2013. finally they may do deviated septum surgery for it pockets by left nose and is never gone enough to eat . I eat very little bits and on a feeding peg to survive.  so if oregano helps pls tell me how.  I am going to try other things.  polarity massage. and more homepathetic.  I think the holistic ideas are better than any ent
Ahhhh no one tell me about this, my stomach get full of air from swallowing nothing, i tried all kind of meds nth happened, only one thing i know  that once i travel outside where i live within 24hrs it disappear really
I have been up all night I ate 2 piece of strawberry cream cheese cake
Phlegm like you wouldn't believe ..Used 2 boxes of Cleanex.Tissues.I have had phlegm for 2 year now  .,after I had pneumonia .No more cheese for me from now on .as soon as I drink a mouthful of water it starts .
I am now drinking ..Night time total Extra strength lemon drink ...for Nasal congestion. Took 2 vit.E.and 1 vit C Got to get some sleep..Read on computer How to Reduce Phlegm...It took me here to these comments.I didn't realized that lots of people had this problem ! !
Only piece of peer reviewed medico-scientific evidence for treatment of severe idiopathic refractory non-allergic rhinitis (which is what we all seem to have) that Ive found.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010591.pub2/abstract;jsessionid=E3CFFA5C6532F0F66DE9CE077891D5B1.f01t03

Hello. I was suffering the same thing. My sorrow goes out to all who suffer from this. Its terrible, all the throat clearing, and sleep interuptions.
I have found something that works. For me.
First.
If you are smoking, NOTHING will work for you. Lungs put out mucus to protect themselves from any and all smoke.
If you don't stop, you will die a horrible death, and this mucus thing is one of the first symptoms.
If you cant stop, then good luck, cause this is the least of your problems, which will end in hospice.
Sorry for the bluntness.
Now, what has worked for me, a non smoker with symptoms of heavy mucus in my throat, that chokes me sometimes when I sleep. (A gross, disgusting, habitual, nightmare)
One, I bought, NAC N_Acetyl_cysteine 600 mg.
Next I bought, Guaifenesin extended release tabs 600 mg.
Next I take a nexium.
OMG! Taking  those things twice a day has done wonders and have relieved my symptoms by 80%!!!!
I am not a hysterical person, and I am very in touch with my body.
These things worked for me, and I feel much better.
In closing. If you smoke anything including pot, stop now, or deal with the mucus.
If you don't, please try these things I have explained. They are relatively cheap, mostly harmless, and the Worked for me!
Good luck everyone.

Picked this up about 16 months ago on a flight from Calif to Pennsylvania.  Started with a cold-makes breathing difficult at times.  Currently take 1/2 a 75 mg zantac twice a day and two benadryl at bedtime.  Oddly enough, the problem disappears when I get on an airplane.  Cleared up in New Orleans this April, St. Croix in July, and Los Angeles this month.  As soon as I get off the plane in Philly it starts back up.  AND, it got worse in Dublin.  Could it be somehow/some way associated with humidity (although New Orleans is humid, it wasn't that bad in April and St. Croix was extremely dry this summer)
I have the same thing. Mine is definitely allergy related. Corticosteroid nasal spray helps a lot. You just have to use it religiously every day. One spray doesn't do anything, but after a week you can tell the difference. It could be anything, bad air quality, animals,  perfumes, food, dust mites, mold etc..
Drink ginger root in warm water with honey..its helped me, and camomille for nausia
Unfortunatley there is no known cure.i have it for three years.you will have to adapt.this is the true.i have seen at least 20 doctors and made 100 tests.Nothing...The nasal douche is working but only for a few hours or so.keep in mind that if you do not have lpr or allergies there can be Lsn(laryngeal sensorial neuropathy).Have you noticed if you have or feel worse with the mucus of you are stressed or nervous?if so you might try a combination a B vitamins with Potasium.This can work after few weeks calming down the laryngeal nerves and you will no feel them all the time.Good luck
I have been having some problem with this mucus thing I hock a loogy spit it out but stuck in my I try to get have to put some of the loogy out but turn into a stringy and evaporate at the touch and has cause me some vertigo has it cause people vertigo and fever sweats
After jaw surgery, I had a breathing tube that got clogged with white,sticky mucus. The post op nurse said she'd never seen that happen before. Years later, I still have problems. I always feel like I have snot hanging down my throat. I'm always trying to cough it up. In the morning, I'm getting stuff out of my throat for half an hour. Sometimes it gets so bad that it stops food from going down. I have had a barium swallow that showed nothing.
Hot'steamy showers do little to help. I have to drink a lot of liquids to keep everything moving. However, I am now trying to get over a cold but the phlegm has been significant for about three weeks. Everyone who got this cold after me, are fine now but I'm still coughing up phlegm with no end in sight.
Hi. I discovered that I am allergic to concentrated orange juice or any concentrated drinks--slushes, snowcones bc the syrups come from concentrated juices.  also--cant have any chili pepper in anything. ill get a sore throat--on fire--then mucus starts up for days.  
I actually thought of cystic fibrosis. Maybe you're right and it's some new form. I'm tired of always coughing and blowing my nose and trying to unclog my ears.I honestly had no idea so many people have this problem until I typed in Thick, sticky mucus..and found this site.
Im so glad you said this, my sister had cystic fibrosis and so i know the symtoms first hand,i also suffer from thick sticky mucus that makes me so sick in the mornings and nothing shifts it, i sound like my sister did when she was coughing..i totally believe that there are weaker strains of cf and that i show them, i know in America they are looking into this!!!
yes, I also discovered Oregano essential oils..as I started to incorporate Essential oils in my daily routine from wearing, ingesting and diffusing them all over my house, not only has it helped my mucus overload but my kiddos haven't been sick in over a year. My doctor bills have decreased immensely. The these have made my faily healthier and everyone wants that in their lives, I have witnessed the amazing things these oils can do. If you are interested in embracing wellness contact me at ***@****. You will be glad you did!!!! Good luck to you all and God Bless
I have had this for years. Unfortunately for me the stuff eventually spread around the back of my neck and head causing degenerative disc disease. Ears are completely glued shut. 24-7 pain pressure and blockage all through skull neck and head. Docs are extremely unhelpful for this and what is actually is a serious infection... Sticky glue like mucous like this is Stenotrophomonas or Pseduomonas. These usually start in the lungs and spread up the esophagus and throat, into sinuses, and could eventually spread to neck/head and cranial. They are very difficult to treat and most docs/labs do not culture for these organisms. Usually they are picked up in hospitals. Bactrim and/or Cipro are the ones that could potentially work for these, but my experience is it will ultimately come back.  These are resistant organisms and usually deep infections. A little sinus swab is not going to show it, you need actual tissue needle biopsy. The stuff sticks into tissues and even blocks nerves thats why everyone on here fe. Thats why no on here gets better. For those claiming sticky glue like scant mucous like this is allergy related, you are wrong. That does not create mucous like this for 5 to 10 years ongoing. I have tried everything and even when i make some progress it comes back. Mainly because the stuff is lodged deep in bronchials and tissels like there head is going to explode and some are nauseous. But after seeing countless ENT's and culturing the stuff more than once positive for Stenotrophomonas they have only given me orals and refuse to give IV. Kind of difficult to treat a deep neck space infection with oral antibitoicsues in lungs and throat. My recommendation is to push for a deep needle biopsy culture in your sinuses or throat. But unless you find a smart doc they are not going to give you IV, just assume its not a big deal and give you orals at best.  Whatever the case, do not give up. One day our very ignorant med community will realize this is no joke and serious problem which is becoming more common. Lastly many mention Cystic Fibrosis on here.. and they are in fact correct in many ways because it is cystic fibrosis patients that have chronic pseudomonas and stenotrophomonas infections.  That is precisely who get this mostly and also people with other underlying diseases. Unfortunately for many on here.. we may be a small group that does not have cystic fibrosis but still managed to get this as a chronic infection.  It happens
I've  had the problem for a long time too and it feels like it gets into my left lung. Dr's say they don't  know what it is causing  this problem. You might want to check for SIBO and candida yeast in the gut. Also H-Pylori will cause these types of problems. COPD and emphysema cause these problems too. So check for these problems. Check gerd and esophageal reflux
I also have this scenario when I consume dairy. I've tried all different forms, raw dairy, pasturized dairy, just cheese, etc, etc, but regardless, when I stop eating all dairy, my symptoms slowly clear up. Before I realized the dairy connection, it' had gotten so bad that I'd had to take Mucinex round the clock for weeks at a time, and sometimes the area surrounding my eyeballs would swell up so bad that I'd lose part of my vision. That would usually happen after I would blow my nose or sneeze really hard. Once I realized that the dairy was causing my chronic sinusitus, I stopped eating all of it and resumed a steady consumption of Mucinex to dry it all up. After a month or two, most of it had come out, but I was still attempting to get the rest out, and it would slowly come out occasionally  in thick, gluey, sticky yellow globules of snot when I would blow my nose like 25 times in a row. Doctors will try to tell you that dairy does not cause mucus, but I've known many people to can attest, firsthand, to otherwise.
Have had and do still get some of these symptoms. A history of problems with my sinuses, migraine, suddenly overheating and sweating whilst feeling there was a problem with my stomach and ear, eustachian tube problems. I have found that GIVING UP WHEAT and gluten, certain other foods and,most importantly, any DAIRY has helped a lot of these symptoms considerably.
Dairy was the number one culprit of sore throat, sinus blockage and ear problems. They do come back occasionally, but it seemed like dairy would constantly inflame an old weakness. A lot of people can't take dairy beyond childhood, and don't even know it. Same with wheat. I did a food diary, there are phone apps too, boring but it helped, looking at anything I had eaten or drank 24 hrs before the problem. Gluten and dairy intolerant. Starting to get the symptoms under control a bit more. Also take very dilute apple cider vinegar as a gargle or tiny drink to clear the throat. Or a salty water gargle. Also found that eating sugary things starts it up again. I am now an egg eating vegetarian. Drink rice milk and almond milk. Don't touch cheese, found lots of replacement spreads, hummus, olive tapenade etc, You may also find the problem is food. Good luck.
Have had this for over 26 years. Affects quality of life badly. I've tried so many remedies, all band aids to underlying issue. Starting to think it's some sort of bacteria or virus causing it. Sinus gets inflamed and produce mucus. I started taking black seed oil, seem to help inflammation a bit. Hope we find a better cure.
Has anyone had success with introducing Lactobacillus sakei or other probiotics into their sinuses to re-balance the sinus flora?
i believe, just by avoiding nuts and dairy products, we can get rid of this problem, going to try it
I am suffering from the mucus problem too.  I know that I get it when I drink concentrated orange juices or slushes, or snowiness that have concentrated juices in it. Also, Sonic drinks with the concentrated added juices.  Chili powder in anything---will produce this mucus in me.  i first feel a burn in my throat then i know--oh great here it comes. Within 12 hours I have an extremely sore-on fire-throat, and then the mucus comes-out of nose and throat.This happens for days--
Is this thread still active?  I have been suffering for years too. Always feel like there is something stuck up behind my nasal cavity. Spit up clear, jelly like crap. Always feel like something stuck in my throat. I also have very dry mouth and throat.  My voice is very hoarse and sometimes cannot soeak at all.  Seen a few ENT dictirs and get scoped every few months. Just told my vocal cords are irritated.  Embarrassed to even talk anymore.  Miserable 24/7.
Same here. I've been suffering for more than 10 years. Last year they removed my tonsils and it did not help. I went to the allergist and I am allergic to nothing. I'm miserable all day because I can't swallow because the mucous is so thick. Have you found any relief?
I hope this thread is still active.
I have had this issue for ~5 years. It is definitely taking its toll on quality of life. Mine is, as my ENT says, like rubber cement. I am not allergic to anything, diet changes are of no help, climate changes- 2 weeks at Oregon coast, 2 weeks in Hawaii, a week in the mountains: No help.
Has anyone else been diagnosed with Sjogrens Disease? A (mostly) Norwegian syndrome. Are you Norwegian?  Do you also have EXTREME fatigue, aches, pains, dry eyes & mouth, trigeminal neuropathy (sharp, shooting, short, repetitive pains in your head intermittently?
Would love to figure this out!