Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Thick sticky mucus in my throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Thick sticky mucus in my throat

Reposting ..hoping for some help

Hello .. I have been suffering from thick sticky mucus .. clear but sometimes white . Its hard to get rid .. wont move . So thick and very distressing .its really effecting my quality of life . I forever howking up to try and move it ..but however much I do so and manage to get up ..theres always a ball of it just stuck at the back of my throat . Sometimes I can grab it and drag it out from the back of my throat .. thick and stringy .. and could almost tie it in a knot . Gross eh :-(

Ive tried steam inhalation .. gargling .. drinking loads of water . . and still its the same . Had this problem about three years now . Is there anybody out there that help me please .

Thank you
Hi, I too have had this same problem for almost 7 yrs. now.  Nothing I have tried helps.  I even had sinus surgery and all that did was make it worse.  It never stops drainings. After tons of tests and tons of money the doctors said that it has to do with my autonomic nervous system - I guess like vasomotor rhiniits.  There is not too much of anything that they can do for me.  I have tried every nasal spray that was ever made and I even had oral steroids too.  Steam inhalation, nasal irrigation for almost 7 yrs. and nothing helps.  I got this after I had the flu from when I was in a third world country.  My doctor said that viruses can do alot of damage to the body and it could even change the way the mucus glands secrete their secretions.  I guess there is not much research done on this problem because it is not life threatening, only makes life miserable.  Does your undereyes ever swell up ? Mine do, they swell up and then go down again, up and then down. My under eyes almost have a bluish discoloration under them. I guess it is from the blood vessels leaking under the skin tilssues.  Does your nose get stuffy from perfume, cleaning supplies, scented laundry soap and other scented things??  If so, you probable have the same problem, but I sure hope not.       T ake care ---- Laaz
You could very well have what laaz has, or it's also possible to have the same problem with acid reflux, which irritates your throat and causes supermucus.  A solution was recently posted by silkysoft, and you can read it at the bottom of the comments part of me journal.

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/2322
I've got the same thing. I have had it now nearly two years and it has gotten worse more than anything. I have found nothing to help it either. I am having an upper GI done, but chances are it won't do any good either. I've had tons of tests done and spent a fortune, but still no relief. I just went to bed one night, woke up feeling like I had something stuck in my throat and from there I have gotten this thick, clear almost gel like mucus in my throat. I hate it. It comsumes my every moment. I hate going to work now too. I feel like I annoy people with my strange noises and am depressed about it. If I cry now, my throat gets full of this stuff, it's horrible. My dad just died and I've cried a lot and I have found that my tears fill up my throat, it's awful. If you find something to help you, let me know, and I will let you know too. I'm afraid there are a lot of us out here with this and no doctor really gives a **** about it. They give ya the regular nasal sprays and what not, but that's it.
Good luck.
Dakotawinks
I had the same thing.  I got it after an influenze bout a few years ago.  After doctor's pills, allergy pills and several different types of inhalers that did nothing to improve the situation I was about ready to give up and in a despairing revalation realized I would have to live with this for the rest of my life.  I did one last search on the internet and came across a posting that has starting to help me.  My mucus is becoming "runnier" each day and my sinuses are clearing up.  Oregano has natural antibacterial and antiviral compounds.  I put about a half a teaspoon in my salt water nasal spray and use it several times a day.  I also put a pinch under my tongue to get those same compounds into my system.  I read you have to stay focused on this process until you are completely cured.  I am encouraged.
You are probably the first one who claims to have a solution. However, your solution is not so clear for me. Could you summarize it again?
Thanks in advance.
Pengyou
I have been having this problem for about six months. It's makes life miserable. I have been reading up and I found a post from someone saying he had this problem for a few years and someone said it could be an reaction too nuts. He stopped eating all nuts and a few weeks later it began too clear up n he hasn't had any mucus unless he eats nuts. I eat alot of peanut butter and food with nuts so I'm going to see if his solution works for me. There isn't a guarantee but it's not like it can make our situations any worse. It may not be the cure for everyone but hopefully it helps some people
Thank you for suggestion to avoid eating nuts. I'll give this a try. I have had this problem for 9 months since my mother died. Could be stress related perhaps. Keep suggestions coming - we'll find a cure eventually. If the medical profession researches it there will be plenty of return on investment as it appears to be such a widespread problem! All the best everyone. Will let you know if I have success.
10 years now that i have this problem,in my ears back of my nose the string that comes out of my throat once in a while,ya i can tie a knot whith it soooo sticky,i take klynnex twist it in my nose and pull some of the mucus out,i feel it pull from the back of my eyes when i do get to pull a good peace out i get like a buzz feel so good air gets in pressure is better for about 1min,in my tears too, fells like fibers in my tears,cant live with this problem anymore,so many doctors scan operations pills,some pills did work two hours after taking the pill better for 10 days starts back,cant take those pills for more then 10 days.no one can live with me the sounds cant sleep wake up every hour.
trying new pill pressures gone not in my ears apo sulfatrim ds,800+160mg twice a day 8:00am and 5:00pm for ten days.
These are all allergy based problems...and there is no solution for allergy.
It comes with particular thing and then goes of ...so avoid that allergy trigger in your life. that can be cold, flower, fragnance, spray other. or one can try homeopathy treatment to have better immune system to fight against allergy.
Good Luck
I too have suffered from this for many years- I personally do not believe it is all allergy based problem. There are so many toxins / polutions adatives etc... on and on, that it has changed the way our metabolism and immune system opperates. It has caused mutations in genetics that even get past on to future generations etc... even right down to antibiotics and steroids that is fed to the animals and fish we consume nowadays; "You are what you eat- likewise for the animals in our food chain." And the same goes for field crops with the pest and weed control as well as geneticly altered plants and animals alike. - What I am saying is that it is not always the / or a doctor's misdiagnosis or disregard to our problems but rather we have entered into a new phase of sicknesses that are and cannot be clearified and diagnosed as they use to be able to do only 20 yrs ago. I say these things partly because I am in the same environment and eat the same diet week after week and year after year- It makes no difference, I still have bouts of these horrible symptoms. Sometimes worse than others and once in a blue moon it will just stop and no symptoms at all for an entire day. If I am lucky it may be a couple of days and nights. I also suffer from many other types of symptoms that I would swear must be realted in some way, but I really don't know if they are or not.??? It is so overwhelming that it simply depresses the hell out of you! Your anxiety goes through the roof etc... Go to the doc and they hand you the cure-all wonder drug of the new age the good ole SSRI's "anti-depressants" because the have the ability to lessen many symptoms for most people and aleiviate the anxiety and or depression that comes from Just Plain Old Being Very Sick but unfortunately there is no cure for- a diagnosis possibly but not a cure yet! ...Hell, as far as we know we may have developed a new version of "Cystic Fibrosis" that may be causing this horribly thick, sticky, gelled and stringy mucus! ?" I am 52 years old and I am sick and I am finding that more and more people are sick in unexplained ways or unspecified. However, I do hope yours and the rest of the ones that are complaining of these symptoms do get a proper and accurate diagnosis and cure! Sincerely, Hang in threre.
I too have the same problem. I'm currently waiting to see a few specialist I have already seen in the past. I have already had a tonsillectomy, nasal polypectomy, and still no luck. I believe the adenoids (adenoids) which he didn't remove may also be causing the problem. Currently things that help are being well hydrated, ensuring that you breath through the nose to decrase/dry build up of mucus and bacteria in nasal cavity, neti pot but NOT religiously, sudafed when symptoms are really bad, and most importantly good diet, exercise, and stress management. FYI, when I get the flu for some reason the syptoms (symptoms) tend to decrease a lot. Could this be some sort of chronic viral sinusitis, in which your immune system temporarily fights the infection to relieve symptoms? Edward D. RN
POOR AIR QUALITY???
I'm oddly encouraged that this isn't cancerous, that's the first thing I thought. Pulled a nasty thick string of this stuff out today after some vigorous exercise. Its the only way I can really dislodge the stuff. I would also say u could tie it in a knot, wow, gross! I was talking to my doc about my potential cancer/thyroid problems (proposed b/c of this throat thing) and he suggested instead that it could simply be a problem caused by the breathing so many particulates in the air. Its very dusty & dry & urban where I live. Possible solution then --> exercise + clean air breathing! Would only be temporary though. Also makes my think about one of those ionic air cleaning products...
I have had the same problem with very thick sticky mucus in the back of my throat for about 4 years now. I was reading about dairy and its affects on the body, how it is a mucus forming food, mostly for digestion. I wondered if there was any chance it is the cause of my problem. I gave it up  and within 5 days almost no mucus. No doctors, no meds, no nothing. Simple solution, but boy do I miss dairy. I have it once in a great great while and then the mucus comes back right away. Please try it, you wont be sorry!
if you are taking seroquel

Some other common side effects (occurring in 2 to 10 percent of people taking the drug) included:

•Indigestion or heartburn
•Nausea
•Vomiting
•Increased appetite
•Lethargy
•Nasal congestion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
•Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
•Back pain  
•Shakiness (tremor)
•Irritability
•Joint pain
•Sore throat
•Fever
•Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
•Irritated or runny nose
•Vision problems.
Aren't sinus problems fun? (NOT!)  I'm in the process of giving up dairy as well...I had made dairy products a BIG part of my menu for years.  I hadn't had much luck in the past with giving up dairy because I love milk, and soymilk and almond milk just didn't do it for me...they felt 'oily' in my mouth.

But I've just found Rice Milk, and I'm delighted to say that for me, it's a wonderful milk substitute. Rice Milk has a lovely, light flavor that actually reminds me a bit of the flavor of 100% whole milk, without feeling thick and oily. It also doesn't compete with the flavor of other foods, which was another problem I had in trying to adapt to drinking soy or almond milk.

Giving up cheese and cheese products is much harder but I'm working on that.  One step at a time. :) I've won my milk battle, now I'll find a good cheese substitute, or just do without.   I will probably switch to soy cheese, because unlike soymilk..cheese is supposed to have a fatty texture. I've eaten it before and it's ok..not like wonderful REAL cheese..but good if I have to give up all dairy.

One note: a lot of sinus problems originate with gastric reflux, which can cause you to develop sinusitis, and sometimes gastric reflux can be a 'silent' ailment until things get real bad.  I thought this was crazy at first, but after being on a GERD diet, I can attest that I don't wake any more with that 'golf ball in the throat' feeling in the morning. Turns out my gastric secretions were crawling up my throat at night, and causing the back of my throat to inflame. That can lead to sinusitis and other nasal issues.

I too have had this problem for many years, it's incredibly uncomfortable and gross. I have long thick strings of mucus on the back of my throat,  deep in my sinuses... My ears and eyes are always irritated. It's no fun.
These stands of mucus remind me of those sticky gel-like hands that we would get in the vending machines as a kid that you fling and they stick to just about anything until they get dirty. You can roll them up, tie them in a knot, just about anything but then they return right back to the normal shape. Except we're talking about snot  : /
It's most interesting to see many of you with similar experiences, I just wish we could come up with a solution. I do sinus rinses regularly, I use colloidal silver or oregano regularly, steam, and more. These things do help make the issue occur less often, but it's still a chronic problem. I'll try to remember to post as I discover new things.
Did a search of this forum as I am having problems with thick phelgm in my throat, very distressing.  Not a large quantity but I can hack up a small wad of it.  I have been under the care of a few ENT and GI docs.  One suggested Mucinex but that didn't help and upset my stomach.  Mine seems to be near my voice box and the base of my neck.  Due to chronic dry mouth and throat, I am constantly drinking something.  Saw an ENT doc yesterday who didn't do a scope but looked down my throat.  Didn't really give me any answere but said it is caused by the dryness.  Now, it never goes away and he tells me to stop clearing my throat.  If I don't, I feel like I will choke.  Makes me very anxious.
There must be another speciality that can address these issues.  I am so tired of ENT docs not trying to find answers to ongoing and worsening problems. They do CT scans and MRI's don't see anything and send you on your way. Look down your throat, same thing. Give you prescription mouth washes that don't do anything.  Complained of a sore tooth so ENT doc gave me antibiotics.  I am so tired of going from doctor to doctor and now have major dental issues and don't know how I will get through that!  
I am again sick to my stomach.  Horrible dry mouth and throat. Now dealing with phelgm problems that affect me to the base of my neck and often feel like I am choking. Always,mthe left side is worse.  I keep telling them the "tissues" of my tongue and palate don't feel right.  There has to be some disease process going on and they are not testing for.  All because they don't visually see anything obvious.  Now, my left ear is starting to hurt and I just feel physically unwel, all the time.  I am so tired of this and disgusted, as is my husband as this causes a poor quality of life.
Where do you go? You read about odd diseases being diagnosed.  How and where and what type of specialist!
Yes, guess I am ranting this morning as I am beginning another bad day.  Welcome to modern medical care where a doctor gives you a 10 min exam, no answers and out they go.  I know they don't give me or my case a second thought.  
Well, I am off to lay down and try not to have to swallow or gag and try to settle my stomach.  
When I was still working at college I met a student from Nigeria and became good friends with him.  They have many many home natural remedies that we have never heard of before.  I told him about my mucous problem like yours and he said every morning take 1 tablespoon of lime juice freshly squeezed before anything else you may ingest.  I forgot about his advise until I read your post as mine is flairing up again and I'm going to try it. S
As fate would have it, had an infected tooth my dentist missed. Had a root canal on Thursday and still painful today, Sunday.  Endidontist put me on Clyndomicin (?) every 6 hours. Had to call him yesterday due to stomach upset but he wants me to try and stay on it.  I take Omeprazole, 2x day. This tooth is on the upper left side.  I have been telling numerous ENT docs for a long time something is not right from behind my left sinus, down my throat and feel fullness in my ear.  CT scans and MRI's don't show anything.
Odd thing was, the day after the root canal, I had very little phlegm issues.  Starting Saturday, yesterday, it was again getting bad, dry mouth and throat worse.  I hardly slept last night and this morning have very bad dry mouth and throat, worse feeling of phlegm and feels like something stuck in my throat.  I can hardly swallow and water does nothing.  
Every ENT dic just wants to treat me for GERD, which makes absolutely no difference.  There is something in or around my nasal /sinus area. Above the back of my soft palate.  I can feel it.  Keep pointing that area out and they scope me and don't see anything.
There must be some test or x-ray that can show that area better than CT or MRI.  This is just getting worse and making me and everyone around me miserable.
Any help would be appreciated.  Have seen a few ENT doc's, GI docs and numerous tests done over a long period of time and I just continue to get worse.  I'd go to ER but what are they going to do and it is a nightmare to go there
I have been struggling with the exact same thing as all of you! I have had a sinus surgery that helped me breathe better, but this clear, stringy, sticky mucus is haunting me everyday! The one thing that had semi helped me is using a sinugator from CVS. Instead of using warm water, I use room temperature distilled water with the Neil med premix solution packet. For some reason this makes the large sticky clumps that won't come out with warm water just ooze on out. Sometimes it's almost like pulling a shoelace out of your nose! Good luck to you all.
I too have that same problem, I went to ENT and pulmonary specialist, did GERD test, asthma test, scan test for sinusitis and next week septoplasty or sinus surgery, I hope it will get better, sad to hear if no cure...what will we do?
I have tried the sinus irrigation but that doesn't help.  Mine is down in my throat.
Every morning now I wake up sweating and with n upset stomach before I even get up then the hacking starts.
Dear margot,

I could not help but notice you wake up sweating.  Me too. I am a 37 female have so much mucus stuck in my throat. I am sure it is blocking my ears.  My head is heavy. Dr says it is gerd. I dont know. I have taken omeprazole for four days now. No change.

Do you think yours is viral. I had mine for 6 weeks now. Its scary.

Lillian
I've been suffering from the same problem my doctor has no clue but i have suspicions mold in my apartment and my mattress might be the problem along with a bad infection in my teeth i tried colloidal silver and hydrogen peroxide 3% solution and slept 6 hours without waking but after 2 nights it was back with a vengeance it is part viral and deep infection and doctors don't look for these. good luck
I can't believe there's a lot of us here having problem like this.  I still have it but I'm taking a supplement called "Clear Lungs".  It helps with minimizing the phlegm significantly but comes back if you stop taking it.  I also found out that taking a green barley supplement helps even better.  I hope you can these two and help you guys two.  Hopefully, a doctor can know what's wrong with me and get cured permanently.
hi all sad to to c so many of us with this problem, went to c a gastro he put a camera down my throat and send me for xray, went today for the xray machine was not working push back to the 11 of december, and take another appoitement with the gastro 6 weeks after xrays for the results will let you know if anything come up take care and good luck
I have had this for a few months. It started in one nostile and was very bothersome, and after having it like that a few months I caught the flu virus. Once I was unsick my nostile no longer had problems, however, it now is in my throat. Its just so sticky i can barely spit it out, I normally have to move it to the front of my mouth and pick it out by finger. Ive been put on allgery meds, two different antibocs back to back and had three x-rays and a mri, and now i  am going in again so they can stick a tube down my throat to see if they can see if anything is wrong. So far all my test have shown up clear but my life is just starting to suck, I cough and cough and as soon as i spit it out more is there to take its place. People avoid me all the time because they think im sick, and worst of all it sometimes keeps me up at night because I cant stop coughing. I fear I am going to have this going on forever. Good Luck to everyone here, I wish I had info on how to solve the problem but so far i have found nothing.
Same issues as all of you.......long, stupidly thick mucus that can be stretched and tied.  I have noticed that milk products make my symptoms significantly worse.  Milk products contain a protein called casein that causes the mucus to become overly sticky in some people.  Solid forms of milk products (cheese, yogurt, etc) contain significantly more caesin than liquid milk, which is high in whey proteins.  Either way, I have cut (as much as possible) all milk products and noticed a significant improvement, though not a cure, in my symptoms.   At this point I don't know if i'm simply eating caesin containing products without knowing it or if caesin is the sole culprit (i.e perhaps there are other proteins out there that act like caesin in the body?  or perhaps the same type of problem occurs with nuts as someone mentioned here earlier).  In either case, I highly recommend you try to remove all milk related foods from your diet and see how that goes and report your results so that together we can try to find a better way to live.
Wow...I have had the same thing for years now. if I sniff really hard sometimes it drops down into the back of my throat far enough to pull it out.
I can constantly feel the huge ball of mucus going up and down as I breathe through my left nostril.
It is super thick and sticky! But it is a darker yellowish color .
It almost looks like a big scab around sticky mucus.
I currently have been on 4 antibiotics for the past 8 weeks. On my third round, not only did I still have the sinus infection, but I also have a new ear infection! Very interesting that the huge mucus ball is stuck in my sinus cavities under my left eye,
I have had allergies since I was very young. Lots of ENT appointments at 4 years old..
I had sinus surgery in an area with high humidity about 14 years ago.Whpeen the surgery was over,I was told that the.surgery was more complicated than they anticipated.
They found 7 polyps in my sinuses and removed them. Are these hard to cough up, or blow out sticky hard, moldable mucus balls everyone here is talking about, and what I am also experiencing really polyps???

Any ENT professionals out there know the resolution to this problem?

Please let me know... You can email me @ Littlgreek1@yahoo. Com

Thank you!
Snuffelupagus
I've been having this issue pretty constantly for over a year... it seems to me that it started when i was doing a major cleanup job on my apartment in preparation for a couple roommates to move in... I ended up getting really sick while cleaning, and at least part of that was an allergy to one of the cleaning products (although I never figured out which one).  Since then I have had issues with this thick mucus in my throat and being unable to get rid of it... I live in a very dry, but generally cold climate, and so when i wake up in the morning it is at its worst, and occasionally I can hack up a wad of this gunk... it's always pure white.  I have tried over the counter drugs, a couple antibiotics, oregano pills, drinking lots of water, drinking less or no soda... nothing seems to help.
Mucus buildup remedy - TRY IT!!! (:
When you have mucus/phlegm in the throat due to post nasal drip, get some Silver Biotics (it is the only colloidal silver that really works for me) and make a nasal pray with this solution.

Don't add anything, just spray your nose 3 times daily, 2 spray in each nostril. It will fix the post nasal drip and allow the mucus to get out your nose.

THEN move on to the mucus and phlegm in the throat, here is an INSTANT remedy that will work 100%, all the time and it took me a minute to find this one.

1 - Get some Apple Cider Vinegar and mix it with 1/3 Apple Cider Vinegar, 2/3 cold water

2 - Do a gargle then bend over and stay in this position for as long as you can (minimum 3 minutes). Try to bend over and hold your feet.

3 - While bending, press your tongue against the roof of your mouth every 2 to 3 seconds.

What will happen is that:

a) The mucus/phlegm will attached itself to the mixture as Apple Cider Vinegar acts like a sponge.

b) The gravity will let the mucus/phlegm in your throat to fall in your mouth.

You will feel it falling inside your mouth and when you do, please do not stop because there are usually a lot more coming up.

So continue and each treatment should be at least 3 good gargles. You can do that as often as you like until the mucus/phlegm is completely removed. You can end your session by sucking on honey or drops to soothe your throat.
Sincerely,
Miranda
try chinese medicine. Works for me. After 2 - 3 months of herbal liquids, the problem became significantly less intense. Professors Liew says its a pure case of allergy and the reason i get it it's my 'Yin Yang' energy is not balance and it takes time to normalise the Yin Yang balance. You have to see a qualified chinese medicine practitioner. Lucky for me we have one the best traditional medicine hospital in this region, Tung Shin Hospital, Malaysia. By the way I've been having this problem for more than 10 years and it is now beginning to dissipate..
You are suffering from cystic fibrosis buddy
Take "NAC". N - ACETYL CYSTEINE.

It's an amino acid that is said to actually break up the strings which is making our mucus so thick and gummy. LOOK IT UP. Changed my sinus in ONE DAY. Doctors use it for diseases that have this sticky, clear, glue-y, rope-y clear gunk we are all suffering with. I have been suffering with it for 15+ years. I was shocked when I noticed a significant change in the 1st day (I read effects can be felt in 30 minutes). What would it hurt to try. I am sincerely hopeful after just 5 days of being on it.

If it works for you, spread the word!! We are suffering and suffering and suffering, and doctors are just giving us %^&* Sudafed and antihistamines that either only work temporarily, or don't fix the actual issue.
I have had this same problem for 5 years now. I suspect it is GI tract related because there is something weird going on there that doctors don't acknowledge or treat. I've been to a bunch of doctors, kept notebooks, spent far too much on medication. There are several things that have been helpful to me. 1) spending time walking up and down the biggest hill I can find as exercise (if I can do an hour and a half every single day I can breathe easily and have no stringy snot, though the GI tract problem is still there and throat is never quite right).  2) taking an anti-acid at night before bed. 3) topical progesterone (onset of this problem coincided with perimenopause).

I am so sick of this that I am now undertaking a very old school cure that I have heard of which is water fasting. I am so sick of being sick.
I tried the "NAC". N - ACETYL CYSTEINE.

Got really sick with this in May and wound up at the doctor for the first time in a year. The doc put me on albuterol, a z-pack, and prednisone. Additionally I tried the NAC and Echinacea since they finally arrived through the mail (I get a bit impatient when breathing is an iffy proposition). The main healing was done by the prednisone, but the NAC seems to be addressing the underlying systemic mucus problem which I think showed itself as GI tract problems among other things. My mucus actually looks like mucus again and not like gelatinous stringy glop. I think the mucus was at the bottom of my GI tract problem. After taking NAC I actually passed gas like a proper person (which was a pleasant shock) instead of dealing with painful pockets of gas that slooooowly and painfully make their way through my system.

Thanks lil g, I'm spreading the word :)
God help me. I am 31 and after I had the flu I delevoped difficulty breathing.  I been in pretty good shape and work out.  Last 7 months I have this horrible clear slimy mucus in my nose and throat.  I been to the ER, x rays, ct scans like many people here. Nothing..  I get flush and dizzy and hard to breathe. The headaches in the temple are horrible.  It does help to workout and take mucusinex. I would give a arm to feel normal again. My emailis
***@**** if any one can help.

Thanks Jeremy
Have you gotten better?
I too have this problem and have had it for years.  Initially I went to the doctor who sent me for allergy tests.  I was put on a dairy free diet which consisted of boiled turkey, rice with no seasoning and banana with soya milk.  After a month on this diet, A: it has put me off all of those things for life but B: nothing changed. I have always lived in the counrty and non polluted environments and have recently moved to Rural France, but this has not helped so air quality is not the issue.  

I think my problem started after I got glandular feaver as a teenager.  I am now 47 and am finding it now getting worse, could it be down to changing hormones?

I have woken recently on a number of occasions feeling I am suffocating and someone is pushing on my chest.  I have a sticky white mucus that is constantly in the back of my throat but does not block my nose.  I have dry eyes and a dry mouth and drinking does not help clear it, only a loud long snort slightly dislodges it.  When I clean my teeth I retch as I cannot swallow.  I have tried beconaise and sudafed as well as other nasal sprays, nothing works.  Vics sniffy stick with menthol sometimes helps but I am getting distressed with it now.  I have always looked after my teeth and had good oral hygene, but recently I have had recurring oral thrush and bad breath as my mouth is so dry.  I am using cordosil mouth wash but this does nothing to clear that irritating mucus.  Recently I tried gargling with white vinegar which helped a bit but burnt my throat.  I will try anything as I am fed up with the situation and doctors seem unable to help.

My symptoms are
Thick white mucus non snortable
Dry eyes
Dry mouth
Difficulty breathing although not blocked up
Blocked ears (not deaf but hearing slightly impared)
Ears pop when I blow my nose
Tear ducts pop and blow air when I blow my nose
Oral thrush
Dry skin
Tight (ish) chest
Causing anxiety attacks with rapid breathing and tingling in hands
not able to sleep, therfore tiredness, irritablity, lethargy

Could it be Sjogrens?

I am writing this at 4am and have been up for over an hour struggling to swallow.  I wish someone could help, feeling miserable :(
I didn't know that there are a lot of people suffering from this illness.  Now I'm starting to feel really anxious knowing that you've been suffering it for years.  I've had colds once in a while and wasn't taking any decongestant before.  But the first time I tried it, three months ago, that seems to be the start of my problem. Up till now, I'm still searching for cure.  I hope we all get one.
I've had this for about 2 months now. I feel something weird in the back of my throat, the more I swallow or drink, the bigger it gets... If I ignore it, it coats my throat and gives me a very raspy voice... If I hock it out, then a massive, thick string of snot comes flying out.
Every few weeks I barn sit for somebody. if it was long enough for me to sweep and clean stalls, then I would always get sick. The area I would sweep was very poorly done concrete. It would literally cloud up the air with every brush, causing me to inhale it. Also, the stalls contained dead peat moss (Which is what many people use when planting). When I "banked" the stall to separate the poop and pee from the peat moss, a lot of the smaller particles would fill the air, and I would sometimes inhale them as well. Typically I would get sick for about a week or two after and then be fine. But this last time, I remember inhaling much more of the peat moss than usual.
I don't know much about concrete particles, but the peat moss I do.
Live peat moss can contain a very bad fungus causing sporotrichosis, however decaying peat moss, which is what I was exposed to supposedly supposedly does not. While there are no cases to the contrary, who's to say that it 'never' contains it? Also, peat moss decaying or alive is very acidic, and gets even more acidic depending on how many cations it can absorb.
Would love to know what some people think... who knows... maybe NEITHER caused me to get this condition.
I wish I had an answer fir you.  I have a lot of the same symptoms.  I am 64 and have had horrible dry mouth and throat fir about 5 years and getting worse.  Two biopsies fir Sjorgens were negative.  Now having mucus problems, always trying to clear my throat and can spit out jelly like mucus.  One doctor prescribed an inhale  and nose spray.  Can't use either as it makes the dry throat worse!
Mine feels like it starts behind my left sinus down to the base of my neck.  
Causes me anxiety too as it now bothers me 24/7 with this feeling in my throat.  I use all the Biotene products which do next to nothing.
I too am having dental problems with receding gums.  Dentist gave me, I think it is, Prevident to use daily to help protect my teeth.
I do take low dose Alprazolam (Xanax) just to help some of the anxiety caused by this.
I am going back to Stanford again the end of this month to see an ENT specialist but am not very optimistic.  Feeling this way also makes me feel a little nauseated.
There must be an answer to this!!!
I have been in the Hospital 4 times this year,COPD. Very sick.
And coughing constanly with mucus. Used Nebulizer, Advair,
antibiotics and many things. Then I did a little research for myself,
about when these attacks came on and eliminated many things
first of all strong odors. perfums and aerosole sprays of any kind.
Nuts, even peanut butter had a bad reaction so I stopped that,
and I love nuts, they caught in my throat and I felt like I was strangling,
I avoid milk products as well.. But most of all bottled cold drinks,
including water, I do not know if there is something in the spring
water or that it is just cold, but now  most all of the time I drink tea
or water as hot as I can stand it from the tap, when I am thirsty.
since I have been doing this, in about one week I stopped coughing
up phlem. I also like Ricola natural herb cough drops when ever
I felt a little roughness in my throat.~~ Knock on wood ~!! I am very happy
right now that I am not coughing an hacking.~~!! I hope this works
for others who try it ~! Very best wishes. Keep warm ~!
And Happy Holidays ~~!
Saw the ENT doctor at Stanford last week and can't say that helped much.  He did a scope of my right nostril down my throat then we looked at the video.  I do  have dry mouth and throat but also told him I am having more problems with thick mucus and a feeling of it stuck in my throat.  My voice is also getting raspier.  He showed me that my vocal cords have polyps, well, not exactly polyps but something similar.  He could see the mucus down my throat and feels it is coming from the lung and not the sinus.  I did see a pulmonary doctor a couple of weeks ago who thinks it is chronic bronchitis.  I wish they would make up their minds.  I am just hacking constantly trying to clear my throat and it is miserable.  
So, can't say going all the way over to Stanford helped me.  :-(  
Hi Ya'll,
  caught a cold or virus or bacteria last Dec 2012. Took two antibiotics. The second being a Zpac. Knocked it down,but not out. I am left with the chronic symptoms you are discussing here. Except don't have the stringy thingy. Any way so much speculation. Maybe its the plastics.I drink Ozarka and own a Kureg. Maybe its the drought. I live in central TEXAS and sub on a dusty rural route. Why is the left nostril more blocked?
My situation cycles. I will think I am cured for a day or two(sometimes a week) Then its back. If it rains, I am way better. So, something in the air, irritates. I think it is a nasty shame these Doctors take our money and don't know,or lets face it really care what the heck is happening. They prescribe meds that make other symptoms. For example I took a steriod shot which gave me glaucoma. The first glaucoma drops i was prescribed gave me tinnitus. The doctor said No, when i told him, so I read the pamplet to him,that said "could cause tinnitus"…I use homeopathic remedies, because frankly they work better.And don't give you another illness. I took ALJ for a few years,and that helped better than Zyrtec. But  it quit working, so now I am taking Histablock and that does a nice job. Do take C and D. I use a sinus rinse bottle,which seems to work better than the nettipot. AND I use Lavii,which seems to work good for me.  Just keep trying to thin it. AND help yourself. I mean experiment. We are indivudial.
   Do try one thing at a time,so you don't get confused and think positive.
You must help your body try to rid you of the invasions.
Do cut back on the moldy cheese,and anything that you know might be aged. Get the mold and fungus out and read up on candida. If you think you might have this,and a lot of folks do(do you crave cheese?)get mercury out. It is a bonding agent for yeast. Get those old fillings removed.
And stop eating Tuna and Salmon for a bit. Pay attention to food cravings.
SUGAR, can't resist it? UH oh. DIET is so very important. You may have to stop eating meat (aged) and loaded with additives. Ginger and honey are very good for you as well as garlic. Boy I hate to tell you this,but BACON,better cut it out for a while. SUGAR and SALT cured. and AGED!
  Oh, yeah, I have a new primary physician, who prescribed a nasal spray. I ask him what are the side effects? The first thing he said,"I use this one myself." Ya'll, he sounded worse than me! I ordered it,because it was just $35 for 3 months worth,but I didn't put that up my nose,because It WAS a steroid. I had explained what happened to me and that I did NOT want anything to cause high eye pressure. Guess what? Right on the label it said causes high eye pressure.  EDUCATE yourself. These Docs are not Gods. They are people with bills to pay. More than the rest of us. First thing, CALM down. Stress irratates us. The body will kick in trying to cope with that. Also, know your symptoms. Do not Fail to get medical help if you have a high fever,or suspect something serious. Most of us are just injesting or inhaling things that make our body respond. Vaccum often. If you have dogs, they are giving more dust and spores to you. If they come in, vaccum every day! I made myself and air purifier,because the commercial ones have florescent, lung cancer causing,carbon print crap in them. AND, their filters cost too much. I bought a $16 20x20 box fan and taped a (on sale) heater filter to the front. Since I didn't pay for the heppa filter, I bought a box of 3 pre filters that go on an air purifier and taped one of those on first. I Think I see a very great inprovement. I just move it around the house and run it almost all the time.  CHANGE your car's air filter and cabin filter(if it has one). THey cost me $16 ,but cheaper than the suppliments i take. Think MOLD and dust and get busy helping your body get the irritants out.   GOOD LUCK, and GOD BLESS!
     Doris
I have similar symptoms and am looking for common variables among all of us. what are your dental hygiene habits like ? Personally I feel like excessive cavities have contributed to my symptoms.
Help, I have the same problem. Going on two years now, it's hard to keep a job when you heck up mucus all day long I'm soooo tired!!
Food Allergies - I went on an Elimination Diet and so far have found that I need to eliminate wheat (wheat has been changed over the years) and calcium chloride (found in some canned goods - eg. tomatoes, some canned baked beans, some pickles - look at ingredient list).  Calcium chloride was a huge trigger for me. ( Look for calcium chloride on 'live strong' website.)
Hi,I've got the same problem for about 10 yrs,and I find out what it is.I did a test on my flegm and come out is Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) This cause my rhinosinusitis (I had CT scan)and middle athropy of my brain (frontal).So this is bad news because this bacteria is methicillin resistant and can not be killedl.Thinking is just a chronic sinusitis I tried everything,from salt and bicarbonate sodium,oregano oil,coktail of antibiotics,I tried to strength the immune system,diet with no sugar,no carbohydrate,no gluten,no junk food,but nothing worked.All the nasal spray,peroxide 3% everything you name it, I tried.And now I find the true.But I have some good news for you as well,I find a cure for it,cheap no invasive,is called blue light therapy with blue light led 470nm.Has been research that blue light kill staph infection (MRSA).Get cecked with your doctor,ask for faringian exudat need to take sample of the mucus and if you have staph infection,buy blue light led of 470nm.I will leave here a link to find out what it is and how is work.
http://lighttherapyoptions.com/what-is-blue-light-therapy/mrsa-infection/
I live in UK and did not find the led here ,so I ordered main over the internet from Malaesia.I can't wait to start the therapy.They said the bacteria don't last 2 minutes and is dead with blue light.I want my life back!
For people with just sinusitits without the staph infection they sell nasal devices with red light therapy just check on google.The MRSA gives you food allergy and all the symptoms you have..Good luck and I will keep you updated.
Vera
m havin the same problem since last 3 months and things that have really helped me m elaborating here:-                                                                                                                            1. keep  cinnamon bark ( 5mm*5mm) in the mouth and keep    sucking it for at least half an hour and thereafter chew it.   (5 times a day)              
              2. can have a cup of green tea blended with tulsi three to four times a day while cinnamon in the mouth.
              3. keep yourself hydrated with luke warm water throughout the day.       4. avoid effervescent drinks, smoke and alcohol
              5. hav a tab of pantaprazole and lesupride (lesuride) 15 min. before dinner for a month.
              6. if the weather is cold keep your throat and neck covered with muffler.
               7. do some rigorous physical exercise for 45 min./day
               8. try shifting your focus from the throat region.
               9. avoid dairy products
              10. take steam during night time just before going to bed.(3-4 times a week).

Definitely give up the dairy! Dairy products cause a lot of these phlegm & excess mucus, I notice that when I stop eating dairy it goes away. Also drink lots of water especially if your eat any dairy to help flush it out. Most important thing is to avoid foods  that cause it! look for subsitutes
I have the same problem mine is thick and sticky and I try to get up and can't some times it looks bubbley I have had it for a few months and don't know what to do I even went to a ears nose and throut doctor and he said there was nothing wrong there he put a very small tub down my nose.I just lost my husband to copd and thats what he did so I'm going to look into and see if that could be it I just want answeres to see what this is I get up during the night and try to caugh it up and it just dont.Ieven try to get sick and all that comes up is that thick stuff I have told my stomach that I never bring up food it just phlem.So hope we can get help to see what this is hope you do to if find out I will meeage you again so have a great day
Have the same very scary symptoms.  Over the last six months, sticky goo on the back of my tongue. Mostly white gooey stuff that I scrape off because it makes a bad taste in my mouth. I believe that because I take a ton of drugs due to rheumatoid arthritis .. my liver is not functioning well so my body is trying to expel wastes/toxins. Put sea salt in my mouth, held it for as long as I could stand then rinsed. Helped a lot. This is only a temporary solution.  I'm going to try a cleanse to clear my body of toxins. Bet the mucus goes away after that. Will keep you posted. Might just be the body's way of trying to "clean up".
I don't quite have this problem.  (I'm sick with bronchitis right now, so I think my sticky mucus problem will go away.)  But I have some suggestions that may help some people:  get allergy tests done.  People sometimes don't know that they have sensitivities to some foods.  Common culprits are gluten, cow's milk, and sugar.  I have heard many stories the last few years of people who stopped consuming gluten products and/or milk products, and feel much healthier, lose weight, and have fewer health problems.  I have noticed that I seem to produce more mucus when I eat milk products, wheat-containing foods, and foods with sugar.  I clear my throat a lot after I eat them.  Even if you don't get tested for allergies, try to eliminate one of these foods from your diet.  Stick with it for 3 or more weeks.  You might be surprised at the results.  

Secondly, stress can produce more mucus.  I have noticed this with myself, and I have read about it, too.  If conventional western medicine is not yielding any results, try seeing a counselor.  Practice stress management.  It may help.

Lastly, look at the properties of herbs.  Go see an herbalist.  Visit your food coop.  There are probably other herbs out there besides oregano that can reduce mucus production.  I know that turmeric is an anti-inflammatory.  Put it in your food more often.  See if it helps!  

I hope this helps somebody!  Good luck to everyone out there.  I hope you get some relief.  

I have had this problem for at least 5 years, but i have at least found a way to deal with it most of the time.  I find that the best way to solve the problem short term is to simply stop trying to clear the lumpy feeling.  Sometimes I have to clear it and it always comes back, but if i consciously make an effort not to clear it then within an hour it goes away on its own, sometimes for as long as a few days, sometimes just a few hours. This is harder to do than it sounds because your instinct is to dislodge the lump whenever you feel one.  Make a constant effort to swallow normally and not dislodge the lump and the mucous that is constantky being lodged there will have no place to go but back into your sinus and through the nostrils. It usually takes an hour before i have total relief but it may take others a few hours. Whatever you do when you constantly try to dislodge and swallow it just creates more space for it to continuously keep building up.  Leaving it where it is and swallowing normally minimizes that space so it cant build up and eventually what is there will get swallowed nrmally. It will always come back though but this is the best method ive found to get relief. Usually when i do this i can even feel the lump move upward toward my sinuses before
(cont'd) ... I feel relief. Hope this helps. (sorry for the double post but im typing this on my phone and the keyboard is hard to use.)
Milk products does the same for me, and even causes my eyes to become sticky and blurry....
Wow! Ive been suffering from this clear super sticky stuff for years now. Ive decided to turn to the web to find a cure and I'm super shocked but glad to see that I'm not alone in this! All day long I'm constantly trying to dislodge the stuff from between my nose and throat with weird sounding coughs that some people actually mistake for me sneezing and tell me "bless you". HOW EMBARRASSING IS THAT! I'm never able to get a glob out, only small pieces at a time which irritates me even more. Sometimes when I cough, a piece of it will shoot out of my mouth unexpectedly! I have tried so many things hoping to get some relief such as saline nasal spray, nasal irrigation (Neti-pot), antihistamine pills, warm compresses over my eyes and nose, acid reflux medicines, eye drops, tons and tons of water...you name it, I think I have tried them all! All of the things Ive tried to do don't give me relief that long. I thought I was getting this mucus because I was dehydrated and not drinking enough water, then I thought it was because of my medications I was taking, then because of possible allergies and dry eyes. I have been using Restasis to help me create more tears but only been using it for a couple of weeks which isn't enough time for me to see any changes. I think it takes a couple of months for it to start to work. I'm starting to believe that its all in my head! Maybe if I don't try to clear it out so much it, my nasal passages wont be so irritated causing all this nasal mucus.

Ive also seen from people on here say that Colloidal Silver Nasal Spray works too so I've picked some up from my local Vitamin store last night and so far so good. The irritating feeling to always have to clear my throat has went away a lot! It didn't completely make the phlegm go away but its not bugging me as much. I will see how it goes!
Found a way to clear out the sticky phlegm ball in the back of my throat quickly. Instead of trying to clear my throat, I give a few big coughs over the sink when I first wake up. It can be a little uncomfortable as each cough gets stronger, but after some practice I now get the entire ball out in a couple of coughs, and then don't have to think about it again until the next morning. I keep expecting the cough to hurt my throat, but it actually feels better than trying to clear my throat. This won't resolve the underlying issue, but it at least improves my daily quality of life.
…Make sure to do this first thing in the morning right when you get out of bed. If I don't do it first thing in the morning, it doesn't work.
I have suffered with this awful, glue-like phlegm for years now ( at least 15 years) it is so distressing because you cannot swallow it or bring it up. I found Rhinocort (nasal spray) the only thing that worked for me until I started getting headaches from it as I have a sensitivity to it. So after a few more frustrating years I tried a puff or 2 of ventolin which seems to open up the airways enough to dislodge the mucous. I have all the sympathy in the world for anyone who suffers from this ailment. Good luck, I hope my findings help you . Tracey
Wow I did not know there were so many people with the same condition, I have had this now for three years and yes very stressful on yourself and the family. I had just finished eating some popcorn and felt like a piece of husk was stuck in my throat, very sharp feeling and could not move it, after visiting the ENT Specialist and having the camera down the throat and up the nose he could not find anything except some mucus. So I put up with it for a while, then I went to a lung specialist who said this is caused by asthma, proceeds to put me on a puffer which has had no effect I am still bringing up sticky mucas and sensation of something still lodged in my throat. At times there is blood specks and other times brown or black specks. After reading some of these stories I am under the impression that I may have this condition for a while yet.
Sorry family you are still going to have to put up with my hacking for a while longer.

Hello everyone. After reading this forum and going through all of the responses I think I may have an idea of what is going on. You are right to think that there is something stuck in your throat. I have had the same problem for years and I was just recently (a few hours ago) laying in bed with my head propped up pushing up on the left side of my throat (problem side) trying to force some of the thick white stringy mucus out and I was successful in getting a very large amount of it out, although it came out from my right nostril. So be aware that if the mucus is on a certain side of your throat, it can only come out of the opposite nostril; i.e. left throat, right nostril and vice versa. After making this discovery it made me think about throwing up after drinking a lot of alcohol, and how forceful it can be to actually push food up through your nose. I'm willing to bet that this has happened to alot of you that are suffering with this problem. After thinking of this I got an idea. I have been reading for years about how a neti pot can help people with post nasal drip and mucus and all that and I had tried it, but it never worked for me, so I thought, what if I could recreate that moment of vomiting and food coming out of my nose, except with warm salt water. So I got a cup of warm water, added salt and took a big gulp, enough to fill my whole mouth and then I clutched over the toilet and grabbed the sides, just like I was going to go vomit after partying all night and I heaved (contracting the abdominals), forcing the water out through my nose and guess what? A popcorn kernal and two small white seeds came out (probably cucumber). I'm guessing that there is a crevice in between the roof of your mouth and your nostrils where things that are not digestible can get stuck when you vomit. I know that the popcorn kernel was what was causing the problem because I haven't eaten popcorn in years because I hate when it gets stuck in my throat and teeth. Here's to hoping that some of you find relief by using this method. I feel so much less anxious already.
I have same problem, today I found this :
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-the-Throat-of-Mucus
I hope it will help.
I've also been experiencing the same symptoms for almost a year now. I find that my mouth is excessively salivating and I always feel I have something stuck in the back of my throat. I must spit once every 5 minutes throughout the entire day, just because it feels uncomfortable to swallow all the saliva I've been generating. I've tried NeilMed nasal rinses, antihistamines, mucous and phlegm cough syrups, and antibiotics(amoxillin). Nothing really changed at all...

The issue started out of the blue last Summer, I believe it might have been triggered by some kind of virus or bacteria. I can't imagine how an allergy could randomly appear and just not go away this long; I had been fine the previous 20 years of my life. Drink tons of milk, eat plenty of nuts, never experienced any saliva or mucous problems. It's only been since about a year ago that I've had this nasty onset, and it drives me crazy. All day at work I'm trying to cough up the mucous, and sometimes I'm compelled to stick my finger in the back of my throat and pull it out. Sometimes it's clear and runny, if I've been drinking lots of fluids I suppose... Others, it's thick and white(er). I suppose it's naturally that way, and when mixed with clear liquid it evens out or something.

Either way, I can't imagine living like this for the rest of my life. I've seen 3 doctor's about it, but I suppose it's no good that they don't specialize with sinuses. Their advice was less than helpful and I felt like a fool for seeing them; what they thought was a 'smart' solution for my problem was something obvious I had already tried or read about it not helping for others describing the same symptoms.. Being the anti-biotics, nasal rinses, etc.

Honestly, I'm just learning to live with it for now, but it really drives me crazy... It's like living in a hell. As I've written this I've spit a small cup almost half full already....
All,

I've been suffering with a barking cough for almost 3 years.  I have seen 4 ENT's, 5 pulmonologists, 2 immunologist, had 2 sinus surgeries, been to Mayo Clinic for a week and 3 other hospital systems.  I've had 3 bronchoscopies, PH, GERD & Asthma testing....NOTHING!!! NO one has answers.  Clear thick mucus, coughing, facial pain, many infections - been on every treatment imaginable (as you mentioned).  Being checked for a sinus fungal infection soon, due to the black specs in mucus.

After reading this, I will attempt eliminating dairy, I just purchased pure essential oils and I'll try to vinegar gargle, to see if it helps.  I am a college professor and my chronic cough is embarrassing but the infections are disabling.  

I definitely need a support group as I feel like I am living a hell no one around me understands.   Quite honestly, I think they are tired of hearing me complain, cough and talk about it.  
Hi ,
I read the thread and could not stop myself writing . I have suffered from the same problem from last 10 months . I tried almost all doctors who got done my MRI's , CT Scans , X-Rays , Angiography . I have mucus , thick white mucus stuck at the back of my throat . Also at times the back of my head getting numb , heavy neck and I unable to again develop a zeal to work with my dedication :(
After I tried all Allopathic medicines , I decided to move to Homeopathic & Natural Remedy doctors . To all doctors this is just sinus and they do not seem to completely understand our situation and symptoms ? But I should be honest , even though I still have days when I get troubled , but Natural remedy , rather Ayurveda medicines have given me some relief . Yes its some relief . I am still 60% of where I was .
I liked the theory of Ayurveda , which says that a cure to a problem can only be found if your body starts producing anti bodies for it . And hence while you are taking Ayurveda medicines , you should eat all that troubles you so that body can produce anti bodies to fight against the problem .
I still have 75 more days of medicine to be taken to see if it actually benefits me and brings me out of this situation and I will make sure to discuss the result with all of you .
Some time back I was so depressed that I may be the only person with this problem as no one understood what I tried to explain , however I feel strong and have a feeling that we will all come out of it very soon .
What I am worried about is that after I had this problem , my wife seems to have the same problem now . Is it contagious ? As per doctors NO .
Anyone who had this problem and is 100% in good health today . Please share .
Keep fighting friends . The only way you stand a chance to win would be to FIGHT . Stay connected ....
Lymphatic massage up around the top half of the torso, can help I have found, It's very featherlight massage, when you find the right spots something clicks or crackles in places and the mucous turns runny or just feels like the body re-absorbs it, laborious though. I've had this throat clearing problem since i was 7 years old and very little seems to help, seen so many doctors and specialists about it. We first suspected it was a lactose allergy but I do it every day regardless of whether i have lactose foods. Then asthma... Inhalers help, but not much. Holding in one really big deep breath after clearing seems to calm it down, if you repeat clear and hold a few times. Everything brings it on for me, stress, drinking water, crying, dust. I plan to try some antihistamines, because i suspect that may help. It irritates everyone around me at work, and home. Makes me look unhealthy, unprofessional and exhausts me. My family think it's all in my head, refuse to believe that i will choke, and if i just don't cough it will go away, my recent employer constantly insists i should have some unrelated operation a co-workers wife had and my co-workers urge me to see more doctors who will no doubt dose me up with something new with a nice list of side effects, but hey, as long as other people don't have to hear me coughing, right? I feel your pain.
Hi Koalacoast,

I came to your thread and decided to post back to you because I am an aromatherapist and what you claim regarding Oregano is very factual. This is excellent advice. You can also add a drop of the following essential oils: Rosemary, eucalyptus citriodora and lavender. Make sure you are using therapeutic grade essential oils and a good carrier oil such as Jojoba (1 tsp) that you can use as a massage on the chest and also the bottoms of the feet
Ive had many of these same problems for about 5 years and still have some today. I constantly will wake up with thick hard mucus  and get it throughout the day. While my sinus allergies seem to only accelerate the problem (perfume, cleaners, mostly anything pungent with the exception to some natural smells)  I am frequently still coughing and making weird noises all day. I often have to take Tissue or paper towels everywhere I go in order to deal with constantly coughing up.

While I found that reducing stress, eliminating dairy, nuts, and very sugary foods has helped immensely it still hasn't solved the issue. Years ago I was bounced around from neurologist to neurologist and I never got a full solution. Ive tried breathing treatments, sinus flushes, sinus sprays, drinking excessive water but I cannot get rid of it. It is unfortunate that this is not just a problem I have but I am glad to hear I am not alone in trying to find a solution. This has really put a hit on my quality of life and at 24 people just think I am making it up. Just today it was called out to me as something I always do by someone I know.
My Mom has had a real thick mucous, too. It's so thick she can't even spit it out, she has to wipe off with lots of kleenex or use a tongue scraper. It's the worst at night, which often keeps her awake. I used a diffuser with essential oils last night. She slept all the way through the night! This was a great thing for her.
I've read the post about using oregano. I will order some Young Living oregano essential oil to try on Mom next.
You hit it right on the money when on your recent post you described what I hawked up today for the very first time.It appears to be mucus and I had trouble describing  it and spitting it out. I needed to know from others what the (*&%^$&*is this horribly thick, sticky, gelled and stringy mucus! ?"

Seriously, I am concerned as this is the very first time I expel this type of mucus and am concerned that I will continue to do so. I don't drink alcohol and do not and have never smoked. I don't even have a cold or a flu.

Yes I am concerned. What is it.
I haven't read every post but I am 26 who's had this problem since I was 12, I tried a lot of stuff and none of it's never worked.mine seems to always get worst when iv being in a car or some type of transport, so I wonder if it's any pollution from that. Also when I go on holiday abroad it goes away, at first I thought it was stress related then I relised when I go on holiday thats the longest period of time I stay way from cars. So I think it's Sum sort of allergic reaction from air pollution cuming from the engine or air conditioning.
This is to any and all who are suffering with excess mucus, a terrible taste in the back of the throat (manure or rotten), bad breath, uncomfortable feeling in the throat, hoarseness, wheezing, waking up with "gunk on the back of the throat.  It may be tonsil stones.  The ENT's may say it is GERD or LPR and you can read as much information on the internet as you want and try as many remedies as you want, but I would encourage everyone to PLEASE, PLEASE start with a water pick and get in to the deep crevices in your tonsil's.  It may take a couple days and some bleeding to ensure you have gotten all of the crevices cleaned out.  Be careful and use the lowest pressure tip.  I tried gargling numerous types of liquids to include; apple cider vinegar, peroxide, salt water, pure lemon juice, anti-bacterial mouthwashes. I gargled up a "few" tonsil stones since my symptoms started about three months ago and thought with all of the vigorous gargling that there was no way I still had tonsil stones but yet I still had many of the symptoms I described above and the rotten taste in my throat was driving me insane.  My ENT said I had LPR.  I decided to spend the thirty five bucks on a water pick and cannot explain how many more tonsil stones  broke loose.  I literally hit the "mother load".  I could have gargled the rest of my life, I think and not have broken them loose.  My tonsils may or may not continue to produce tonsil stones but I can honestly say that I have two days under my belt, symptom free and without tonsil stones. One other note, and it is somewhat disgusting, but I want sufferers to know this.  I decided to test the some of the "best practices to eliminate tonsil stones by placing the disgusting stones themselves in capfuls of peroxide, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice.  These liquids did absolutely nothing to break up these stones.  I know this will not help everyone but I truly believe this will help many of you.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.  Good Luck!    
I had a lot of the same issues, and could not find any relief. After extensive research and experimenting with different treatment methods I believe I found answers to some of the symptoms. Due to the grossly over use of antibiotics in all aspects of life, from doctors prescribing them for minor illnesses to animals being treated with a them as a preventive measure. This has ruined the body's natural GI tract balance of good bacteria that keeps yeast and bad bacteria at a low level, and has allowed a yeast overgrowth in the intestines. Since the antibiotics don't singl out only the bad bacteria, your good bacteria is killed off as well. Which the yeast can spread to other parts of the body. For some relief with the throat feeling blocked and bad breath, try eating an organic low sugar yogurts that have the live strains of probiotics. The good bacteria feed on the yeast that I believe is what the stringy mucus. Yeast thrives on simple carbs like sugar, so try to limit or remove from your diet. Also alcohol and breads will make the symptoms worse. A good Probiotic, and Probiotic enzyme daily supplement regime should make you better over time depending on how bad the yeast has spread. Once you get your good quality Probiotic supplements you can take the capsules or tablets and crush or empty capsules in a glass and add a few ounces of water. Then pour into your mouth and swish around, gargle and then swallow right before bed. Do not drink anything else or rinse or brush your teeth after. You want the residual probiotics to remain in the mouth and throat. Also you can take the same mixture and put in a nasal spray bottle and use as a nasal decongestant. It actually works very well. Then hopefully if you avoid gluten and other things that the yeast thrive on, the balance will return. If possible avoid using antibacterial soaps, and foods that were treated with antibiotics as that is what most likely where the problems began. Good luck and be well.