Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Think I have throat cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Think I have throat cancer

Hi all,

Thanks for reading. So it all started say 2 weeks ago where when I swallowed it there was a slight feeling of discomfort just below my jaw on my right hand side. Around where the glands are in that area. I took a few strepsils and it cleared up within a day. Then the following week the same thing happened again only the point at which it felt uncomfortable when swallowing was in a different area, the back of the throat and more centrally located. Id say it's a few inches below where I could see if I looked at the back of my throat in a mirror.

Today I looked in the mirror with a torch and right at the back of the throat (pharynx area) there seems to be 1 or 2 yellowish lumps or some type of growth. I can see 2 and the biggest one is maybe around half an inch big. It's not especially big but looks inflammed. As I said the pain itself now seems to be from lower down so im not sure if this is related? I've never noticed these before so I'm now really worried it could be throat cancer. I actually think i've gone into a slight state of depression since this first started happening and can't think of anything else. I'm going to go see my GP next week but I thought it might ask around here first.

About me, I'm 28, in generally good health (borderline overweight, 6ft 175lbs) and am a vegetarian. I smoked on/off for maybe 5 years but don't any more. When I say on/off I mean I might have a few on a night out every couple of weeks but am not a regular smoker as in every day ect...

I've not had this issue before. The only thing I can think of remotely related is I had a case of swollen glands around 4 years ago. I took some antibiotics for that it it cleared right up. I don't understand why the feeling of discomfort moved, and if this is related to the lumps i've noticed in the back of my throat.

Based on what i've told you so far does this sound like cancer, or perhaps some other throat infection?

Thanks for reading

John
btw when I take a strepsil tab the discomfort goes away.....

Not sure is this a strep throat or something more sinister?