Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Throat Issue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Throat Issue

This has been going on for quite a long time I think, good few years. Every so often I get this pretty uncomfortable ache like pain just above my adams apple.

It seems like a sore throat but its not inside the throat (trachea) or affecting swallowing, eating, drinking etc....It seems to be just above the adams apple, I believe the area/s may be either the median thyrohyoid ligament or maybe the hyoid bone?

Unsure, but from looking at pictures these are the problem areas I'm guessing. Its very odd, as though the area is very sore for some reason, lasts a few days then goes, might get it again months later, maybe. It seems like the pain is on top of the hyoid bone.

If I push on the area just above the adams apple its sore on the inside, no visible problems on the outside, no lumps or bumps etc...just sore.

Any ideas? thank you.
I will add that the pain seems to be at the front of the hyoid bone area, not to either side, just the front, but no swelling or lumps or anything visible.

I have not ever had any problems breathing either, no side affects or anything ever, just this odd aching pain.
I have the same exact pain that you are talking about.  It happens on and off for three or four days at a time then goes away.  It really freaks me out!  Did you ever find out what your problem was?  I have looked around on the internet and the only thing I can find is maybe it's like a precursor to acute epiglottitis, which is life threatening.  Please let me know if you have found anything out!  It scares me and I dont really know what to do about it.