Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Throat Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Throat Pain

I have been getting sore throats quite frequently recently, and always lose my voice.  I am 71 years old, so it could be age related.  I have been without a voice this time for 5 days, and my throat is very sore.
  • lumpy (1 replies):
    ear, nose and throat dr. told me i had a elevated vein i...[more]
  • ms (1 replies):
    i keep getting these like water blisters at the back of ...[more]
  • pain (1 replies):
    i have pain from the top of my head to the bottom of my ...[more]
  • Is my quinsy going to come back? (3 replies):
    I had tonsilitus a while back which I has antibiotics fo...[more]
  • Migraine? (1 replies):
    I have a strong headache, yes i feel as if my ears are c...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your concern. But these viruses over time adapt, that means they develop new strains to fight the medications and immune mechanisms to survive. It’s unlikely that you may catch the same ‘bug’ again. These ‘bugs’ keep changing themselves often in order to survive. These ‘changed bugs’ can cause an infection again. Besides there are other thousands of bugs around which can cause infection. The best bet would be improving one’s immunity. You can do this by consuming plenty of fruits and vegetables, eating a well balanced diet, maintaining an ideal body weight, exercising regularly and by leading a stress free life.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi, My sore throat has been around for a couple of weeks now.  I have rested and consumed fruit and veg and taken vitamin supplement.  My mouth and throat hurt and I have a dry cough.  

I keep going, but am not feeling at all well. I have done what you recommend, and shall continue to do so.  Every year I seem to "catch" a throat bug quite a few times.  

Thanks you for your reply.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If your symptoms are worsening or if you develop a fever, or if there is enlargement of the tonsils with pain or if there is white coating on the tonsils, you will need to consult your primary care physician for a strep test, which if positive you will be given antibiotics. Take plenty of warm oral fluids and lots of rest. For further relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt water gargles and stream inhalations. Please ensure to do this prior to your meals.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your help