Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Throat Tightness and White Chunks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Throat Tightness and White Chunks

I have had these white, stinky, bad breath chunks come up at random times for several years now, maybe started in my teens.  For the past couple of years I will get a tightness in my throat from behind my collar bone to the middle of my throat.  When I drink something really cold I can cough up some big, nasty, smelly, white chunks that are just a ball of bad breath.  That's the best way I can describe them.  When I cough one up or it comes up on it's own at random times, my throat will feel much better and the tightness goes away.    Can anyone tell me what these are or how I can get rid of them or prevent them?
Sounds to me like tonsil stones?
Sounds like tonsil stones.  The ONLY way to get rid of them for good is to have your tonsils removed, which in your case I wouldn't recommend because you are not having them consistently.  

You can try to reduce the frequency and the amount by adjusting your diet, paying close attention to your oral hygiene, not smoking, etc.  Just goggle recommendations for tonsil stones.