Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Throat mucus, coughing, voice issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Throat mucus, coughing, voice issues

I know this topic has been addressed a million times but I figure once more can't hurt.  I could really use some suggestions.  I'm a 26 year old non smoking male and I'm in constant battle with my throat and voice.  I have persistent mucus in my throat which causes continual throat clearing and/or coughing.  While a lot of people say it is the worst at night I usually have no symptoms at night nor in the morning.  Sometime around 11am or 12pm it will begin, usually after eating.  When I wake up my voice is hoarse/raspy sometimes.  The problem usually is at it's worst after eating a big meal like dinner.  Some days are worse than others, but it is always there to some degree.  Now, when my throat isn't covered in mucus and I'm not coughing and clearing my voice still is not normal.  Sometimes during the day it feels hoarse, other times it feels weak, and most of the time it feels "muddled" or "cloudy" for lack of a better term.  Like I can't speak clearly.  And then there are rare times when I have no issues with the throat clearing or voice.

Things I've tried:
-- Drinking tons of water
-- Elimination of caffeine.  I stopped drinking pop years ago but I always had a bunch of coffee in the morning.  I switched to decaf.
-- Nasal wash.  The bottle that you put warm water in with a saline packet and squirt it in your nose.
-- I read a lot about LPR and thought that was it so I started taking omeprazole.  2 doses each morning.
-- I also tried an antihistamine although I don't remember which one.
-- Raising the front of my bed, not eating before bed, no spicy foods, I consume very little dairy products.

Any suggestions on what else I can try I'd love to hear.  I want very badly to see an ENT doctor but I am unemployed currently and do not have insurance.

Thanks for reading.
I posted several days ago regarding my husband. Your symptoms are very similar to his.
He has alot of mucus in the back of his throat which makes swallowing feel wierd, his voice is distorted, he says sometimes he bites his tongue when he talks, he had a ringing in his ear a month ago but that went away. He also has a tightness in his jaw. He went to our primary doctor who couldn't find anything wrong. He has an appointment with my ENT next Thursday. Last night he told me he's convinced he has a throat growth and is fearful of cancer. He used to smoke cigars occasionally. He drinks alot of wine. Now I'm a nervous wreck about this, but I'm trying to make light of it. Do you have any of the other symptoms he has? This all started in January -5 months ago.
I'm hoping someone will have info on what this could be other than cancer.
Belladonna
Hello, I do not really have any of the extra symptoms you posted.  I hope everything works out for you guys.  I'll see if I can find your other post but please let me know what the ENT doctor says.  
My other post is under "Wife". Yesterday I read something that put my mind at ease. I read that drainage can back up into the Eustacian tube behind the ear causing pressure to build up in the TMJ - thus creating swelling of the joint (pain in the jaw).
Many posts recommend a coronal Ct which checks for fluid/infection of the sinuses or mastoid cells. Mastoid cells can get inflammed or infected and you my need antibiotics. If overlooked, it can become serious and affect the jaw along with the nerve to the ear.
So... there are other possible causes besides the big C!! Also even a small benign polyp can cause bad inflammation and nerve compression. I will post to you once he goes to the doctor next Thursday. Good Luck!
Belladonna57