Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Throat virus, not strep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Throat virus, not strep

Hello, first post here, and I have a concern about my throat.  About three weeks ago I noticed my throat was very inflamed, looked very mangled, with my lymphnodes extremeley swollen.  I went to the doctors immediatley, and he did the throat culture AND blood work, tested negative for mono.  He gives me antibiotics for strep, I take the whole series, and think I am ok, but did not check to see if it was gone until I felt it again 3 days later.  He gave me another antiobiotic, which did not show improvement, so I got more blood work done + another visit.  He determines it is a "throat virus" and I should get lots of rest, with no real treatment.

Ok, so I have been "getting lots of rest" for about two weeks now, and growing quite impatient.  I am very fatigued, even with about 12 hours of sleep a day (was on spring break).  Now I am returning to school/ hectic schedule and will only be getting about 6.  I have made the decision to continue excercising, mainly weight training, and decided to axe the running as a compromise.  I do not seem to be getting any better, as I looked into my throat again, and now there are a cluster of bumps on the back of my throat that were not there a few days ago.  Is it getting worse, or what do I do??  Should I just tough it out and let it run its course?  It has been a week and no signs of improvement at all.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, and also treatments or remedies for treating this "throat virus".

Thanks!!
Tags: virus, Cancer
hmmm...sounds like rest, lots of fluids and tylenol or motrin until you are feeling better. If you do too much too soon, you can have a relapse of your condition. best of luck to you.
I just want to say with a username like crankdog, I hope your not a crack user:) But it sounds like we have had the same problem. Mine lasted for approx. 2 months. I guess I waited too late to go to the ER because by the time I went they said everything was fine. They gave me a z-pack and I felt better for about a week. Then I started to belch acid really bad and my throat felt raw. I assumed it was acid reflux. Well then it became very inflammed, blood vessels showing and I had white spots on a red base that would come off when I ate. I had them everywhere but my tonsils so I went back to the ER, they didn't test for strep but tested for thrush which came back NEG. The P.A said she thinks I have Coxsackie virus which is a childrens disease but adults can get it too. I didn't believe her until I saw photos of it. It is supposed to run its course in a week or so and it has been a little more than a week and it is almost gone. I also noticed I didnt get sick until my friend started to bring her 2 small children over. Look through some photos of it on google, maybe you can pinpoint it.
edit:

just got the z pack.  doc thinks is bacterial... we will see how this works.
Thankyou I appreciate the feedback.

My throat has been in the same condition for about 3 weeks.  Just in the past 3 or 4 days, bumps appeard on the back and the mess is starting to go DOWN my throat, a huge cause for concern so I am going to the doctors once again tomorrow.  Maybe I should take a pic and post it here??  From what I have googled, this picture has been the closest to what my throat currently looks like.

http://img.search.com/thumb/e/e3/Tonsilitis.jpg/302px-Tonsilitis.jpg

The thing is, i FEEL normal and perfectly fine, with the exception of being generally tired, all day long.  But when I look down my throat, i Freak out because it is the gnarliest looking thing i have ever had.  If it is a virus and runs its course, its course seems to be heading down my throat which i am very concerned about.  Thanks again, any info would be helpful