Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Thumping Sound in Ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Thumping Sound in Ear

I've just started having this weird thumping sound in my ear.  Just to describe it...

(1) It is a muted sound, much like when you pop your ear to try to equalize the pressure, but not as loud.  

(2) It is irregular, as in it doesn't follow my hearbeat in any way... but it is happening 14-15 times every minute.

(3) It does have a feeling to it... as in, when you hear a noise, it doesn't feel like something physical is happening to you... this feels something like pressure being relieved from the ear...

Anyone have a clue?
Tags: muscles
I've had that, on occasion, for my entire life.  I don't know what it is, but I will say that in 34 years it has never harmed me or affected my hearing.  It's seemed so harmless that I've actually forgotten to ask ENT's about it when I have exams.  I've had full hearing/ear tests (for other reasons) and everything checks out perfect.

I consider it kind of an inner-ear twitch. Sometimes, it has happened for a few minutes directly with sounds, like each word of someone talking.
Mine has lasted a little over 12 hours now... did it tend to last that long, or was it for just a few minutes?  If it is indeed the same as what you have... and something that is recurring, but only temporary, that is a huge relief.
I honestly don't remember if I've had it for that long of a period of time because it's always been such an occasional "part of me" that I really haven't paid much attention.

I was also thinking that perhaps you have some lodged in earwax deep down inside.  I don't think a quick check into your ears by even a regular doctor to start with would hurt.
I have the same problem and have search the web. Here is what I have found. Your problem is do to a monoclonus ( a rhythmic contraction and relaxation of a muscle) of one of the small muscles attached to your middle ear bones OR caused by a monoclonus of the muscles of the soft palate. Some people have it so bad that the ent has to go into the middle ear and cut the small muscles. Go to an ent and see what he(she) says.
I have this same problem an its really getting on my nerves I see my GP on Fridaynot sure what it is.
Okay, mine is getting worse.  Used to come and go, now the thumping sound comes and stays for many hours.  Lately, when comes the thumping lasts longer each time.

Really drives me nuts.  At least when near my PC, can put on ear phones and turn volume of sound up.  Helps drown out thumping sound. Of course everything else is downed out as well.  So not a solution if want to work or have normal life stuff.

Doctor prescribe Butalbital, worked for a while, now doesn't work anymore.

Then tried Cyclobenzaphrine HCL, same thing worked for a while, now doesn't.

Now thumping goes on for many hours, then goes away, only to come back again.

Anomaly is now becoming a trend.  May end up having the muscles in the ear cut to stop the spasms.

Really becoming psychological barrier, really driving me nuts.

At least tinnitus is consistent buzzing sound, and is always "on," and I can cope with that.  The thumping is intermittent and I cannot cope with it, end up banging side of ear/head with palm, surely doesn't help anything, do so from frustration with this damnable ear ****.

J
i cant stand it is so rapid! it driving me insane literaly!
should i see a doctor to stop it if it dosent stop in the morning.
i have had this thumping in my ears for over 2 years now.  It is constant, 24 hours a day and keeps me up at night.  I have been to many doctors, the ENT, Cardioologist, GP and no one seems to know what is causing it.  I am at my wits ends.
I have the same problem.  It does not have any rhyme or reason to it.  I have put the problem together when my blood pressure is higher than normal.  When I am relaxed I do not seem to have the problem.  

I have played in rock bands for 20+ years so i am thinking this may have something to do with it also.  To the poster above, I would not recommend putting your headphones on and turning up the music.  headphones cause so many cases of hear loss each year.  There is no where for the frequencies to escape when your ears are covered up vs. listening to normal shelf, desktop or floor speakers.
Mine just started today it is verry irritating!!!!!!!!! god help us all
I just started having this thump in my right ear, especially when I walk or move certain ways I get a thump. Almost like someone is snapping a rubber band. I started getting ringing in both ears after taking a strong antibiotic several years ago. Of course the GP thought I was crazy when I explained what was going on.  So now I have ringing and now a thump in the right ear. What else!!  
Mine was very random and now its very often!!!!! Its so annoying, I'm going to get it checked out soon if it doesn't stop.
I have been having the thumping for about two years now.  The first time I went to the doctor she stated that I had fluid in my ears and it was probably related to my allergies.   The second time I went there was no fluid.   Tonight I was playing the piano and noticed something.  The thumping only happened when I played the lower notes.  The C note in particular seemed to cause the most thumping.  They higher notes did nothing.  I also notice that the the thumping happens more when I am in the tub with the fan going which causing a low whiring sound.  Seems to be related to different sound vibrations.
My 13 year old daughter has had earache for 6 days , very sore with constant banging. She is very distressed , crying on and of, no up and go. She has been on anti-biotics for 5 days and we seem to be getting no where. Has anyone got any suggestions?
I had the banging in my ear and sounded like my heartbeat. It used to come after exercise and swimming/showering. It became unbearable so i went to my GP, he said it was just a layer of mucus layering the eardrum and he couldn['t do anything for it. Apparently it should go after a few days but it didn't. If you get it, sudafed seems to stop it for the rest of the day
I had my first three sounds today.
I have had this thumping, also sounding just like a heartbeat, for about a year and only in my right ear.  I have thought that maybe it was related to the build up of wax and the constant use of a stethoscope at work which pushes the wax back into the ear canal.  However, the pulsation is only on one side and I can not pinpoint what exactly brings it on as it's totally random, with anywhere from one pulsation to five or six in a row.  The "monoclonus" explanation posted above sounds interesting, so I'll have to research it.
I've been noticing this for a while myself. I am sure it's been over a year.  It doesn't feel full. But, I can feel something in my ear. It feels to me like the hammers in the inner ear are pulsing. I often hear it during certain conversations. Often when I am listening to some kind of dialog from the computer. I haven't determined if it happens during certain pitches of sound. I've tried ear candling and I use q-tips and keep my ears clean and dry. I am not sure whether the ear candling has had any results.  I don't usually have much ear wax in general, just occasional flakes. It only happens on my left side. It's annoying, and there doesn't seem to be any way to change it. I do energy work, so, if I can discover any relief from this, I'll post it here. One of my metaphysical friends whom I've had consistent results with said that my "psychic channels were opening up" I know that may sound weird to some, but I am looking at all the options for relief! It is annoying and I am grateful that it doesn't happen constantly.

I've just started getting spasms of some kind in my left ear. They tend to come in 4s with the last being softer every minute or so. It's not so much a sound though, but a physical feeling, a bit like if you were to shake a duvet before laying it on the bed. Could this be stress or something, a bit like when you have an eyelid flutter?
well i just started this too about 3 days ago and wow theres a lot of other poeple who have it too.  its so wierd it comes in 3-5's, and it comes and goes.  started only a couple times the first day then maybe once an hour and now its like 10 times an hour i think.  and it sounds like a lot of you are going to the dr but no one is getting anywhere...kinda discouraging. to sum everyones answers up it could be from high blood pressure or stress...and it sounds like its here to stay.  That is unless i have  the muscle cut..yikes!! well im going to wait it out and see what happens if anyone wants to see how i am in the future feel free to email me at ***@**** or even for any other feedback at what might be causing this...thank you !!
well it blocked me out. please e mail me at emaildestany at yahoo *******..thanks again
I had the same thing for many years.  I finally went to the doctor and found out that it was a Glomus tympanicum tumor (red mass in bottom of middle ear) ...It is a slow growing tumor and was very small, however was about to drive me crazy.  At first one doctor thought it was an ear infection and another doctor did not see it by simply looking into my ear with his tools he had to use more powerful scope and that is when he saw it was a Glomus tympanicum tumor (red mass in bottom of middle ear) ...
However, I had already researched the internet and told him what it was myself.  
I have had a banging in my left ear for almost three years now. I first noticed it when I was lying on my left side and my ear was making a banging noise (which I could also feel) in time with some birds twittering outside. I only get this sensation when I am lying on my left side or sitting with my head tilted left and there are particular sounds to trigger it. These are sounds of a particular pitch: certain birds twittering, the clock ticking (as the second hand moves loudly up the face, not down), computer keyboard clicking, playstation handcontrol clicking, dogs nails clicking on the lino, paper rustling. It sounds crazy but the banging is in time to these sounds. I did see an ENT. He was quite puzzled but thought it might be a safety mechanism that the ear usually has for loud noises that was malfunctioning. I do need to go and see the ENT again as I think it has got worse.
I've also had this thumping in both ears for about ten years now. It comes and goes. Some days its very bad and other days not so bad. Its almost always there when I wake up in the middle of the night. It generally only starts in the late afternoon early evening. Like eyevan I also get it when playing certain notes on a musical instrument, in my case the guitar. My voice vibrating in my head will often set it off.  I know this sounds weird but about 90% of the time I can stop it if I let it run for about an hour and then go for a brisk walk stopping dead in my tracks very 20 metres or so until it stops!! (I told you it sounded weird!). If Van Gogh had this I understand why he cut his ear off!
I should add that like most of the postings here, I have been to see doctors and ENT specialists but none of them had heard of the problem and kept referring to it as tinnitus, but its definitely not that. I also have high blood pressure but that is medicinally controlled and I can't make a connection between my blood pressure and the thumping. To me the most logical explanation is the one about the spasm of the muscles in the middle ear, a bit like an eye twitch.
I have had this problem for well over 20 years, it started with telephones.
If I use the hands free and dial, the ringing tones make my right ear thump like a change in altitude. I went to the ENT and had my hearing tested and they found nothing.
This week I purchased an electronic keyboard piano and when I play certain notes it causes the thumping. The odd thing is if I hold the phone to my ear or use headphones for the piano it does not happen. To me it seems to be if the multiplexed sound comes from about 2 to 3 feet away it causes the thumping, almost like a knee jerk reaction. As an analogy you can hit your knee all over until you hit that certain point then your leg jerks.
My ear thumping seems to be that way. I can hear all kinds of sound but certain harmonized notes from just the right distance seems to create that echo in my ear that causes it to jerk /thump. So I suggest you try this. Play a bunch of notes until you get the right combination. Repeat the experiment to make sure you have it right. Then let your ENT in on this tidbit of info, maybe it will help him diagnose the problem.
Ylfmathotmaildotcom - Marcel

It seems to only occur in my right ear when there is a low pressure system or weather moving into the area.  I only realized this after moving to Arizona from Illinois.  In Illinois is constantly rains and there is storm system after storm system.  In Arizona this only happens on occasion.  And I noticed on the occasion when low pressure weather systems are coming through the area my right ear goes thumping, thudding, etc..  its annoying

Now, that doesnt explain why its only my right ear and why its been happening for only the past 5 years.  I think it might have been from some ear damage i received while playing in a band.  but who knows.  i live with it.  thankfully the skies are usually sunny and clear in Arizona!!  
This happened to me for the first time this morning. Very annoying, as previous posters said. After I ate some almonds I had for a snack, I noticed that the sound is gone. Maybe the jaw crunching had some effect? Good luck.
I have had this for about 9 months now and its bloody annoying. Its predomentially in my right ear but if im really lucky i get it in both ears at the same time!!! I went to the ENT doc last week and she just asked me if i were on drugs?! She then told me that it was probably tinnitus and to monitor it! I can spark it off by yawning hard or if i drink beer so im assuming its raised blood pressure that causes a muscle spasm in the ear. I can feel it like most others on here like a pressure and it seems to be getting louder. The thumping can last from anywhere from a couple of minutes to about 12 hours. I am keeping a diary of it now and have another appointment with the ENT in 6 months, hopefully i will get something sorted, fingers crossed.
I have had the thumping in my left ear since i can remember. i remember that the passing trains would set it off and over time i realized that most low pitch sounds would cause the thumping. It does not really bother me because i have always had it but i am more then curious why it happens. every doctor that i have asked all say its allergies but that is not the case.

the only thing i could find out is that the ear canal could be too narrow and the low frequency noise causes the canal to slap open and close causing the thumping sound.

Good luck to all
I have the same thumping noise.
Here's what I do. I read about this a while back.
2 drops of olive oil in the ear each night for 3 nights the thumping stopped.It has been 2 months with no pounding but has just started up again.I will continue the drops again to see if this is a remedy.
Can't hurt.Good luck.
I had this for the first time last night and I had a really bad night's sleep. Forgot all about it until about 10 minutes ago.  It is SO loud in my left ear.  there is no rhythm to it and it is already driving me mad. It doesn't sound like there is a quick fix for it either. Let's hope it is short lived as I am naturally left handed and it is affecting my dominant side.  I think I could live with it if it was on my right.
sounds like an irregular heartbeat - but doesn't match my heartbeat. Thought it was a nervous bug living in there...but I kind of doubt it. After reading some posts, the twitch posts seem logical and another post mentioned experiencing it after a couple of beers. Same here, maybe change in blood pressure causes a twitch - either way I'll have my primary care guy take a look.
I have the same problem, it started a week ago.  If you are like me and when you put your finger in your ear it stops, well try this, use ear plugs, the ones that you squish and then they expand. I  wear it for about an hour and the thumping goes away.  I'm thinking if I keep the thumping away it could get lazy and never come back.

Well give it try, I hope it works for you.

Aplus
I have had tinnitus in my left ear for 15 years, which I have learnt to live with. It is a constant high pitched ring, that gets louder if I have red wine, dark chocolate, too much arificial sweetener or excessive caffine. A few weeks ago, I developed a banging metallic sound in the same ear. The ENT specialist said that it was very rare for tinnitus to change after having is for so long. Upon examination, he found that the ear drum was not moving and concluded that I had an eustacian tube deficiency. He put me on a course of antibotics, a steroid nasal spray and antihistamine tablets. After one week, he said that the drum was moving slightly but I was still hearing the bang-bang sound. The next week, the drum began moving more normally and the banging sound began diminishing. It is now almost gone and even the tinnitus sounds less frustrating. So, if you are hearing that awful banging sound, you have a problem with your eardum, probably due to a bad cold, which can be cured by visiting an ENT specialist.
I have also experienced this thumping sound in my ear. It'll start and then stop off and on randomly. It only happens in my left ear and it started last night. I slept uninterrupted throughtout the night. But once I woke up this morning, it continued. It's very rapid thumping sounds and random like there is no pattern to it. It will start thumping for a couple of seconds and then stop. and maybe 5 minutes will go by and start thumping for a couple of seconds again and then stop again. I haven't done anything to trigger it, it was random when it happened. It's really starting to annoy me.
A week and a half ago, I became aware of a thumping noise in my ear.  Description:  Sounded like large drips of water falling on a bongo drum.  I also had a feeling of pressure in my ear at the same time, similar to your ear closing as you drive up a mountain road, swallow, wait for a click and its all over. These ear noises were intermittent at first, 3 half-hour bouts per day.  

The bongo drum effect has increased to 1 half-hour bout round the clock last week. Preceding this problem, occasional high-pitched sounds off and on lasting 2-3 seconds were noticed once every 2 weeks. Additionally, fluttering sounds in the effected ear were noticed maybe 3 times a month. Then the bongo drum began. I intend to see my doc about it, but just wanted everyone to know that they are not alone in this annoying problem. In the meantime, I intend to try Benedryl to see if it relieves it.  A doctor friend at one time offered advice on ears closing over in jet aircraft.  He said to take a Benedryl an hour before take-off.  It works!  
I have the thumping sound when you tink a spoon against a cereal bowl, or stir your coffee with a spoon, and there is a annoying bird with a high pitched crying noise that really gets my ear thumping.  I only get it with that certain high pitch noise.
The thumping in my ears is similar to that of "Anklebroken" at the top of this discussion.  It began about 15 years ago.  Originally, it only occurred when I went to bed at night and only for a few days (around the time of my menstruation each month).  My ENT thought it occurred because of fluid retention and said it was cochlear hydrops.  I took dyazide (aka "fluid pills") but it didn't help a lot.  I thought when I went through menopause the pounding would stop, but it has not.  It's worse, in fact.  The sound in somewhat like my heart beating in my ears, but it is a "thu-THUMP" sound that repeats anywhere from 15 times to 24 times per minute.  Sometimes the sound is faint, other times VERY loud (and I can't sleep).  It generally starts faintly and then increases for several days, then suddenly stops.  I have no symptoms for several weeks, then it starts again.  I have noticed that it starts when the moon begins to get "full".  I have a sensation of fullness in the ears when the "thu-THUMPING" starts and it is bilateral (in both ears).

While it used to start only when I was lying down at night, it now occurs during the day (usually late in the afternoon around 4 pm) when I am sitting up.  If I move around and get distracted, it goes away only to return around 9 to 10 pm and continue until the next morning.  It occurs so sporadically, that I have not been able to have an ENT examine me when the symptoms are occurring.  The best luck I have had with medication is to take Xanax at night, Advil Cold and Sinus in the AM, and extra dyazide pills.  That calms it down until the moon goes on the wane.  I know this sounds completely crazy, but it is happening exactly as I describe it.  It drives me crazy when it is at its worse.

The surgeries I have read about are not guaranteed to work and I am afraid they would cause more problems.  I live in the Washington, DC, area.  If anyone has found a sympathetic ENT I would love to know who it is.
My mother is hearing the same thing as what is being described by others. Here are what I have hear.  It can be related from a history of high blood pressure. Clogged artery or even a tumor that has developed near the ear or brain that can cause this problem. Or a monoclonus problem. Or an eardrum problem. Have a specialist check these off.
This started happening' to me a few days ago I'm 16 and this is reallyyyyy annoying! it only occurs in my left ear and seems to be on the bottom of the inner ear. i don't have a clue why it started happening i think its a muscle spasm or something alike, anyway i intend to see the doctor in 4 days and hopefully he will have a solution! i read some of the posts above reading you have lived with it for 10 years + !!! i could never do that if i dont have it resolved soon im gonna go insane! I'm gonna mention snipping the muscle to the doctor like mentioned above im prepared to go to any length to stop the twitching.
I've that the thumping for 6 years now and am going nuts.  does the cutting of the muscle cause any hearing problems
I am so ready to get this thing fixed. The sound makes me so crabby with everyone and I feel like I am going crazy.
I think what u have is called pulsatile tinnitus where the thumping is sometimes in rhythm with ur heartbeat. This may be caused by ear infection such as fungus growth from damp ears after shower or using cotton buds to clean ur ears- that's a no no I found out the hard way. See an ENT and all the best to ya!
I have the thumping in my left ear only.  It's drives me crazy as well.  I have Low Blood Pressure so that nullifies the High Blood Pressure Theory.
I've had the ear thumping in my left ear only.  Pulsates irregularly.  I have Low Blood Pressure so I feel that negates the High Blood Pressure Theory.  Is this permanent or a temporary issue?  What can I take medication wise or do to stop this thumping?  Suggestions.  Driving me crazy too.
I want answers. I am 15 years old and I randomly got this same thing 3 days ago. Today I went insane, started banging my head against a wall. It's not painful but I NEED it to stop. It's a thumping in my right ear, has no pattern to it, and it feels like its popping slightly. is it maybe a nervous twitch? Or a muscle spasm? I want to know!
Same thing has happened to me (began on Friday night).  Based on what I've read, it's a muscle spasm.  What has brought me relief is saturating a cotton ball in Isopropyl alcohol and placing it in my ear (obviously, not jamming it all the way in).  Even though I'm blocking off some of my hearing when I have the cottonball in, it's far better than that ridiculous thumping - I get no thump/flutter at all.  It's especially great overnight.  When I take it out, the thumping does eventually return, but it's getting lighter and lighter.  I am hoping that it will be gone by tomorrow.  I'll let you know.
I have noticed that when im on my cell phone for long periods of time, the next couple of hours i will be annoyed by the thumping sound of my inner ear muscle. Im no doctor but when your using your ear muscles which we involunteerly do for long periods of time with trying to hear someone on a phone it becomes a strain on the ear and with any muscle in the body if you over use it there will be some kind of effect.Just like if you play your music very lloudly then all of assuden put it on low and try to hear it ...you are straining your ear muscles. If you want to put this to the test and respond tell me what you think
Oh my heck, this thumping is making me crazy! Had it about a week now. My brother said it may have to do with my pulse but it is so random. It happens off and on throughout the day weather active or at rest. I read a post on another site that said to blow cigarette smoke into your ear canal and plug it with a cotton ball or ear plug. Apparently the nicotine is a muscle relaxer and it will make that ear muscle calm down. I'm not a smoker but I know someone who is so maybe I will ask them for help. It also shouldn't be smoke that has been inhaled because it has less nicotine in it. I will try it and post back.
i have had this twice so far, but only when i'm eating something with a foil wrapper, the high pitched sound it makes is what seems to trigger the thumping, a particular note, like a preivous poster mentioned, makes it thump and everytime i hear it, it thumps. the cotton ball might be helping because it drowns out the note that triggers the sensation. for people really suffering, maybe try earplugs? or changing the noises in your environment? it could be that you are just hearing a particular note constantly that is causing the thumping. if the cotton ball makes the thumping less intense, perhaps it is a muscle spasm in the eardrum triggered by a particular note, and drowning out the sound lets the ear rest, which helps the spasms start to go away? hth
I have been having this problem as well, it first felt like a fluttering in my ear, and did not happen very often, now it is almost everyday, and sometimes can go on for hours at a time, and now when I wake up in the morning it starts before I even get out of bed with no noise around. Been to the ENT who said he had heard of this before, but had no answer, except thought it was stress related. It is very annoying, especially when it feels like a staccato effect. Sometimes it is just one ear, other times both ears. No rhyme no reason. I thought I was alone in this, but after reading all the posts, am glad I am not alone. Hope we get an answer some day.

Pulsatile tinnitus may just be regarded as an ordinary form of tinnitus, save for the humming or ringing sound. This type of tinnitus is distinguished by a thumping sound in ears similar to that of a beating heart. It may be more bearable and less irritating compared to the usual ringing sound of having tinnitus, but mind you, pulsatile tinnitus is a bit more dangerous because it involves the flow of blood to and fro the head.
As previously mentioned, the thumping sound one may hear is in rhythm with the person's heartbeat. Don't be surprised because pulsatile tinnitus is associated with blood flow related disorders. Also, unlike the common tinnitus, the sound in the ears may possibly be noticed by another individual.
In addition, do not regard the pulsating sound in your ears as something natural for it's not. Bear this in mind, such condition calls for medical attention. Out of 30 people with tinnitus, one of them is suffering from pulsatile tinnitus. And akin to the typical tinnitus, the pulsatile type has no direct cure yet. Medical professionals treat the underlying causes instead, along with prescribed drugs to alleviate the symptoms.
Naturally, a series of tests have to be conducted for a medical practitioner to distinguish the cause of the problem. Often, an X-ray provides a visible answer. If an X-ray shows nothing, a magnetic resonance imaging or MRI is conducted. It is important for a patient to tell the doctor how and when the symptoms first took place. This is vital so that the attending physician can thoroughly order the crucial tests to be done, so as not to leave any stone unturned.
Like the ordinary kind, symptoms of the pulsatile tinnitus can be pacified by prescribed drugs. However, the fundamental cause has to be separately treated, like hypertension. In this case, medications are vital to normalize or regulate blood pressure. Lifestyle and diet must also be modified, coupled with regular work-outs to keep blood pressure at a normal level.
Again don't forget that pulsatile tinnitus requires medical attention. Due to the involvement of the circulatory system, always be mindful of the critical complications that can arise from a seemingly innocuous symptom. Don't wait for anything dreadful to happen. Seek medical help before it is too late. Early detection and immediate intervention will definitely save your life. Don't allow your tinnitus to cause more serious complications and put your life at risk. Act now!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Thumping-Sound-in-Ears---Pulsatile-Tinnitus&id=3518643

By now many of you may have figured out that what you are experiencing is a result of many different things. However, what you do to control it can be the same thing. It can be controlled and in most cases can be stopped altogether.
This is tinitus and there are many, many forms. The more upset you get, the worse it gets.

To those of you constantly sticking your finger in your ears, STOP NOW! It will not help and it is hurting you. Instead begin to do the following:
FIRST: stop chewing gum - if you must chew only chew until the flavor goes and then throw it out; eat soft foods for 4 - 6 weeks - I did not say to eat baby food, etc but use common sense, no bagels, hard candy, etc.
SECOND: begin mild to moderate massaging of the area on your face between your ear and cheek (your jaw area). Many of you will notice immediate relief with this while you are doing it. That is not a sign to do it to excess like so many of you have come to learn - excess anything makes the problem worse. Instead do this 4 or 5 times a day for around 5 minutes or less.
THIRD: apply moist heat the same amount of time. Do not burn yourself. It should not be scalding. Again, common sense, if it hurts when you put it on your cheek, stop doing it.
FOURTH: do neck exercise. A very easy one and one which works is: sitting with eyes closed or open (depending on balance issues). Look straight ahead, then look up (taking your head with you) 10 times, then to each side 10 times and down 10 times. This is helping to loosen very, very stiff (from stress, etc.) neck and jaw muscles.
FIFTH: this is the final one, realize this is a direct result of something happening with you either mentally or physically and it can be helped. This WILL NOT define your life unless you allow it to. These will help but ultimately you must get in touch with what is causing you to be so stressed. Did the tinitus come first or did the stress? In many cases, it will be hard to answer. The one truth is: these help alot, once you learn that you have that control back you may notice that you do not stress as much and can break the cycle. Good luck.
I've had this "thumping" on and off for years.  Generally it happens within a week after I've been around a loud noise for an extended period of time.  What gives me relief is to find the location in the canal where some pressure causes it to slow/stop.  Then I put cotton/tissue in the canal so that it hits that spot.  For me this works and I am not bothered by the "thumping".
I've had this "thumping" in the ear -- both ears -- for a long time now. But it only happens when I listen to music, and not always. I don't listen with the sound very loud, and the "thumping" stops when I turn the sound down very low, or muffle it, or if I just stop listening altogether. It usually takes falling to sleep or several hours before I can turn my music back on and not have the "thumping".
This makes so much sense.  I've been experiencing this "thumping" in my left ear for a couple of days now.  I have been chewing gum and eating "chewy" things.  I also have been clenching at night.  I feel better knowing it's probably related to that.  The thought of dealing with this "thumping" for years is quite scary.
Well, I figured I'd find someone online who was experiencing this odd little thudding!  At least I'm not alone.  It has just started with me....in my left ear, when I wake up in the morning.  Mine really is like a muscle twitching that starts slowly then goes faster and faster until they all run together and stop.
Hoping I can just live with it; glad to hear people ARE living with it!  Thanks for your posts.  
I get this irregular thumping a couple times a day in my left ear. I've found that it helps to change the position of my neck and to massage just inside the ear for a minute or two. That generally makes it stop. It's almost certainly a muscle twitch.
I think I found a temp cure. Put a spongy plug in (mentioned above) then covered with a cotton ball with athletic tape. Sound diminished substantially.
I've experienced this for about one week and it's utterly annoying. If the thumping wasn't irregular it might've been a bit easier to handle (though, still very annoying of course). The irregularity of the thumping made it even worse and I don't think it had anything to do with Tinnitus - what I've read here in some of the replies. It suddenly stopped a few days ago and I hope it'll stay away.

mine just started today and i am pretty sure this has not been the first time as i suffer with a multitude of different disorders the most irritating of them all is my fibromyalgia but i have to agree i'm not a relaxed person and i get high blood pressure too and i also smoke and live in cold cold minnesota and i have a cold so much for gods help, i had a pharmacist ask me the other day why am i trying different narcotic drugs and lecture me about it and when you walk into a pharmacy with a throbbing headache and pain all over how are you gonna answer that question? i hope that with all these disorders comes more activists who support research and spreading the word on these disorders so that the world has more awareness.
I just started having this same thumping in my right ear a few days ago - sounds like a fast heartbeat but is totally unrelated to my actual heartbeat - and there is a slight "feel" to it as well.  It really seems like a muscle spasm of some sort in the inner ear.  One significant difference in my situation from the other accounts I've read here and elsewhere is that mine is triggered by yawning or suppressing a burp (I guess anything that suddenly affects the inner ear pressure).  Also, the thumping only lasts a few seconds once triggered and then it stops.  It does seem to be getting longer though.  I hope it isn't going to continue to get worse - some of the posts here are pretty frightening (best of luck to you all).

As for common factors...I've had mild "regular" tinnitus (slight high-pitched ring in both ears) for several years - and I also have mild hypertension (taking medication).  I haven't been checking my BP lately... maybe it's up. I also occasionally clench/grind my teeth at night.  No EXTRA stress in my life at the moment that I'm aware of, but my three teenage daughters keep my "normal" stress level pretty high. ;-)  Could be a factor.  

I guess I'll just monitor my BP and see how it goes for now and consult an ENT if it gets worse.
I've had tinnitus for 11 years, the thumping started last week, The Dr couldn't find anything wrong so I did some research and tried claritin and sudafed, they both stopped it temporarily, then i tried vitamin B 6, just one a day and it alone has stopped the thumping, so happy. B6 is good for you anyway. Good luck!
I'm having the same problem left ear about 6 weeks now. I'm an avid swimmer who always wears ear plugs and a cap so I think that has to have something to do with it; I think wax is stuck in there that won't come out easily. I love the conspiracy theorists who think we are hearing things because electromagnetic fields have vastly increased in the atmosphere, especially from 2-6 am. Yet another believes Aliens live in our brains! Still others say it's programs engaging or chip implants being turned on. It seems funny but people have been driven to suicide by severe ringing and thumping and it is really annoying me.  If I cover the ear, it's ringing as well not just thumping. And what about metal tooth fillings, that has been proven to pick up radio signals, as well as braces. Im going to have the rest of my amalgam fillings replaced eventually.
I too suffer from this extremely irritating sound. It too is in my left ear and it has been happening for around 2 years. I went to the doctors about it and the doctor looked in my left ear and asked if i was a swimmer in which i replied no. I do swim but by no means an avid swimmer, she said that their was a very tiny growth in my ear which a lot of swimmers get and water/wax gets trapped behind it. She said if it was really annoying i could get a small operation to remove it. I also notice the sound around the time of my period and still feel that its got something to do with blood pressure but the sound is defiantly irregular to my heart beat. I would like to be able to sleep on my left side occasionally without my ear banging on all night.
I'm so glad I found this website.  I just started having random thumping in my right ear!  WTH?  It doesn't hurt at all, it's just anoying!  I can't seem to do anything to make it better.  I guess I'll be going to an ENT soon.
I have had the same thing. For almost 3 yrs now my left ear thunps along with certain tones. When I stand under my umbrella in the rain it thumps with each raindrop that hits the umbrella. Certain male tones when they speak and the thumping goes right along with each word. It's not every sound. I was told I have fluid in my ear and have tried several medications and peroxide in my ear and nothing has stopped it.  I have also noticed my balance is off.  I was hoping to find some answers/remedy on here today.
Hallelujah ! I'm not alone. My right ear has had this same thumping for about three years off and on. Yesterday it was very annoying and yet today my ear just feels "stuffed up" and no noise. Another symptom seems to be a "crackling" when I swallow.  I am also a sufferer of "reflux" and notice that when that is acting up, so are my thumping sounds. Last night I took Zantac for my reflux and have had no thumping yet today... is this related???? I also have TMJ and wear a night guard for that like many others who have posted. I am a bit relieved to see that most people who have been scanned for  blood vessel blockages showed no sign of that.  I lay awake anxiously at night thinking that a blood vessel is blocked, causing a build up of some sort and that each time I hear the "thump" the vessel is letting loose. I just say my prayers that I don't have a stoke!!!  
There sure seems to be enough of us with this complaint to warrant a study at least.... Hey all you med students out there... do you need a study for your thesis????
I am 22 and I have had this problem for short periods of time (one hour to a few days) on and off as long as I can remember.  It's never been a huge issue because it eventually goes away but it is an annoyance.  
For me it is an extremely irregular thumping sound much like others have described...kind of like a pulse sound but not at all related to my actual heartbeat. Sometimes it is one or two noises and sometimes it sounds like a drumroll they are so fast.  
I also feel a weird sensation in my eye when it happens (like my right eye if my right ear is making the noise) like it's going to start watering.  It's more uncomfortable than my ear!!
I think the twitch idea sounds the most probable, and as someone mentioned above, when I put my finger in my ear as far as it can go it stops, so I am going to try the ear plug trick and see if it works.
Going right back to one of the earliest posts, this condition may be myoclonus, not monoclonus.

I found a useful (but slightly technical) article  at http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=71 which suggested applying firm pressure to lower cheekbones (zygomatic bone) using heel of hands for about 30 seconds.

It has just worked for me, though you might want to check with medical staff before trying it.  Better than sticking my finger etc. in my ear. Just looks weird to my co-workers.

Hope this helps some of you suffering out there.
I just had an episode.  Sounds like someone beatng a drum.  doesn't hurt.  just caught me off guard couse I have had these sounds in my ears before... but it had been a while.  

lasted for a short time ... been gone since I started this post

Anna
I just posted... new to this site... anyway... I just had an episode of thumpping sound in my ear, left one to be exact.  It didn't hurt.... short lived, and no longer there... gone :-)   It just caught me off guard because it had been a while since I had felt and heard that sound in my ear....

thanks
I've been suffering from this pulsing noise in my right ear for about 4 years now.  The first time was about 2 or 3 beats and I was lying down.  I was a bit freaked out but it didn't happen again for another year.  Again it happened last year - every time seems to coincide with a stressful event.  This time, about 2 weeks ago it started when I went to bed and it didn't stop.  All night I was awake with the thumping noise in my ear.  I saw two specialists last year.  One gave me an MRI and couldn't find anything.  The other gave me a Cat Scan and found that I have a 'high riding jugular bulb'.  Basically my jugular vein is a bit wider nearer my right ear.  However, he said I was 'probably' born with this, so not explaining why I would be hearing the heartbeat.  He let me go without really ever explaining anything, but told me it could get worse or it could get better.  I wasn't happy but as long as it wasn't ruining my life, I thought I'd be fine.  Now I'm not sleeping, I've had to get sleeping tablets from my GP and I'm seeing yet another ENT specialist tomorrow.  The most depressing thing is that everything I read says this is not treatable.  My blood pressure is fine, but I do feel my head is 'full'.  It happens mostly when I come home from work and lasts til morning.  At work I'm fine.  I tried over the counter water retention pills and for two blissful nights my ear was quiet.  However they don't work any more.  I may try Sudafed as someone has suggested here, but I'm hoping the specialist tomorrow will not fob me off like the last two.

Juliet
The only time I hear thumping in my eardrum, I found, is when I drink something with aspartame.
Comforting to find a group with my issue of pulsating ear and metal crickets in ear. It started at the end of March I had only soft ticking in left ear. I diddn't know what it was. I use alternative medicine. I went to my accupuncturist.I thought it high cortisol from adrenals. I had no pain. I then had dentist appointment found I had to have tooth pulled and cavity in back upper molar by ear. I was put on anti-biotics. I told dentist I had this pulsating. He said ah it is toth in need of root-canal. Tooth had had root canal 25 years ago.So no pain even with cavity..but we assumed root-canal would take care of this. I had to wait for appointment for endodentist had begiining opening for root canal july 16th..was on anti-biotis and ibuprofem 800mg. Had closing completion of tooth aug.16th...still had pulsating 2 weeks after called endodentist...he gave me 500mg more ant-biotics over phone and more ibuprofen....went in for check and picture taken...seemed tooth doing well and healing. But still pulsating sound in head and now cricket chorous like metal chiming.Went to ENT he said I now have lost high frequentcy hearing...I now know it is from all the drugs I took from dentist's.I usuallt gp to dentist every 6 mos. This time I waited 1 1/2 years. boy am i sorry I waited!!! Now ENT ordered MRI/MRA  of brain & ar and MRA/MRI of neck...This is scarey : ( I go this Friday @ 8AM and next Tues.8AM This is frightening...

Wrenbrook

Oh man I thought I was tripping this thumping in my ear ......all the things u guys say are the same symptoms I'm experiencing but it is. So loud I have difficulty hearing most time . Its so to the point that i  notice when the thumping has stopped breifly. Looking into N ent appointment soon
I notice that during the day, I usually don't hear the thumping, but in the evening time when everything is quiet, (like when I'm reading a book) then that's when I notice it. It will pulsate and sometimes I can even feel it. Like a little tiny popping sound. When I lay down at night to sleep, it goes away. I use earplugs on the weekends to block out the noise of my grandkids who are upstairs. So I think that maybe, earplugs are responsible for the thumping.
Wow I just did this... putting pressure to the lower cheek bones, and it did take some of the sound of the thumping noise away and slowed it down. But the thumping is still there. It is interesting how this slows down the thumping. I need to go to the Dr. with this... I have had this over a year and now it seems to be really bothering me to where I can't think of much else because the thumping is so heavy and constant. It never stops. It is driving me crazy. Took a Sudafed a bit ago as suggested by someone else on this page, will see how that works. Since I found so many with this same problem I don't feel so bad, thought it could be something worse. I just want the thumping to stop.
this is the closest comment to my problem the thumping is random but i have noticed that when i sit at the computer at work and at home it starts and some times when im in bed but no where near as much as when I am on the computer
It irritates me so much it distracts me from what im trying to do
Did the Sudafed work?
Wow!  brand new to this site, and it has scared the life out of me, it seems very likely that the "dripping rain onto an umbrella" sound I have had in my left ear for the past four days is going to be with me for the rest of my life, I have had a bigger than normal amount of stress just recently, coupled with the fact that I have had high blood pressure in the past, and bingo, I've got the same thing hundreds of people have, it's called "no idear" see what I did there, but seriously, this a a really annoying sensation, I'm only a few days in and I'm climbing the walls, so I can only imagine what the ten year veterans are going through.
I will give it a week or two then start the apparently much trodden path of the GP, followed by an array of ENT specialists who will all come to the same diagnosis, it's "we don't really know" itis, I'm hoping the medical profession will read this site one day and at least take a look at this very real (but completely ignored) problem, I would love to be the bringer of good news, but I'm sorry to say that I can't, so fellow sufferers hang in there.      
Wrenbrook, Ibuprofen can cause tinnitus.  Hope you are no longer taking it.

I hear thumbs that range from loud on some days, to moderate to soft.  On occassions, absolute silence.  Strange.

When you turn your head left or right, do you hear a whoosh sound?

What kind of scans precribed for you?  Understand abnormalities, if any, can be detected best by ct angiogram?  

Mine started in my left ear about two weeks ago when I was on a ski trip, and thanks to being housed in bunk beds with 3 other grown men I didn't get much sleep, for two nights in a row.  I have a feeling the two are related.  

Since the medical community has not come up with a name for this yet I am calling it; 'pillow-in-a-bass-drum-with-a-small-child-stepping-on-the-pedal-ear-i-tuss'.  

And with the clueless medical assessments I've read so far I am dis-inclined to try anything drastic.  And by 'drastic' I mean something along the lines of taking half a baby-aspirin.  I am no where near considering an MRI or exploratory surgery.  

I am going to get healthy and hope this goes away.  I'll let you know if it does.

Thank you very much.  
Dave "Noisy Conk Shell With the Hic-ups in One Ear" Nave
I got punched in my left ear last night....  Its not bruised or anything, just really sore..... But now it feels like its vibrating inside, and now in my right ear it feels like a pulse is in my ear.... Im 3 months pregnant.... Im not sure whats going on... Should i go to the er tonight?
My Cure, worth trying for others having this irregular thumping in their ears that comes and goes.
I noticed that I could re-create this thumping when I hit the reflex point of my knee (the part that the doctor hits with a small rubber malet to test your reflexes). Try taking a firm (but not very hard) object with some sort of handle and in the sitting position with your back straight, lightly tap your reflex point on your knee, for me it takes a few times before i find the right spot, but when I do I hear that thuping in my ear. When I have an eposide of thumping I do this and it seems to stop. I use a large felt tipped marker to hit my reflex point, it seems to have the right weight behind it. I don't have to hit it hard, just lightly in the right spot and it works.
I hope that it might help some people.
My theory is that somehow there is a direct line of nerves running from that replex point in your knee right by the ear nerves. I have no evidence to back this up, but I know that when I hit the right spot on my knee, I can hear it thump in my ear. Maybe I'm an annomoly, but I am hoping it helps some of you who have had this issue for a long time. Good luck.
This is for all that suffer with this, I had this over 30 years ago & lasted for over 3 years, nearly driving me to suicide.  It was a spasm of the Tensor Tympany muscle making a small bone inside of my ear tap on the eardrum. I went to any specialists who didn't know what it was.  I finally had an ear surgeon diagnose & cut the muscle/  I've been fine since.
The thumping only happens for me when I'm dehydrated, or if I've washed my hands too many times in a day and they are dry. Seriously! I drink water and/or lotion-up my hands and it goes away. Good luck.
I have that problem, seems to be aggrivated when I'm stressed but not necessarily..... the more noise the worse it gets too.....
Attend to ear problems early.  If you are on medicare you get two answers from ear doctors.   "Get hearing aids.  Next."  or "Get reincarnated.  Next."
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........i hear the same sound when i chew or move my jaw
My thumping just started tonight. It sounds like a bass from music but no rhythm and its goes like 2-3 times every 15-30 seconds then does it again i just wanna know what the hell is going on i cleaned them out pourd a crap load of poroxide in my ear. Even had my mom look and see if there was a bug in my ear
mine started today, I got out of the shower and it began shortly after. I have my first day at work today so i can only imagine it is partly to do with increased blood pressure? I suffer from hay-fever quite badly which may also be linked? Nevertheless i tried laying down completely covering my ear with the palm of my hand for about 5 minutes reading these comments and it seemed to stop happening as much. Going to the docs tomorrow to see if anything can be done
My husband started experiencing occasional pounding in his right ear about 2-3 months ago. The closest description he's seen on this page is "hammering". He may go several days w/o it and some days it may occur off and on. He had it while on is BP medicine and while off it (stopped it for a time because it causes coughing). He had a normal hearing exam but his BP was up so the doctor suggested that was cause (while on his BP meds 118/68 and started with the symptoms). I have Meniere's so I understand how ear issues can become maddening.
Did it go away yet? I'm not liking all these post about this thumping sound in my ear either. Nobody seems to know what it is!
Don't wait to get it properly evaluated.  My wife had the pounding sound that came and went on an off for a few months.  Then it stopped.  In May 2013 she became confused and could not speak.  We found she had an ARTERIOVENOUS MALFORMATION (AVM) that had become large and caused stroke-like symptoms by pressing on her brain.  These are RARE and it may have been congenital - they are NOT seen on CT or normal MRI.  You have to do an arteriogram sot find them.  When treated for ischemic stroke after a clean CT at the ER, she had a massive bleed (subarachnoid hemorrhage) and almost died.  She is recovering from this very slowly.  

Not trying to scare you, but you need competent medical evaluation by a neurologist to ensure it is not an AVM.  

i started having this last night and i have had bad allergies this year and lately have had a lot of drainage in my sinus and throat and I believe some fluid was trapped in there or perhaps the nasal swelling casue the thump not sure but I took my FLONASE and ten minutes later NO THUMP thank the lord !!
I began having this issue after a recent summertime cold with congested sinuses. I used a nettie pot on several occasions and I think the pressure in my sinuses might have started those muscle spasms in my left ear. The sound is sometimes rhythmic, like someone gently pounding on a wall next to my head. Yours sounds like the best explanation. It's definitely a spasm of some sort. From most of the posts this seems like a permanent problem that can only be fixed by surgery. Since I probably feel this thing 10-15 times a day and only for 3-5 seconds at a time I wouldn't be inclined to have someone start rummaging around in there with sharp objects... It would have to become a lot more of a frequent problem before I'd be tempted to seek treatment.
I don't think you read the posts very carefully. Nearly everybody is saying that the thumping sound is irregular and NOT in time with their heartbeat. So maybe most people here will not be helped by the information you have posted.

It just started happening to me in the last 48 hours, like some others I'm ok during the day then it starts late afternoon and carried on through the evening. To the person who posted about the stiff necks etc. thanks, I have terrible stiff necks and shoulders from too much computer work to maybe there is something in it that. Good luck everybody.
Thank you! This was helpful than the usual go to a doctor so they can tell you to take allergy medicine.
I have the same thing in my right ear. It came one morning for no reason. Did you know what causes that?
Thank you, I am a little depressed, I though it was hyperacusis and I am only 23.
I had this thumping in the ear for 3 days. Then, this evening I was at the gym and was speaking to the instructor, I told him I had cramp in my leg yesterday, he advised me to increase my magnesium intake as low magnesium can cause muscle spasms. On that basis I wondered if the thumping in my ear could be a muscle spasm due to low magnesium, so I have looked up foods high in magnesium. I've been eating these for the past hour and the thumping in the ear has ceased. So, it could be low magnesium levels.
What muscle is this? Has having it cut caused you any problems? Did you have it cut on both sides? It sounds like a drastic measure. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. I have had this condition since the '80s…always upon waking from a nap or from sleep at night…never an issue during the day (except aforementioned naps). Please tell me as much as you can..sounds like you have the best outcome of anyone of these numerous posts I have read.
My experience is that taking Tums (gas neutralizing tabs) whenever you  have ear  thumping sound  cures it. Probably it is related to gastric problems-
.

.

Let me know if you find out what  is causing your symptoms. I have the same problem that you are describing.
Hi my name is Joyce I have had this thumping in both my ears but with me having fibromyalgia it is more intense it just started last year (2012-13) I can't remember which year but anyway it makes me so very sick I have to lay down for it to subside just enough to function but if I get up it is so intense I can't stand it, so what should I say to an ENT when I ask my Dr for a recommendation of one?
I recently have experienced this issue.  My right ear feels full and it has come and gone on a few occasions.  The last time I had this and it somehow went away after I had about 4 cups of coffee at a friend's house.  It recently (last night) came back right after I had a huge mouth-opening wide yawn.  3 cups of coffee today so far and it's still here. I believe mine first started about 5 weeks ago, have been unable to sleep on either side because of shoulder bursitis, and when on my back I'm almost always laying my head over to the left side.  Not big on going to the doctor's so I might try some natural remedies for my ear.