Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Thumping in Left Ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Thumping in Left Ear

I have had thumping in my left ear for the past 6 weeks (everynight). It only occurs when I have been alseep for at least a couple of hours. The past 2 weeks have not been so bad. But when I do wake I have the thumping in my ear for about 10secs and then it normally goes away. Where as before this it would wake me up in the middle of the night and keep me awake for some times 30min. When I do have a drink of alcohol the thumping seems to be louder than if I don't. I find that most of the time, if the thumping will not go away normally if I chew on something it will. What do you think this could be?
Tags: left ear
You should see an ear nose and throat specialist.  There are many things that this can be and only an accurate diagnosis from a dr would really benefit you.  While you are waiting for your apointment you could try an Afrin portocol - 3 days of using Afrin twice and day followed by 3 days of not using Afrin at all.  Do NOT use Afrin for more than 3 days at a time as it can cause rebound (similar to addiction) congestion and make things worse.

Feel better.
Sounds like Pulsatile Tinnitus.  Have you seen a physician about this?  

Feel better.
Ok thank you for your help.