"Thumping" sound in middle ear canal
Several weeks ago I developed a "thumping" in my left ear that occurs most often  at night when I wake up from sleep during the night. It occurs more often if I am sleeping on my left side. The thumping occurs in patterns of two and can repeat several times before ending. During the day it may occur once, twice, or not at all. I believe that this is caused by a muscular contraction either in the middle ear or the throat. Sometimes yawing can bring it on, other times not.
  I had a middle ear infection which cleared up prior to this. My ent put me on Nasacort AQ which I have discontined.
  Additionally, I have begun weaning myself off Klonopin (a benzo) when this whole thing began. Are the two possibly related? If not what is the cause? I have seen my cardiologist and had a dopler study of my carotids which proved to be negative. I do not have hypertension.
  In summary, I don't know if going off the benzo is the cause, or if something like this arises at random.
   What do you suggest that do. I have made another appointment with my ent.

Hi,,,,I'm not a doctor, and you might want to see a dr about this, but I've had that kind of thumping and it's related to my allergies. I will sometimes get inner ear fluid, a slight thumping sound and makes me a little dizzy. It's from my allergies. The best!   Susan
I've had the same type of "thumping" in my left ear on and off for several years.  I only hear it in my left ear when I lay down to sleep on the right side. It's like tom-toms and I often have to change position to get it to stop.  Hope you get a definitive answer because I've often wondered what it was too.  Good luck!  
Hi!

I have the same problem in my left ear. It happens once or twice a week, more often at night when I lie on my side. It's not painful, but it is annoying! I had it happen to me at work today and had to dismiss myself from serving a customer until the sound went away. It's really frustrating, especially when trying to sleep.

I'm going to the doctor about it tomorrow so I'll hopefully have an answer or a suggestion to the problem.

Cheers.
'Annoying' is best description of ear canal thumping.  Just started couple weeks ago - right ear affected.  Like Susan - I have experienced dizzy/lightheaded effect twice now when waking up.  Funny thing the similarities:  (most) right ear; two rhythmic  'thumps' (mine are fairly quiet); mostly at night; and all looking for answers.  No allergies here, and never ear or head aches.  ;)     Cheers!
My irregular and intermittant thumping in the left ear turns out to be a heart valve problem.  I am 63 y.o. and had a heart attack, 90% heart artery blockage cleared and stented.  I'm on the usual Metoprolol, lisinopril, lipitor, plavix and baby aspirin regimen.