Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Tightness of Throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Tightness of Throat

Hi, since several days ago, after I was informed of bad news about my past job, I have been suffering from tightness of throat, and because of this I am afraid to eat any kinds of foods. I feel like I might choke on the food and not be able to breath. So for couple days now all I have been eating is soups, milk, water and juice. I really want to eat but this fear that I might choke does not go away. Also I feel like I might have mucus in my throat that needs to broken up. I have been suffering from minor anxiety for a year now, however I have not been taking medication because I have figured out a way to calm myself by stretching, meditating, praying and walking around the park. However this tightness of throat is new and is affecting my eating and it has been very stressful. Please someone out there help me understand what is going on with my throat. My family doctor told me on the phone that I should take a ( ) medicine, dont know the name but basically it calms any anxiety temporary. He believes that its from anxiety if it has only occured for couple of days. I myself think that its due to anxiety also, however since its affecting my eating happits, I feel like there must be something else I can do instead of stretching and meditating or taking the medicine.