Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Tinnitus keeping me awake at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Tinnitus keeping me awake at night

I have some sort of tinnitus in my left ear and for the last few nights the noise has been keeping me awake. It's extremely frustrating. Usually I can get into a position that stops the noise and I can sleep peacefully. But it's kept me tossing and turning for the last few nights and I'm really begging for a good night's sleep.

I think my tinnitus may be linked to my pulse, as the noise pulsates in time with my pulse. The noise doesn't seem to bother me as much when I'm up doing things through the day, but at times I've noticed, it's when I go to relax and my breathing becomes lax and shallow, the noise starts up and drives me insane. I'll go out of my way during the day to keep cardiovascular exercise up in case the problem is linked to blood pressure, but this doesn't appear to help subside the noise.
Also, if I put pressure on the area directly behind my left earlobe, the noise stops. I don't know how this is linked.

One other fact is that, in the build up to hearing the noise, some sort of pressure or something seems to build up in my head and I can feel when I'm about to hear the noise. It's incredibly annoying.
I've been to a specialist who drew a whole diagram of what was happening but basically said that there was nothing that could be done, that it was possible it could just cease to happen one day when I was older, or something to that effect. I'm aware of implants that could help but I'm not willing to go that far just yet, as the noise is not frequently a hassle, and is only this bad every once in a while. However, those with tinnitus would know that when the noise is at it's worst, it is unbearable.

I would be grateful if anyone could impart any insight or knowledge of exactly what's going on with my ear or any methods that worked to help ease the intensity of their tinnitus.
Thanks for your time.
I have the same thing for the past two weeks or so. Lately I've been hearing ringing in both of my ears, it will switch sides every now & then. The ringing has been going on since about December, & now lately, I've had the pressure around my head as well, mostly to the back of my head. It also causes some sort of dizziness/vertigo. As if I'm rocking/whirling. It's very distracting & I will be heading to the doctors today as soon as I can get off of work. I'm very scared it might be something serious. =( It's also worrysome because I'm only 21years of age. I pray to God it is nothing serious, as I'm prone to being a hypochondriac ='(
Have you tried playing some relaxing sounds like the ocean/waves or turning the tv or radio on just loud enough to mask out what ur hearing.  Tinnitus is very tricky but the one thing you dont want to do is think about it or get stressed out from it,, it will make the tinnitus louder,, you want to treat the tinnitus just like you would a fan from a computer or the noise from the air conditioner,, what do you mean  when you say implants?