Tip of nose: Excruciating *PAIN*
For the past week or so I've been experiencing nose bleeds, open sores in my nose and swelling and pain on the tip of my nose(on the left side). The sores and bleeding is only in the left nostril. My nose bleeds aren't free flowing. It's more like a small amount of blood that appears when I blow my nose.

My left nostril(on the tip) is very firm and the pain is sometimes excruciating. I thought it might possibly be a pimple under my skin that wasn't surfacing at first. (that's how it feels anyway)

Has anyone ever experienced this?
I have similar symptoms too as you all have. Although I never have had this kind of painfull sore inside the nose before untill last month. I've noticed the nose is dry, got some blood spots when I blow my nose especially when I get up.

It all started on my right nostril further inside just between the cartiledge and the bone. I goes away after almost a week without treatment.

Two days after my left nose also got infected. All this time I thought it's just another acne. This time the infection was more near the opening where I was able to squezz the puss with blood. Took Sumapen 250 3/day for a week.

It went away but only a week my right nose was again infected midway between the bone and nose opening. Took Doxycycline 100mg 3/d it went away without sweling so much.

Now this time it's back near the opening left nostril. I could see the yellowish abscess. Now I'm not taking any medication, just Mefenamic Acid (e.g. Advil).  

The skin is always firm outside and excruciating pain even on lighttouch. Redness is apparent from outside. Nose is always dry and blood spots.
I'm not sure what's the cause, I didnt eat nuts for a month already, Palm oil, etc is always been common in my diet evesince this too can't be the cause.

Right now it's impossible to see a doctor, that's why I come across this page looking for answers. How it started and the frequency is starting me to worry that this is not a common thing. And I know I'm not the only one.
Some news I have not read here yet. My doctor originally thought it was an infection and prescribed anti-biotics but then called me the next day to prescribe and anti-viral. She said it could also be herpes simplex (related to cold sore) just happening in nose. Do you also get ulcers in your mouth? A couple times a year maybe I always get a little ulcer pretty much in same spot inside my mouth. My nose issue could be related. Just thought I'd share.
Possibly Herpes Zoster (related to Chicken Pox)
hi, a little over a month ago, my nose had little boughts of blood especially with blowing, it started after a day of stuffiness. like I said it has been a little over a month, inside of my nose is swollen in spots & tender, scabbing from little bits of blood make it difficult to breath out of that side of my nose. The outside of my nose, the very end is VERY tender, and a little red, make up doesn't cover it very well, I also have high blood pressure on occasion, & rosacea. I haven't seen my GP yet, but I thought it might be a staph infection before I found this sight, I am glad I found this sight, now I won't feel like an idiot, visiting the Dr.......
"Hey doc the tip of my nose hurts what do you think?"
Good luck to you all & I hope you are get better.....
Ok, second time in a month that tip of my nose started hurting then turned red and swollen and so painful I can barely function. Called the doc and he just called in more antibiotics again. I want to know what the heck is causing this!! Sick of taking antibiotics. And the last time I took them I was on 4 a day for 10 days. I always take them all to the end. I noticed the second time it started it was very cold out and I was driving with the heat blasting in the car. Could it be dryness? But my membranes are always fine. And was using saline nasal spray almost daily before the first time it happened. And it always seems to originate internally, no sore on inside or outside of nose that I can detect.
not sure, but I too have been suffering... since Feb. of this year, symptoms are same crusty.. soreness... extreme tenderness. I agree it has felt as though it was a painful pimple yet no pimple, my doctor prescribed cortizone put on my nose and vaseline inside... it gives temporary relief but symptoms return in different spot usually... I believe it is an infection of some sort also, but have been on different medications throughout the year that should have taken care of infection and yet it hasn't sadly when I tell anyone of the extreme pain they have no conception so thank you for sharing with me so now at least I don't feel so alone so to speak... yet remain baffled.
ive been told its impatigo. i got mine after working with a friend cleaning a old doctors office and not wearing gloves. it started with my nose being VERY sore at the tip and to touch AT ALL. then i started getting like little crusts on the inside and they would bleed. they come and go i cant afford to see a doc but ive been using neosporin and its not spread. its been going on for months now since i cleaned its all i can assume it is even though its not spread like typical impatigo has.
i got my nose pierced last summer. it got infected so i took it out and the infection went away. so a few days ago i woke up and my nose hurt really really bad. when i flare my nose like i smell something day it hurts. when i tough it it hurts. i thought it was a zit or something. i just started my cycles so i know its not that. my nose is also swollen but all the pain and swelling is on my left side close to my mouth. its red alittle too. can SOMEONE HELP ME PLZ
Hi everyone. I too have a sore nose tip. The reason that people are getting so many explanations from their doctors is that there are many possible causes for these symptoms. One of the disciplines in medicine is to resist the urge to accept a single explanation until all of the others have been ruled out. This is the danger of doctoring yourself by doing google searches. It is a natural impulse to want to find the ONE answer, and once one fits settle on that one. Especially since people have agendas (conscious or not) when looking. So some people decided in advance that the cause must be nutritional, or toxic, or Imbalance, or drug side effect, or whatever, and they search for a cause that fits that agenda. Even doctors do this. The right approach is to list ALL of the possible causes, organize them according to likelihood, eliminate the ones that don't fit, test for the ones that might fit, and then the one that is left over is the one. This is called "making a differential diagnosis". It is what physicians do all the time, although you don't see it. Mechanics also do this, as do mothers - the difference is that doctors have many many more very complicated possibilities on their lists (which they have trained for 7 to 10 years to learn).

So below are some of the most likely causes of Tip-of-the-nose-Itis:
The tissue on the tip of the nose is spongy and has lots of places where a small abscess (pimple that has not erupted) could easily form and brew slowly, out of reach of topical creams.

Everybody's nose has Staph and Strep. It is normal flora on everyone's skin. The reason people get strep or staph infections is that the bacteria get through the naturally protective outer skin through small breaks, or the bacteria overgrows, or your immune system is weakened temporarily, or you have acquired a stronger strain (MRSA, for example, which about 1/4 of the population now has, and which doesn't cause problems except under the circumstances above).
Viruses can also cause the problem. Herpes virus infects along sensory nerve tracts, and if you look up Trigeminal Nerve you will see that the person who had sores on the ears and nose and chin could very well have a Herpes infection in one or two of the trigeminal nerve branches.
The pimple explanation is also reasonable, since the bacteria responsible for pimples (Proprionobacter acnes) can also overgrow and may become resistent to antibacterials.
Trauma from boxing, or nosepicking, overdrying, or use of inhaled drugs (legal and illegal) can all damage the tissue and be painful as well as open the skin up for infection.
Fungal infection is unlikely in anyone who has a healthy immune system (eg someone who does not have an identified immune suppression syndrome - HIV/AIDS, Leukemia, the very young or very old, etc.)
Nutritional problems are unlikely to cause JUST a sore nose tip. Malnutrition would likely cause problems all over the body, rather than just one place.
If this problem continues to bother you and your familiy medicine doctor has not come up with an explanation and solution, see a skin doctor (dermatologist).
I urge you NOT to use colloidal metals (silver for example). Silver is a TOPICAL antibacterial. If taken internally is just deposits in your tissues and accumulates, possibly to the extent that it turns your skin blue (Argeria). This is true for any of the colloidal metals (zinc, copper, magnesium) that are currently in vogue. Alternative medicines can be very effective, or very toxic. Unfortunately, the combination of profit, lack of research, and loyal followers makes for a dangerous mix (I suppose they make the same charge against conventional medicine, but I trust the FDA more than I do a self-regulated "natural remedy" maker). So be skeptical of miracle cures - especially if they involve conspiracy theories or cost a bundle or seem to simple. There are lots of herbs out there that are effective, but always be cautious especially if you are already taking other medicines.
Good luck everyone. I hope this was helpful.
P. Fish, PA-C
US Army National Guard
I have worked in an E.N.T. office for 25 years and this is a VERY COMMON complaint from all of our patients... Believe it or not there is a simple answer as to why the majority of you are experiencing this. The most popular reason is you are getting sores and painful areas on the inside of the nostril or inner portion of the septum are caused from using nose clippers or electrical nasal razors to remove hair on the inside of nose.  you are exposing areas for infection to breed.  The nasal hair is a protector of impurities and should be left alone.  I guarantee everyone on here complaining of this had recently trimmed their nasal hair.
It was very helpful to read what you all have tried to solve these symptoms with varying degrees of severity.  This has been a very frustrating journey for the past several winters.  The doctors don't know what to say.  I've gone to an ENT, Allergist and my regular doctor.  I can't seem to get an appointment to an ENT during an episode and he doesn't relate to my condition other than confirming that my entire nasal and throat passage is inflamed.

I've discovered that I seem to have a rhinitis condition aggravated greatly by Smoke, Mold, Dust & FRAGRANCE.  I've eliminated the scented household products that seem to be everywhere.  Soap, Shampoo, Laundry Detergent, Dish Detergent, Make-Up, Plug-Ins, Potpourri, Candles, etc.  That definitely helped.  However, winter always has several flare ups.

My old house used to have a humidifier connected to the furnace.  I would put conditioning in there to keep the mold out and that also helped.  The new humidifiers seem to get moldy soo fast in my new place.

It is very difficult to understand what the connection is to a flare up.  Generally I dread wintertime.  I've suspected all the causes you have suspected, but no silver bullet.  Very tired of antibiotics and their side effects.  I do treat myself with ECHINACEA & GOLDEN SEAL for the flare-ups and that really helps.  (Colloidal Silver spray is also a natural anti-biotic) I will try Neosporin and nasal moisturizer.  

It seems that in the winter with the dry air (or something that would cause a nose bleed or hair removal) combined with my allergies is a combination that leads to my flare ups.  The one post about Staph is always in the nose makes sence to me.  

I'm going to try a nasal spray before I go to bed while also addressing the alergic conditions and see if that helps.
Hey guys..  Just read all of your posts, and was speaking to a friend that had the same problem.. He found that it happened after trimming or mostly plucking nose hair, and also not to sound gross but when removing those hard boogs that get stuck to the inside of your nose.  You know what I'm talking about!!  Lol.  Anyways, if you stay away from these actions, I think you'll find that the problem will be very much reduced, if not stop altogether.  Guys just trim your nose hair with a small pair of scissors and be careful not to cut too close... Hope this helps!!
**WARNING - THIS WILL BE GROSS**

First, I want to say thanks for everyone posting for more than 2 years trying to figure these mysterious symptoms out. Later posts (late 2010 and 2011) are starting to seem like more of what is happening to me. P. Fish's  (PAC) post was very helpful, but I think Not4Nothin really hit he head on the nail.

I've been suffering from the same exact symptoms for only the last 6 to 8 months. I moved from a desert climate to a humid climate at that time, I'm a male in my mid 30's, and I am a nose picker (but I've been a nose picker my whole life, especially when I'm stressed). [The embarrassing part is over, wait till we reach the gross part]. I've been experiencing the extremely painful/sensitive tip of nose, redness in a circular pattern about 1/2 centimeter in diameter on the outside of the tip of the nose above where the epicenter of the soreness is, no bleeding though.

I read this site about 6 months ago, and started using neosporin on my nose and inside the tip. I would get a flare up for 7 to 10 days, right on the inside tip and then it would go away for a couple of weeks and come back. It could be on either the right or left nostril, but always on the inside tip. Note: this has only been happening during the winter time, and this is my first real winter in my entire life (always lived in either warm humid climate or warm dry climate). I never experienced these symptoms earlier in life, but now in my mid 30's I've started to trim/pluck nose hair.

I've been trying to put this all together, and noted the staph/herpes/impatigo (sp?) infection posts which was unsettling due to the nose picking, but again I've done that my entire life and didn't have these issues (not that it is a good or clean habit). But nose hair trimming/plucking has just started. Before I realized this I did go to a general practitioner MD. He saw the redness on the outside, but could really see a "sore" just swollen areas. He felt it was a bacteria infection under the dermis and prescribed be bactrin (sp?), basically a stronger neosporin that I was to apply to the outside of the nose and inside tip.

Well recently I had enough with my most recent outbreak and felt a very small knot right in the epicenter of the redness (pimple like). I decided to pop it. **WARNING - GROSS PART** As I started to pop it, I saw what appeared to be a black head coming through the pore on the outside tip of my nose. As I pushed harder, a long black nasal hair actual came streaming out of my outside nose pore. It started nasal hair root first and then about a centimeter long nasal hair came out (backwards).

As with what P. Fish stated above, there is a nerve ending on the tip of our noses. That's way a punch to the nose makes the eyes water, and why any type of infection causing swelling at the tip can feel excruciating. My problem was an ingrown nasal hair, and possibly with the dry winter air, cracking membranes, and occasional picking (ok frequent picking) along with the trimming/plucking I have had some hairs grow the wrong way (or maybe it was just this one hair causing multiple infections/inflammations). I don't know how long it takes for a centimeter in length size of nasal ingrown hair to grow, but maybe it's been just the one hair that caused all of this, or maybe I've had a few.

I know this probably isn't the answer for everyone, but for maybe some I you. I was shocked to pull a hair through my outer nose pore. But once I did, the extremely painful tip no longer hurt at all! That's why I feel Not4Nothin hit the nail on the head. Hope this helps.

PS: Nose pickers, don't be ashamed!.............................(everyone does it)
It is an infection, i used a antibacterial cream for a few nights on a q tip in both nostrils and now all the symptoms are gone!! :)
Hi everyone,

Since last year sometime in Oct.....I started out with almost like a blister on the inside of my nose....the outer inside. After a few hours, I noticed severe extreamly sharp pains on both sides of my head.  After a few days the blister will then turn into an open sore and crust over....usually by then the pains in my head are gone.  My question to everyone is.....have you all been experiencing these terrible pains in the head?
My mom experienced very similar symptoms:   GO SEE A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!!!

Nose pain that got worse by day 4, started getting alittle red and swelling began at day 4: excruciating pain when you touch the bridge of nose.  No known cause, she did not hit her nose, has no allergies, no fever/coughing or sneezing

I read online that it could be cellulities, & this needs immediate medical attention, and GUESS WHAT?  IT WAS!!!

COULD BE NOSE CELLULITIS!!!  GO TO ER OR URGENT CARE IMMEDIATELY.  The nose is close to your brain & it could spread to your brain!
If you are experiencing nose pain: like bruising/ someone punched you/ extreme tenderness, especially with no known reason and lasting for more than a few days, go see a doctor!  Better be safe than sorry.

Good luck!
I get this too, it happen with my nose starting to get a very tiny crack in it just inside the tip of the nostril, on the inside of it.  The crack happens from too much of things like coffee, alcohol, sugar, smoking, etc.  I end up messing with the crack because it either itches or gets dry skin on it.  Then I end up with the swollen, red nose tip that hurts.  It's most likely a bacterial infection like staph.  Staph, by the way, is a natural bacteria that lives on everyone's skin.  It is rare, but some wounds or infected areas can get infected with the staph that already exists on the skin, but our bodies are used to it and can keep it from growing.  However, some people may have a weakened immune system from poor diet, health issues, lifestyle, or sugeries (which is why people get it in hospitals or after surgery, because their bodies' immune systems are weak)
I woke up with the pain on the left side of my nose. Feels like someone punched me when I was sleeping. I though I look it up and I be the only one with this pain, I guess I was wrong. My guy says I am being a big baby but IT HURTS BAD.
It's good to know that I am not alone!!
The redness on the tip of my nose just started about 2 days ago or so!  I have always had sinus and allergy issues but I could tell that this was not the issue.  It does hurt to the the touch and I can not see any pimple of any sort.  I eat very healthy and work out regularly.  However, coming on here has made me worry just a bit about a staph infection.  I was however exfolliating my face (including nose), and a friend of mine had wanted me to try a new mineral face powder.(never tried it ever)..and it was ever since that I tried that,that this redness and hurting nose started to occur.  Could I be allergic to this mineral make-up? Should I go to the doctor? I think I will end up going (and calling tomorrow morning) just to be on my safe side. But is there anything I can do in the mean time ? I appreciate the help!  Just funny how this came up after exfolliating my skin on the nose and then trying a mineral make-up the next day.  Related? don't know but will keep everyone posted!
Hi everyone, I'm a dental student and having the same pain on the right end of the nose tip. Its excruciating indeed. However there are few things you need to track down by going comprehensive on your environment that causes such pain.

Causes at Local condition:

-Within the Skin
(area around the nose predispose to countless bacteria, they are however are "normal flora" which does not gives out local disease unless certain condition made them otherwise - mostly Staph. Aureus, coagulase negative staph, corynebacterium spp, propionibacterium spp, and mallasesezia spp. (don't bother about this list, just know that they are there)

Condition causing bacterial-fungal colonisation:
- Large pores which opened the skin for its infiltration. (You can make this happen by keep touching/ or irritating it, eg. chronically removing your white/black heads on the nasal tip without conditioning)
P.S: Fungal are also a possibility, check your home or work place for any signs of fungus colony, use a mask and clean it.

Solution: Topical antibiotic is empirical, and consult a skin specialist for products which promote pores closure.

If a fungus colony is found in your close space zone, make sure to remove it with care. Don't bother too much, humid area are prone to such growth. Apply Topical anti-fungal if it is suggestive, otherwise don't. Dry your bed, close those toilet door, and monitor when you have the time. especially your bedroom.

- In the Nasal mucosa:
Trimming your nasal hair follicle is okay, but make sure you cleanse it with care. Picking up nose and plucking out your nasal mucosa could cause infiltration too.

Conditions:
- If you have any underlying disease (a confirmed one), you have to take The Greatest measure to balance out everything, because a single miss-manage could turn out serious, so be aware and get as much as information from your family physician and keep a good compiled diary on your health. Otherwise, don't revert your mind away focusing too much on one part, you have so much things to do.

Pain and swelling on affected area is a sign of inflammation. No worries, it will regress.

Painless swelling need intensive check. Consult your doctor ASAP.

Other management: Stop touching your nose. Leave it as it is. Control modifiable risk which keeps irritating it, otherwise its very uncomfortable to have those persisting pain.

add me in facebook: my name is Nigel K. Justin :)

Have had the same painful cartilidge left side pain in my nose.  Hurts to touch, eyes water.  Feels like ingrown hair, pimple, hardened mucous who knows?  But it hurts.  I keep trying to take something out of my nose but there is nothing there. Putting off going to doctor.  Good reading all of the possibilities.  Aside from cancer or cellulitus it seems not serious.   I do eat peanuts so I will stay off them for a while and see if it goes away.  Thank you all for sharing.
http://kidshealth.org/teen/infections/bacterial_viral/staph.html#

-Hope this was helpful

-LightoSan
I got this from plucking nasal hairs too much. The odd pluck you can sometimes get away with but trimming is better I feel. Dont go overboard. Trimming causes irritation, but plucking creates trauma in your nose. Leaving it the way nature intended is better for health. Just trim it a little when it starts growing out of the end!

I've had the swollen nose end before, it got better on it's own. Most likely some kind of normal body flora taking hold in a slightly inflamed area inside the nose around a freshly plucked follicle. It hurts quite a lot and makes you look sillier than the nasal hair would have so don't pluck. JP
OMG. its so funny because I was reading your post honestly thinking, are you really being serious? It was hard to believe that a Nasal hair would come through the outside of your nose. I have had the pain in the nose for about 6 days now and the redness has gone down. Yesterday however there was a little bump on the outside of my nose that quickly turned bigger and had a little white head on it. Im the type of person that lets nature take and not pick at it because it could leave possible scars.. Well it got really white so I poked it with a needle and tons of puss came out and sure enough.. like you stated a whole nasal hair came out through the tip of my nose!!! WOW I couldn't believe it.. Its already starting to feel better and I just popped it about 10 minutes ago. Ridiculous. haha Thanks for the post man... It really helped
had the same problem about a month ago very red swollen left side of nose nearest the tip for a week or 2,thought it was a blind pimple or 1 inside my nose that i couldn't reach,finally i saw a little something,i thought could be a pimple i used a pin then squeezed it. and a full nose hair ended up coming out of the top of my nose ..wtf..it cleared up but the red spot never went completely away ,now it's f'n red sore and swollen again ouchhhhh.read some of your comments ,feel sorry for you all, but glad i'm not the only 1 hope you all feel better and hope this fukn hair comes out soon , if it's another 1
Sounds like a herpes virus...not joking.  Get a Rx for Valtrex, take it daily for suppressive therapy.
It may be an ingrown hair ???
I get the same symptoms, like an under the skin spot, or something sharp pricking the inside of my nose, which goes red & hurts so much that it sends a shock through my body if I touch it.

Having read this whole thread I really feel that plucking nose hairs is the cause, for me anyway. I'd never even considered it & therefore failed to mention to my GP (& he never asked) so I'm hoping that resisting the temptation, plus the course of prescribed antibiotics is going to sort it, once & for all...

i m having pimple inside nose on left side nd it z so painful tht i could nt sleep whole night, nd even it z imposibble to touch my nose coz f pain...
M frustated but dont knw soln . U all guys hv writtn abt ur problms but no soln!
Any one hvng soln for tthis
Working solution..
I met doctor in morning, je gave me few antibiotic tablets with a pain killer and a topical antibiotic cream to apply, i just used it once nd till nw i m relaxed of the pain..
I m better nw..
Will keep u updated whethr it works completly or not....
thanks all the staph **** scared me
So, like everyone, I have this same problem. I work outdoors and my nose gets really dirty inside. When I get home the first thing I would do would be blow my nose really good and then wipe it out with a tissue until it was completely dry! Then during the winter while running the heater my nose got even drier, causing it to crack on the inside up in the tip. Then there was a sore every day and I would pick it off every day and it hurt so bad. I did some reseach and also discovered it was probably a staph infection and the only thing that cured it was Bactroban (aka Mupricocin, i may have spelled this wrong.) Anyway, I happened to have this prescription ointment on hand for some bug bites my son had gotten. I put it on the sore twice a day with a q-tip and two-three days later..... ALL BETTER! Thank god! Ask your doc about Bactroban!
I am also facing the same problem. unbearable pain under the tip of my nose.
I got this very bad cold and cough around 3 weeks back. It took more than 2 weeks to get rid of the cold. It hardly been 3-4 days that cold is gone but since last 2 days I got this redness on the tip of my nose and it pains really bad.

I was thinking that this is just a temporary pimple kind of symptom and would just go away but as everybody else mentioned, I don't see the pimple.
Thanks alot for this posts, I'll go and visit a doctor tomorrow.
Today I went to the doctor.
He said it is just because of body heat.
He gave some antibiotic injection and 2 tablets.
1. Maxyday-IF  - 3 times a day for 2 days
2. Xylo Plus - 3 times a day for 2 days

Within 1 hr of taking medicine the pain and redness on the nose is reduce to a  great extend and I hope by today evening itself it will be cured.
i have had this pain myself. whn i blow my nose,touch it try to clean my nostrils out. i have sever sinus, allergies. i have had corrective surgery on my nose twice, the right side of my nose had to have metal plate in it it would not grow straght and would shut air flow off in that side.  i have  asthma and i had to have corrective surgery on my gums.  when i had dentures put in the top the dentist had to take a 1/4" of bone of my top gum first i thought maybe my plate was irritating that area since the plate goes all the way to the top. i just know the pain is very real. if i was to put it on a scale say 1 to 10 then the number would be greater than that. lets say 20.  when i chew on that side  it gets to where i cannot eat.  any type of pressure makes the pain unbearable.  i thought maybe i was the only one having this pain. but i am calling the doctor tomorroe.  it has gotten to where i cannot wear my cpap machine at night because of the irritation. i will let you know what he says.
in a lot of pain.  
i have the same problem on left of my nose.it has been excruciatingly painful and also tip of nose is painful,nose has been swollen(bone)fro several months but my Dr wont do anything despite me keep going back to him.he also wont accept that i have dercums cos of swollen abdomen and hard lumps allover it plus fatty deposits which he said he ddint know what tehy were and taht he had never heard of dercums/previous scans were all clear and Dr wont do anymore even though lumps in abdomen appeared months after i had the scans.
I, too, am expriencing an acute flare of extreme pain/tenderness in the tip of my nose (with bleeding, etc...).  I was grateful to see so many posts; and just put another call into my Dr. b/c now I am worried about possible staph/herpes infections.

BUT... there are two possibilities that I was surprised had not been posted yet:
1. I have a rare autoimmune disease called Relapsing Polychondritis, where the body attacks my own cartilage.  The tip of the nose (and ears) are the most commonly affected.  If you've had recurring episodes of this swelling and pain, I would definitely suggest this to your Drs. The specialists that are equipped to identify and diagnose this particular disease are either an ENT or a Rheumatologist.  It took me years of symptoms, tests, and repeated doctor visits to finally be diagnosed, because it is a rare condition.  I am not suggesting this is an "answer" for the majority of you, but some with persistent or recurring symptoms may want to look into it (other areas affected: eyes, trachea, chest=costochondritis, and some internal organ involvement).  It is one of the few autoimmune illnesses, that can also affect a majority of men (especially in the nose and ears).

2. My second thought may tie into this: I am actually waiting on a test to check if I have stones in my salivary glands (a special X-ray called a "Sialogram").  A large stone or a "blocked stone" could be causing all of my symptoms and can also cause a severe bacterial infection.  Look up symptoms for more info.  Causes can range from autoimmune illnesses (including Sjogren's, which reduces moisture/tear production in all glands and Lupus), overuse of antihistamine/allergy products, drying antidepressant meds, dehydration, etc.  

One test showed that I am not producing any salivary out of one of my Partoid glands (upper cheek bone near the ear) and they think I may have a stone(s).  But seeing as my symptoms are getting worse by the hour (including debilitating headaches on the right side), I am definitely going to pursue this more aggressively after reading the posts.  Thank you!  I 'll update my diagnoses after I know...perhaps it will help some of you get relief, too (because this freakin' HURTS!!)
Wow had to reply after reading all the posts on here, and my recurring symptoms are identical to jas333. Flares up about once a month at some point, always firstly the small crack inside one nostril becoming itchy, dry and sore. I've been given naseptin and other antibiotic creams from Doc which seem to help a bit but the really frustratin bit is it just keeps flaring up pretty regularly. Now the eye opener for me after reading all the posts is that I had thought the really painful swelling and soreness of nose tip seemed to happen after I had removed nasal hair. When the small crack first starts getting dry and sore I can't resist removing nasal hair from that area and thought this would help ! I'd started to think this might not be a good idea and now I'm certain it isn't. I guess there's some sort of infection which is always there but not removing nasal hair seems to be the thing to avoid to avoid it all flaring up badly. I'm NOT going to do this again and hopefully things will improve - I'll keep you posted !
Many thanks for this Doc, and much as I like my natural remedies, I agree with you - it's way too easy, and sometimes dangerous to self-diagnose. Having said that, I've been reading through all the posts and there seem to be two or three different "types" of end-of-the-nose-itis ;) here. I have the one where on one side if feels as if there's a blind pimple trying to grow, and the outside of my nose is a bit shiny and red - but definitely no head or anything I can 'blame' for the pain - a bruised, achey kind of pain. Then, on the left side, just inside my nostril right at the tip, really painful sore has developed - a burning, "acid-ey" sort of pain... and it feels like it weeps a bit, and I THINK I can see little tiny blisters (although it's hard to tell!). But it doesn't really feel as if its actually related to the other side... darn. It's both a relief, and a bit disconcerting to see so many others here with the same problem .. but sadly, no definitive diagnoses. So - I guess I'll take myself off the medical centre tomorrow and see if I can explain it to the doctor there in a way that will give him or her an 'aha!!" moment. *sigh*  Sometimes, I'm almost tempted to print out the results of my Googling, take it in to the doctor and say "Here! THIS is what's happening to me!" ... I'm sure they'd be impressed ;)
my nose swelling, throbbing, and pain usually comes right after a cold subsides, but this time no cold, just swollen, bulbous,throbbing nose tip.  small scratch like mark below the tip.  use abreva when I get a flare up. doc prescribed Valtrex a few years ago but not one for pills. abreva helps stop the throbbing and usually clears within a week.  always in the winter.  gotta used the magnifying mirror to see if its an ingrown hair, but in my case prob not.   good luck all
I have a infected pimple on the tip of my nose.. more so on the right side, infecting my nostril. I went to the doctor and she said it was infected and prescribed me cephalexin antibiotic.

I'm on it for a week, hopefully it will get rid of it. The doctor also said to put a hot compress on to reduce infection and inflammation.

I got a nose bleed the day before I got it, also when I blew my nose, I would see blood as well. But it's so sore I can't touch it and it's itchy as well, even when sneeze it hurts.

But I recommend seeing your doctor.
WOW, I can't believe how many people are having the same problem!!  I have had pain, crusting, swelling of the inside tip of my nose on and off for over 25 years.  Went to docs way back then, but no one knew what it was.  Then in 1997, while taking a microbiology class, we swabbed our nostrils onto a culture plate.  Mine had enormous amounts of bacteria, much more than anyone else.  Now I'm reading some of these comments and a staph infection sounds about right.   I recently began swabbing the inside, tip of my nose with tea tree oil.  It seems to help for a little while, but it always comes back.
I appreciate the advice to stop trimming nose hairs . . . I will for sure avoid doing this from now on.
I have noticed that cold air promotes running and dripping from my nose, causing me to wipe it more than usual.  I may end up wiping it enough that after doing this a couple of times my nose then starts to tingle, itch and become very sensitive to touch.  As soon as I notice this, I soak a Q-tip or cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide and keep dabbing the inside and outside of the nose.  If there is any sign of a blemish under the skin, on the exterior end of the nose, I poke it with a clean needle, gently try to ease out any liquid or solid from the blemish and dab that spot with more hydrogen peroxide.  I try to avoid wiping the nose with tissues, clearing it only by blowing into a sink, toilet or when taking a shower.  Yes, pretty gross, but, this helps prevent further inflammation and soreness of the end of the nose.  I keep up with trying to clear out the blemish and dabbing the inside and outside of the nose with the hydrogen peroxide several times a day, often for days, until healing starts.  
I use "food grade" hydrogen peroxide.  I buy a bottle of 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide Aqueous Solution from my health food store, and mix it with distilled water (http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-dilution-chart.html).
Maybe this will help some of you.

why do have homework your have are jobbed her jack ring game not the
maybe dog have juice bake and save zsmoutherson \
home at homes atting
I have the same problem, but haven't started bleeding (yet). I think it might be because of the facial cleanser I use, i sometimes rub it all over my face. It might have caused stinging redness and swelling?
ALL THESE COMPLAINTS-IS THERE NOT A SINGLE POST THAT IS REALLY CERTAIN????  It is disheartening to have to see all the suffering, and no one has any definitive answers to help!! I speak mostly for the tip-of-nose- brings- tears- to- my- eyes folks, myself included. Unfortunately, it seems nowadays, you have to tell the doctor WHAT is bothering you, and then WHAT to prescribe you for it! And, good luck with that-they don't want to be told what you think you need-they'll prescribe you something completely USELESS!!
Staph, is the answer. Everyone has the staph bacteria or can have the staph at any given point. Staph is carried in the nostrils and enters the blood stream through opening in the skin from a wound, scratch, irritation from the blowing of the nose, and spreads most commonly by a person scratching their irritated skin or a bump on the leg, etc.
Staph also has carriers that may spread the infection by placing the staph on or near others. Many time these people have no idea they are carriers but but there is an antibiotic ointment to put on the nostrils if they ever catch on.
Bactrim Rx and the antibiotic ointment by Rx from your doctor can help you remove the infection.
For prevention shower daily, wear loose clothing if skin is irritated, use antibacterial soap and sanitize-rs and stop believing that staph is only for nasty people or from being in the hospital and having some surgery mishap. Staph is everywhere and being educated on it is 1/2 the battle.
Do not play with a staph infection on the nose or eyes due to the fact that your brain is just on the other side, to keep it simple, and staph can and WILL kill you if not treated. DO NOT WAIT to seek medical help.
Sounds like you have a Salycilate/ salicylic acid allergy along with your MSSA staph infection. I found I developed many intolerances, hayfever, extreme reactions to some of my work substances like cryanocianide cement, washing powder, perfume. My nasal nerve endings were so damaged they would flare up at any usually harmless or relatively harmless substances. Salicilate buildup can be seen in a "gall stone". Very painful.
Hello, everybody. I get the same dry/painful flare-up around the edge of my right nostril too. I don't know what causes it, I've assumed it was fungal, but I know what works to get rid of it practically within 24-48 hours.

I mix australian tea tree essential oil with a carrier oil or natural balm at a ratio of 50/50 (basically just put a drop of each on my palm and mix with my fingertip). Apply in a substantial layer all over the problem area (even inside the nostril) before bed and after your morning facial routine before the day starts (so, twice a day). Try not to rub it off. If you're blowing your nose often you may need to reapply during the day. It may sting a bit at first but the problem pain goes away almost immediately for me. The dryness/redness clears up over the next 48hrs.