Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Toddler with difficulty breathing while he is a sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Hi, my son is 2 1/2 yrs old. He is growing fine and learns fast , has no speaking problems. When he is a sleep, he has a difficult time breathing, sleeping w/head thrown back, sometimes he stops breathing for like 5 seconds, and he sounds like he has a stuffy nose like cold symptoms. I took him to his dr. more than once and I was told that he has a cold !!!!!!!! It seems no way cold wold last for ever. This is just at night and it seems to be better from time to time. My husband noticed it helps when he pulls my son jaw out that he breathes better. Otherwise he is healty and growing up just fine and he speaks just fine.I am so worried a bout him. Any ideas please.        
:

My daughter is 17 months old.  She has been having the same problem for about 2 months now. The doctor insisted that it was just a virus and refused to prescribe any meds.  About 2 weeks ago, the finally diagnosed her with bronchiolitis.  With the congestion, you should put him in the bathroom, and let the hot water from the shower run for about 20 minutes.  Also try to position him upright, this will help open his diaphragm for sufficient breathing.  You, may also need to bring him to the dr., to evaluate him over night.  Preferably at a children's hospital.