Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Tonsillectomy Issue with palatopharyngeal arch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Well, I recently had a tonsillectomy (about 10 days ago) and the healing process hasnt been too bad. For the past few days ive noticed a small black spot appearing in one of my white scabs. As this grew larger I thought I could feel air through it. My parents (I'm 18) reassured me the black was probably space i was seeing between the two tonsillar arches. Now that more scab has fallen off i've begun to see that my palatopharyngeal arch is really a palatopharyngeal pillar and there is a large hole in the arch! I have photos, but haven't found anything online about this. My scabs aren't completely gone, but I don't like the idea of having a small pillar, which food and water can pass through instead of an entire webbed area. Thanks for any replies!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The scar tissue may take time to heal, so wait for weeks for complete healing of the incision site. Consult your doctor if there is pain swelling or discharge from the site.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
This has happened to my daughter. She has a hole in her soft palate now. There has obviously been tissue damage to her paltopharyngeal arch. May I ask, what has been the outcome for you? I have been searching the net but find very little on this exact scenario. (My daughter is 15)