Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Tonsillitis Wont Go Away? Help!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Tonsillitis Wont Go Away? Help!!!

Ok, So I got a really bad case of tonsillitis the end of sept...Got tested for strep but it was negative... took some antibiotics & was ok... A month later.. The same case of tonsillitis... This time got tested for strep again & mono.. both negative... Got put back on the same antibiotics.. Now it never has really gone away.. it gets ok where it only hurts like once a week for 3 weeks then it comes back full force.. Why wont it go away? Anyone had this happen? Any input would help. Thanks.
hi.it seems you are suffering from chronic tonsillitis with acute exerbations,usually in case of chronic cases with fibrosis it is hard to eliminate infections as antibiotics are not able to reach site of infection.what generally is prescribed is antibiotics with proteolytic agents like serratiopeptidase or ambroxol which helps in penetration of antibiotics.Also, in diabetics or patients with low immunity recurrent tonsillitis is seen.Please consult an ENT surgeon and get yourself examined
Bhups1 has a good idea of getting examined by an ENT.

In addition to chronic tonsillitis, you could also be be suffering from things causing a sore throat that's not related to infection, such as GERD (acid reflux, heartburn), or post-nasal drip.
Had tonsillitis for over 6months been to 4 differnt doc's also a ENT no answers just pills pills pills....i want to know if i can get them out with the infection still in????? tired of pills pills pills wasting money........and i was told you can die :(
yes, you can die from an infection, but 6 months is a long time to be infected, i'd consider other reasons for throat pain.  Ask for a second opinion from another doc, ask about GERD, allergies, mono, and possible need for tonsillectomy...
hey thanks still got no answers for it yet. is it ok to smoke cigs with tonsillitis? if not what is the dangers of it? doesnt seem like any doctor can give me any answers for my tonsillitis but to take more pills.
no, it's not ok to smoke with tonsillitis.  Your infection will heal slower even if you are on antibiotics.  You make it harder for your body to fight infection.  And over time you increase risk of cancer!
Hey friend, i still have tonsillitis, still no cure but to do surgery i wouldnt want to got job well paid but i dont wanna take off of the job so soon. gonna wait few months i smoked 2 times or more but havent felt any thing change drink big amounts of alchol no side effects with the tonsillitis, do you know any good pills i can ask a DOC to give me that you think would have most effect on killing the ingection what antibiotic do you recomend :) have great day God bless.
Constant Tonsillitis could also be caused from having Glandular fever, which can stay with you for some months. It is worth asking your doctor to test you for this. If you are really tired that is another symtom.