Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Tonsils, nose swollen. Scared. Help please.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Well basically. I got like some type of pimple thing in my right nostril. Probably not the best idea but I pulled the skin over it off with a tissue a few times and each time it bled. It was fine but then today I noticed my nose was really hurting and I didn't know if it's just cause I messed with it a few days prior but it is swollen and red and HURTS. All the way almost to my bridge and then a little on my cheek up the whole side by my nose to my eye. I thought I had tonsillitis a few weeks ago and went to due to white patches on my tonsils and them being really swollen. The doctor said it was just from sniffing and allergies. I had a really bad headache tonight and last night. I'm kind of a hypocondriact and my parents are sick of taking me to the doctor but I'm really scared it's like a staph infection of something and I'm freaking myself out. Or like shingles. I'm prone to infection because I'm super malnutritioned and never drink water. Any ideas? Besides the obvious that I need to change eating habits. Thanks so muchh.  
Is the bump still there? Also, have you been sniffly? I'm not a doctor, but I do occasionally get those obnoxious zits inside my nose. I suggest not touching your face for a few days, and icing where it's swollen every 2-4 hours the first day; next day, apply a warm compress (just a warm, damp cloth is fine). Also, you need to drink lots of water (I hate drinking water, but if it makes you better you learn to force yourself -- set an alarm throughout the day to help you remember if you need to). Your headache is probably due to your face being swollen, and putting pressure on your sinuses. Use a saline nasal spray to clean out your nose (don't use something like Afrin for this, you just want something to clean out your nose -- plus if you have to use it for 3+ days, you can develop a dependency to it). Do not pull the skin (or scab) off anymore!!

When I get a pimple in my nose, it always causes my nose to swell up (I guess because the nose wall is so thin). Since yours bled, it sounds like it's a deep one (vs pores clogged at the surface), which combined with irritating it would explain the amount of swelling you have.

If your tonsils are still swollen, try  gargling warm salt water every morning and night. I think the nose and tonsils are unrelated, but if you have cold-like symptoms due to allergies, then excessive mucus in the nose could cause the pimple in your nose to heal more slowly (especially since you irritated it by taking the skin off). You want your nose to be clean and dry. Also make sure to wash your hands.

You don't have shingles. :) However, you shouldn't rule out the possibility of a staph infection. If the swelling gets worse, or red lines develop, go see your doc immediately. If the swelling doesn't improve after a few days (4+), you should still go see your doc (just in case). It's hard to tell without seeing it, plus the excessive swelling may be due to you picking at it, or because it is a staph infection.

Again, I'm not a doctor. What you decide to do is your call.