Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Trouble Swallowing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Trouble Swallowing

For the past 24 hours I've been having difficulty with swallowing. I've had this issue before, but it usually comes on in the evening or when I'm going to sleep. But this time it's been an entire day and not getting better.
The symptoms of this are-
Food and drink are only mildly hard to get down.
The real difficulty is the swallowing when not eating/drinking. I guess it's a reflex? Something I don't really notice usually, like blinking. Right now, every one of these are forced. I have to try to swallow. A lot of effort goes into it. It can take 5-10 seconds which feels like a lot.

Breathing is fine.

I thought at first that this was my acid reflux, as I have that slight stomach acid taste in my mouth. But I can feel that it's the roof of the mouth and the upper back part of my throat that are struggling, not farther down my throat. Those reflex swallows start as they normally would, but something prevents it until I am successful at getting it to happen.

I don't know what it it is or what's causing it, but I'd really like to treat it..
Please consult a doctor about this. My mom just went through the same thing. After a year or so she was no longer able to swallow...it was as if something were blocking the way...she would have to bend over to let the water/food come back up out of her throat.
I can't remember what she called it, but it has something to do with the esophagus.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The common causes for difficulty in swallowing are enlarged tonsils and GERD. Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is caused due to reflux of acid from the stomach into the esophagus. It could also be due to disorders of the esophagus. You will need to consult your primary care physician who will examine your throat and may ask for some tests like barium swallow or endoscopy to determine the cause for difficulty in swallowing.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.