Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Turbinate Reduction and Dry Mouth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Turbinate Reduction and Dry Mouth

I recently had Turbinate reduction (August 14th), I have a cold head al the time, too much air flow and the worst problem is the dry mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a really hard time swallowing and eating!! The dry mouth wakes me up at night and then I can't get back to sleep! I've a very important job and MUST GET SLEEP!!! How do I stop the Dry Mouth????????????????
Jallao
Avatar dr f tn
Hi, are you on any medications like antihistamines? this could be causing your symptoms of dry mouth as the secretions are dried up. If so then check with your doctor he may change the dose or the medications. Snoring can also cause dryness of the  mouth. Snoring by itself indicates a narrowed air passages. For snoring you could avoid taking alcohol and try to sleep on your side as this keeps the airways patent. If any nasal blocks try to keep them patent with OTC nasal decongestants. Regards.
Hi, Thank you so much for your thoughts!! I take no antihistamines and I do sleep on my side. I failed to say that along with my Dry Throat, I have pretty bad heartburn. Am taking Prilosec for this now.  Do you and your colleges believe that Turbinate Reduction to just two Turbinates could cause the Humidity to be that dry in my sinuses and therefore my dry throat?  Also, my high stress job is not helping things!!
Thanks Dr.
David