Ear, Nose & Throat Community
Twitching inner ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

Twitching inner ear

Hi,  I have been experiencing on and off, a twitching sensation in my inner ear.  Similar to when your eye twitches but inside my ear.  Its not painful, I do not feel dizzy, but its incredibly annoying and frustrating! It may last for a few hours or days sometimes.  I had thought I'd got rid of it but its back!

When I think back only about 6-8 weeks ago I had inflamed sinuses and could feel that my ears were blocked as I could not hear properly.  The doctor gave me antibiotics and said that they may well be infected.

Does this have something to do with it?  What is it? Will it go away by itself?  Do I need to bother the doctor?

Regards  Anna
A belated answer is NO you don't need to see an MD. It is not an issue in the inner ear, but within the middle ear. There is a small muscle attached to one of the bones of the oscicular chain. That muscle is twitching, just as you described your eye does. It feels ans sounds like you have a small moth stuck in your ear.

Natura, normal & no need for concern